Most of us have been raving about the amazing benefits of coconut water, coconut chips and coconut-infused moisturizers. But there is one important part of this fruit that you missed and one that is equally amazing and super healthy. Right — Coconut oil. Did you know that coconut oil is referred to as the breast milk of Mother Nature? Well, yes and rightly so because of the remarkable benefits that it offers. But is it suitable for pregnant women too? Well, of course yes! Read on to know more.
Amazing Benefits Of Coconut Oil During Pregnancy
Coconut oil has anti-fungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties that helps prevent common cold and flu. Just 2 tablespoons of the wonder oil can keep your immune system strong to help you sail smooth through the 9 months. Those who are averse to the smell of dairy products during pregnancy can try substituting it with coconut oil. Let’s look at some of its amazing benefits:
- Coconut oil for getting pregnant: Did you know that coconut oil aids fertility? Well, yes. It is an amazing source of lauric acid (a medium chain fatty acid which is also found in huge quantities in human breast milk) that has positive effects on good cholesterol. Besides it is a great immunity booster for you as well as the baby and it allows you to absorb fat-soluble vitamins so that you can gain maximum nutrition from the foods you eat. It is also known to aid milk production during and post-pregnancy
- It aids in weight loss: The saturated fats in coconut oil helps accumulate fats that ensure you stay energetic and function well throughout the day, especially during pregnancy. Moreover, it helps the body to manufacture hormones and maintain overall hormonal balance. Women who are overweight and finding it difficult to conceive can rely on coconut oil to help shed those extra kilos while not compromising on healthy metabolism. Besides, it also allows your baby to get the regular supply of nutrients and calories for positive growth and development because it is easily digestible. So, that way it works as a bonus. Remember that when you chose to take coconut oil to help you get pregnant, you need to start on it several months prior so that you can get the most out of it in course of time. Of course, the oil alone is not sufficient; in combination with other healthy foods, a stress free life and regular exercise it is sure to benefit you in the long run
- It helps to prevent stretch marks: Try however much, stretch marks are inevitable to appear and stay on post-pregnancy. Even though you try to control the terrible itching sensation as the tummy swells to make room for the little one, stretch marks appear from nowhere. Application of coconut oil is known to lighten them and in some cases prevent them as well. The oil helps the skin stretch and moisturizes it
- Helps with pregnancy problems: During pregnancy if you are battling with morning sickness, constipation and heartburn, coconut oil can come to your rescue. The oil helps to soothe your tummy and flush out any bacteria and calm acid reflux. Vaginal dryness is another common side effect of pregnancy and coconut oil is recommended in order to ease any discomfort due to this
- Helps to soothe any irritation: Dry and itchy skin is another problem that a lot of woman face during pregnancy. Rubbing a little coconut oil on the dry and itchy areas will help soothe the irritated area. Also when you are breastfeeding, sore and cracked nipples can bother you. Applying coconut oil helps in healing the same
- The sperm-friendly oil: For couples trying to conceive and women battling a dry vagina, coconut oil comes as a blessing. The vagina is known to produce its own lubricant that makes penetration easy; but not all women are lucky. Hence they need to look for lubricants outside the body to enjoy a pain-free penetration. Of the many oils that can be used, coconut oil tops the list. You can rely on its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties to keep you safe and free from infections
How To Use Coconut Oil During Pregnancy
- Add coconut oil to your favorite smoothie blend. It not only fills you up but it’s a great energy booster also during those tiring days
- Since coconut oil has a high tolerance to heat, it is best for stir fries and cooking. Make a healthy stir fry using coconut oil and your favorite veggies and proteins
- Satisfy your hunger pangs during pregnancy by making a spread using coconut oil. Mix some coconut oil with a little chocolate powder and make a yummy chocolate spread which you can eat along with your favorite fruit. Let us give you a tip : Chocolate spread and strawberries taste heavenly. Do give it a try
- Try adding coconut cream to your gravies, soups instead of milk so if you are not a diary lover, this can be a lifesaver
Is Coconut Milk Good For Pregnant Women?
The Answer to this is Yes! All the above benefits that can be derived from coconut oil, holds true for coconut milk as well. Besides, it is a rich source of iron and helps relax muscles and the nervous system. What’s more, it helps maintain the blood pressure and prevents blockage of the heart. It’s a pain reliever and doctors always give a go-ahead to consume coconut milk during pregnancy albeit in moderation. Canned coconut milk is OK too, but make sure it is sealed well and stored in a hygienic place. Don’t forget to check the expiry date.
Coconut and its derivatives have been used for long to treat several ailments. It is regarded as a super fruit and used widely for regular cooking. And currently it is gaining popularity as a fertility fruit as well. In case you don’t particularly like the smell of virgin coconut oil during pregnancy, you could opt for the flavorless and odorless variety available. However, this is refined oil and therefore might not include all the benefits that you are expecting out of it. But make sure that you don’t go overboard in your consumption; keep it moderate, approximately 2 tablespoons of extra virgin oil a day. That way you and your baby are safe and your pregnancy progresses smoothly. So go on…indulge while it lasts!