Intestinal Worms are common in children and the infection can spread quickly. So it is necessary to get rid of intestinal worms on time as they can adversely affect the health of your child. Therefore, it is essential that you deworm your kid as soon as you notice the symptoms. There are many medicines available that your doctor can prescribe to deworm your kids But getting rid of these intestinal worms in quite easy. It can be done at home using simple home remedies. Read this article to know 10 effective home remedies that you can try to deworm your child.
What Are Intestinal Worms?
Intestinal worms are worms that present inside the intestine of the child. There are different types of intestinal worms like the tapeworms, threadworms, hookworms, roundworms or pinworms etc. Once the intestinal worms move into the child’s body, they breed and multiply faster in the digestive tract and cause a number of annoying symptoms.
How Do Children Get Worms?
Children are more susceptible than adults to intestinal worms because of their unhealthy habits. The eggs of these worms can be found on the damp ground, larvae can be found in the flesh of animals like pork, which rely on waste for their food. The Intestinal worms enter the body through their skin, nose, under fingernails and through food or water that has been contaminated. Here are some of the ways through which your child can get infected with intestinal worms:
- Walking barefoot in garden or parks
- Not washing the hands thoroughly after playing outside or after going to toilet increases the chances of intestinal worm infection
- Eating undercooked food, unwashed fruits and vegetables
- Drinking contaminated water
- Exposure to livestock effected with worms
Symptoms Of Intestinal Worm Infection In Children
The symptoms vary with the type of intestinal worms infested. The common symptoms of intestinal worm infection in children are:
- Stomach aches
- Itching around anus that becomes severe during the night
- Gas formation
- Weight loss in spite of increased appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Presence of worms in stool
- Grinding teeth during sleep
- Nutritional disorder
Diagnosing Worms In Kids
Sticky tape test and stool examination in a lab are usually done to diagnose the intestinal worm infection in children. During the sticky tape test, a tape is stuck to the anal region of the child and removed. This tape is sent to a laboratory for checking for the egg of these worms. The worms usually go to the bottom of the child during the night or early morning for laying eggs. The tape will, therefore, contain the eggs of the worms. The presence of worm egg in the lab test will confirm the presence of intestinal worms and the type of intestinal worm that has infected your child.
Dangers Of Worm Infection In Children
If left untreated, intestinal worms start laying eggs and rapidly grow in the body, the infection is, thus, spread throughout the body, and can eventually get into the blood stream. Once the larvae or egg get into the blood stream, it can infest vital areas like the cornea of the eyes, the brain of the child, etc.
The worms are parasites, which takes nourishment from the body of your child. This in due course results in malnutrition, affecting the healthy development of your child.
10 Effective Home Remedies For Deworming Kids To Provide Relief
The treatment of worm infections varies with the kind of worm that has infested the child’s intestines. The deworming tablets for kids usually kill the parasites without harming the child. Ensure that you give the child the medication precisely as recommended by the doctor to get complete results. Along with the medicines that are given to your child for deworming, there are many natural cures and home remedies that may help in getting rid of intestinal worms in children. Keep in mind that though these remedies help to alleviate the infection, it is not a replacement for the medication prescribed by the doctor. Therefore, never discontinue the prescribed medicines while practicing these home remedies.
- Turmeric: Turmeric has antiseptic properties and can be taken internally. Turmeric helps in eliminating a wide range of intestinal worms. Make your child drink a glass of warm water mixed with one spoon of turmeric once every day, for five days continuously. You can also add turmeric to buttermilk and give it to your child for a week. This will help to destroy intestinal worms
- Coconut: Coconut has exceptionally strong anti-parasitic properties that make it the most effective home care to treat intestinal worms. Both the fruit and oil are used for the treatment.
- Make your child eat a tablespoon of freshly grated coconut along with breakfast in the morning
- After this give him 30ml to 60ml of castor oil to drink
- Then after a gap of 3 hours, make him drink around 375ml of lukewarm milk
- Do this practice every day until your child is cured of worms
Extra virgin coconut oil will also help to eradicate the worms from your child’s body.
- Let your child have four to six teaspoons of coconut oil every morning for a week
- Not only will it help to eliminate the worms from his body, but it will also help to increase your child’s immunity and prevent recurring worm infestation
- Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds can help in eradicating intestinal parasites as the seeds have cucurbitacin, a compound that can paralyze the pests and stop them from remaining in the body. It is particularly very effective in expelling the tapeworms.
- Give your child a spoonful of roasted pumpkin seeds blended with a spoon of honey
- Take about one tablespoon of peeled and crushed pumpkin seeds. Add this to 250ml of boiling water. Brew it. Keep it aside for half an hour and then make your child drink it
- Cloves: Clove has been used from ancient times to help eliminate parasitic eggs and worm infections. Cloves are antiseptic, bactericidal, and antiparasitic. Cloves not only put an end to existing intestinal worms and their eggs, but can also prevent any future infestations.
- Add a teaspoon of cloves to a cup of hot water and soak for about 20 minutes
- Make your child drink this water three times a week to stay free of worms
- Raw papaya: Raw Papaya has papain, which is an enzyme known to be anthelmintic and helps to get rid of the intestinal worms. Both the papaya and its seeds are used to remove the worms from the stomach.
- You can crush the papaya seeds and mix a tablespoon of these crushed seed in warm milk or water. Get your child to drink this first thing in the morning, for three days in a row
- Mix one tablespoon of raw papaya juice along with the same quantity of honey in warm milk or water. Making your kid have this drink on an empty stomach every morning in order to help remove worms from his intestines. For best results, after a gap of about two hours, make your child have 30 to 60ml of castor oil combined with around 250ml of lukewarm milk. For the next two days, keep repeating this treatment
- Garlic: Garlic is a natural dewormer for kids. It is one of the most effective home remedies known to help soothe extreme itching which is caused by intestinal worms around the rectum. Both garlic and its oil are useful for this purpose
- Just crush some raw garlic pods and add a dash of Vaseline and make it into a paste or crush garlic pods and oil together to make garlic oil. Rub this paste on the area around the anal. This will help to destroy all the eggs and reduce the itchiness
- Raw garlic is known for its anti-fungal properties and is antiseptic in nature. So consuming around 3 cloves of raw garlic every day is also believed to help get rid of all kinds of intestinal worms
- It is pretty difficult to make your child eat raw garlic because of its strong flavor. So you can make your child drink milk boiled with two crushed garlic pods, every day for a week
- Chop finely five cloves of garlic. Mix with honey. Give it on empty stomach to your child 3 times a day for three days in a row
- Pomegranate: The bark, the root, and the stems of pomegranate are exceptionally effective in expelling the intestinal worms in children. However, the bark is the most effective in killing the worms because it has punicine in it. This acts like a poison for intestinal worms.
- Give 30 to 60 ml of decoction made of fresh pomegranate tree bark and water 3 times in a day to your child when he has worm infestation
- Take one liter of water and add 50 grams of pomegranate dried peel. Let it boil and evaporate to half. Give this to your child on empty stomach for 5 days
- Grind the root of pomegranate to a smooth paste and mix it in buttermilk and give it to your child for 5 days
- Neem: Neem is known for its anti-parasitical properties and can kill various intestinal worms.
- Powder the Neem leaves and mix it with warm milk and honey. You can make your child drink this decoction 2 times in a week
- Neem leaves sautéed in butter can be given to your child along with rice or bread
- Blend around half a teaspoon of paste made from Neem leaves in a glass of warm water and make your child drink it on empty stomach first thing in the morning continuously for a week. Give a break in between for a week and then repeat it for another week. Do this treatment every alternate week till your child gets rid of all the worms
- Carom seeds/ Ajwain seeds: Carom seeds, also known as ajwain seeds are rich in thymol, which helps in preventing the growth of intestinal worms. The seeds are found to work wonderfully in killing these parasites when combined with jaggery.
- Give your child a small piece of jaggery or one teaspoon of powdered jaggery first thing in the morning
- After 15 minutes, give a quarter spoon of crushed carom seeds with water
- Repeat the routine for 15 days to eliminate all the worms
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of ajwain seeds and blend with the same measure of jaggery. Make your child have this twice every day
- Add 1 tsp ajwain seeds in half liter of water and boil for 4-5 minutes. Strain and give this water to your child 5-6 times in a day for deworming him
- Carrots: Carrots are found to be most effective in eradicating intestinal worms especially the threadworms.
- Make your child eat fresh carrots first thing in the morning
- Drinking fresh carrot juice sweetened with honey on empty stomach also helps
- If you are giving your child carrot juice, try not to strain out the carrot pulp and persuade your child to gulp it down. Vitamin A in fresh carrots help in boosting your child’s immunity. Beta-carotene is also good for the eyesight of your child
We hope these home remedies will come handy when you are dealing with worm infestation in your child. If you have anything more to share or any other home remedies that help with worm infection please do share it in the comments section below.