As a nursing mom you need to pay extra attention and take care of your diet bearing in mind the fact that whatever you eat will get passed on to your baby through breast milk. There may be phase when you will be craving for something tangy like apple cider vinegar as you love its taste and look forward to adding it in your diet. Adding apple cider vinegar in your salads could be a good option. But your mind may be filled with doubts as to whether it is safe to take apple cider vinegar while breastfeeding or not? Read on to know all about apple cider vinegar and its advantages and side effects during breastfeeding.
What Is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is actually prepared from apples that have been crushed and then put to fermentation. This turns them initially into alcohol and finally into acetic acid. This fermented concoction is aerated and then sent to stores and sold as vinegar that can be used in various ways and it is relished worldwide. It actually requires around two years for the preparation of apple cider vinegar. In most cases, the end product undergoes pasteurization so that dangerous bacteria like E coli are destroyed.
Advantages Of Apple Cider Vinegar During Breastfeeding
Apple cider vinegar has been found to have a lot of benefits as it has been proven to provide relief from a variety of illnesses and health condition like skin issues, osteoarthritis, obesity and some chronic disorders. It has been also widely proclaimed that pregnant women who consumed apple cider vinegar have been found to give birth to babies equipped with perfect chemical pattern that makes them adaptive and strong to survive changing environments. Given below are some of the benefits related to consuming apple cider vinegar during breastfeeding.
- Fights diabetes: Apple cider vinegar has been found to be ideal in helping to neutralize blood sugar levels and thus fight Type 2 diabetes in breastfeeding moms. It serves as an anti- glycemic ingredient and the acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar lowers blood sugar levels
- Improves digestive health: Consumption of apple cider vinegar during breastfeeding provides excellent respite from heart burn and other digestive issues that you experience post delivery. It is often used to soothe intestinal spasms thanks to pectin present in it
- Prevents urinary infections: Apple cider vinegar has been found to be extremely effective in keeping at bay all kinds of urinary infections. As apple cider vinegar is loaded with umpteen minerals and enzymes that help to cure bacterial infections, this drink is ideal to get rid of all kinds of bacteria
- Aids in weight loss: It is ideal to help you reduce weight. Having around 15 to 30 ml of apple cider vinegar that is diluted along with some plain water has been found to aid weight loss considerably especially after delivery
- Helps in nasal problems: Apple cider vinegar is known to be effective in clearing blocked nose and helps to ensure you sleep soundly throughout the night. This vinegar if consumed along with some lukewarm water helps to clear stuffed noses and avert sinus issues too
- Helps in lowering blood pressure: Apple cider vinegar is also found to regulate levels of blood pressure and lower its levels
- Improves good cholesterol levels: The polyphenols and chlorogenic acid found in Apple cider vinegar helps to reduce oxidation of LDL Cholesterol thus improving heart function. It also helps to reduce the levels of bad cholesterol in your system thus protecting your heart
- Used for skin: Apple cider vinegar when topically applied is known to be excellent in alleviating a lot of skin issues that one faces post delivery
Precautions To Be Taken While Having Apple Cider Vinegar While Breastfeeding
- Ensure you consume only pasteurized form of apple cider vinegar during this delicate period as harmful bacteria like E. coli, salmonella and cryptosporidium are destroyed during pasteurization
- Make sure that the apple cider vinegar that you consume comes within the specified PH levels that can be consumed during this phase
- Take care to check whether the apple cider vinegar has been certified to be totally free of any kind of bacterial residues
- You need to ask your doctor’s permission before you start taking apple cider vinegar to ensure it is absolutely safe for you and your baby while breastfeeding
- Ensure you carefully check out labels and read the constituents carefully before purchasing this from the store
- Do not use concentrated apple cider vinegar as it is very strong and can harm the lining of your mouth and throat. So make sure to dilute it with water and an ideal ratio would be 1:10
- Use only appropriate amount of Apple cider vinegar and avoid going overboard with it in cooking, mainly when you are using it in salad dressings
Side Effects of Taking Apple Cider Vinegar During Breastfeeding
Although apple cider vinegar is extremely beneficial during breastfeeding but like other products it should be consumed in moderation. Excess consumption of Apple cider vinegar can have the following adverse effects:
- Dental Issues: As apple cider vinegar has high acidic levels, it can cause damage to your teeth and trigger erosion of your tooth enamel. Apple cider vinegar has also been found to trigger itching and irritation of the gums
- Drop in Potassium Levels: Consuming excess quantities of apple cider vinegar can cause a drastic drop in levels of potassium in your body that can be quite dangerous especially during breast feeding
- Skin Rashes: Some people have been found to suffer from skin rashes when they consumed apple cider vinegar during this period
How Can You Consume Apple Cider Vinegar While Breastfeeding?
Some simple, easy-to-make ways to consume apple cider vinegar for breastfeeding mothers are enlisted below:
- Dress your salads: If you like salads, then you can prepare a simple dressing with apple cider vinegar and consume it. All you need to do is to whisk together ¼ cup cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil to make sumptuous dressing. Add some salt, black and red pepper for additional taste!
- Drink it up with honey: Ready your detox drink with ½ teaspoon of organic honey, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and some ice cubes in a tall glass. Mix really well to get a sweet-sour tangy taste. You could add a dash of red pepper for that additional zing!
- Drink it up with herbal tea: If you like it hot, let your regular green tea steep in water for a few minutes and then add 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, ½ teaspoon lemon juice and 2-3 drops of honey. A dash of cinnamon could really enhance the taste!
Thus Apple cider vinegar is perfectly safe to consume while you are breast feeding as long as it is consumed in moderation. Also make sure your doctor gives you a go signal so that you feel absolutely safe and secure to consume it during breastfeeding.
Did you take apple cider vinegar while breastfeeding? Please share your experience in the comments section below.