What is a High Chair?
A High Chair is a chair made with long legs specifically to meet the demands of a baby or small child. It is a piece of furniture that comes with an inbuilt table to serve the baby food. The best high chairs seats are placed at such heights where adults can comfortably spoon-feed their toddlers from a comfortable position without bending down.
When Do You Need a High Chair?
High Chairs are not a necessity for newborn babies, but with their growing age as soon as they reach their 6 months mark, a high chair becomes a necessary item for your household. However, the most ideal time to buy the best high chairs differs from one baby to another. Experts recommend including a high chair in your dining when your baby can sit and his neck is strong enough to not fall on the table. Most parents are eager to buy a safe reliable high chair that not only would give their child a secure environment to try new food habits but also give the parents a little more time in the kitchen.
Which high chair should you get for your baby?
Apart from their great aesthetic look, a high chair is a wonderful inclusion to your home. They provide a safe reliable space to feed your little one and a great environment for the kid to learn to eat independently. Mostly people use high chairs for 6 months to around 3 years. Choosing the best high chairs is not an easy task, you need to consider the age, height, weight of the baby, and your purpose as well before your select your perfect high chair.
What features to look for in the best high chairs?
Buying something for your little ones is often a difficult job as we often miss out on some of our important details.
- It must have a good harness system and it must be safe for infants to seat comfortably.
- It should be sturdy enough to carry your child.
- The legs of the chair must spread outside. Vertical chairs tend to fall easily.
- There must not be any moving parts near the seat. It may pinch the infant’s hands.
- It must not have any stickers or small parts that can be put into the mouth and cause choking.
- The tray must not have sharp edges and should be non-breakable.
- It should have wheels along with locks for safe transportation.
- Reclining back seats are good for newbies.
- Head and neck padding acts as extra support for small babies.
- The tray must be easily washable.
- The seat should have proper padding.
- Height adjustments are a must for your growing baby.
- It should be foldable and there must be a lock for the foldable position.
- Adjustable footrests are good when the child grows up.
High chair safety tips to remember
- Make sure that the high chair cannot be tipped easily.
- There must not be any sharp edges on the high chair.
- The wheels of the high chair must work properly.
- The tray should be washable and non-breakable.
- The base should be broad for better support.
- There must be harness straps that keep the baby in place.
- Crotch straps should be there to prevent the baby from slipping.
- The high chair must not be placed near any heavy item that can be pushed by the child.
- The high chair supports a baby till a particular age, it must not be used for bigger babies.
- A 3 point or a 5 point harness system is a must and must be used accordingly.
- Don’t allow your child to stand or climb on the high chair.
Common Questions Parents ask
1. What to Consider When Buying a High Chair?
Ans – Safety ranks first when you plan to buy a baby product. But it is not the only criteria. So go through our article to know in detail the different important factors that are a must to consider.
2. Do I Need a Highchair for My Newborn?
Ans – Although not a must, using a Highchair helps the child to sit comfortably while the parents feed them.
3. How Long Can Babies Stay on Highchairs?
Ans – All High Chairs have specific age criteria. In General, most toddlers can easily use the high chair. Parents must go through the manufacturer’s guidelines before buying the high chair.
4. Are High Chairs mobile in nature?
Ans – Most High Chairs have lockable wheels so that they can be shifted from the nursery to the dining room easily.
5. Does High Chair come with harness belts?
Ans – Yes, harness systems are a must to keep your baby in place. Little ones seldom stay still, so the harness systems keep them in their seat reducing the chances of accidental falls.