Since pregnancy is a very delicate and important phase of a woman’s life, the mother-to-be needs to be nurtured and fed well. It has been seen that in spite of this most of the women don’t get the adequate amount of fruits and vegetables. Intake of a good amount of fruits and vegetables is significant for a smooth and healthy pregnancy. Eating healthy throughout pregnancy assures far-reaching benefits for both the mother and the baby.
Sapota also referred to as Sapodilla or Chiku is basically a tropical fruit found in the United States of America but even found in India as well as Mexico. It is a great choice for the pregnant women as it has umpteen health benefits and thus should make it to the list of a healthy and balanced diet. Before introducing the same to one’s diet schedule, it would be vital to know its nutritional value, the chances of its safety of consumption during pregnancy, health benefits, side benefits etc.
What Is Sapota Fruit?
Sapota which is also known as Sapodilla or Chiku is a common and tropical fruit which is very delectable and sweet in taste. It has a soft pulp which is made with fructose as well as sucrose. This fruit is rich in calorific content and is loaded with many health benefits for skin, health, and hair. The fruit is round in shape and weighs about 150 grams. The pulp is really soft and easy to digest and also has a sweet and crispy flavor. The presence of sucrose and fructose offers it the sweet taste that refreshes one instantly.
What Is The Nutritional Value Of Sapota?
The sapota fruit is enriched with many nutrients like vitamins, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, carbohydrates, copper, flavonoids, vegetable proteins, iron, selenium, and zinc. It holds a significant amount of water as well. This fruit is ideal for pregnant mothers and also for the developing fetus. It is low in fat content and has zero cholesterol as well. It even has niacin, riboflavin, thiamine etc..
Is It Safe To Eat Sapota During Pregnancy?
As this fruit is enriched with electrolytes, vitamins, and carbohydrates, it is ideal for the mothers who need to lactate. The sapota also helps in reducing morning sickness and dizziness as well. Due to the production of collagen, the stomach disorders are also in control.
12 Amazing health benefits of eating Sapota in Pregnancy
The sapota fruit helps in the overall growth and development of the body as it is enriched with nutrients. It is also soft and fleshy. It has an array of nutritional benefits that are good for the mother as well as the baby. Chikoo is loaded with, vitamin A, carbohydrates, and energy. It is rich in protein and helps with the overall development of the fetus.
Some of the health benefits by the consumption of sapota are given as under:
- Has Anti-viral and Anti-bacterial Properties: Sapota has strong antiviral and antibacterial properties. It also has anti-parasitic property. Therefore, it helps to prevent microbes from entering the body to some extent. It is good for fighting common infections during pregnancy.
- Boosts Immunity: The vitamin C present in the fruit helps in building a stronger immune system helping the pregnant mothers to not get affected by different diseases.
- Combats Constipation: It has a rich fiber content that helps with constipation and haemorrhoid issues. Fibers also shield the outer membrane of the colon from carcinogenic toxins.
- Anti-Diarrheal Property: Sapota is considered as an anti-diarrheal due to its laxative properties. A concentrate prepared by boiling sapota in water can alleviate diarrhea. It also helps to relieve piles and dysentery.
- Alleviate Nausea: The vitamin B present in the fruit helps to minimize nausea.
- Prevents Anemia: Due to high iron content, there is more production of more red blood cells that can help in the prevention of anaemia.
- Boosts Energy: Sapota is a good source of glucose. Pregnancy is a phase when the energy drains out and consumption of sapota helps in taking in carbohydrates that help with boosting the energy levels. Sapodilla is a high-calorie fruit. Each 100gm of Sapota accounts for 83Kca
- Alleviates Pulmonary Issues: Cold, chest congestion and cough are the symptoms that the pregnant women are more susceptible to and the consumption of sapota fruit helps in removing the phlegm and the mucus from the nasal tract.
- Good For Gestational Diabetes: Consumption of chiku helps to regulate the blood sugar levels. Therefore it is a healthy option for expecting mothers who contract gestational diabetes.
- Good For Bones: Being rich in calcium, iron, and phosphorus, sapota fruit helps to strengthen the bones of expecting mother. Maintaining bone density during pregnancy is important to bring down the risk of osteoporosis in the future.
- Reduces Swelling: Sapota contains a significant amount of tannin, which is a strong anti-inflammatory agent. This anti-inflammatory property of sapota is highly beneficial to alleviate swelling and pains, which are quite common during pregnancy.
- Healthy Skin: Vitamin E present in chikoo helps in achieving a healthy and nourished skin which gets disturbed due to hormonal changes. In short, getting pregnancy glow will be easy if you include Sapota in your diet.
Side Effects Of Sapota During pregnancy
The sapota fruit has good nutritional value. However, it even has some side-effects that can’t be overlooked. This fruit should be taken in the right quantity as the overdose can lead to negative effects which are given as under:
- The overdose of sapodilla can result in an increase in weight.
- Indigestion and abdominal pain are also the results of overeating of sapota.
- Consumption of raw sapota can even result in the ulcer, breathing issues and throat irritation.
Thus, chiku is one of the ideal fruits that can be given to the mother and the baby as it has a sweet and relishing taste and a great nutritive value as well. It is a healthy option to be given throughout pregnancy due to its high far-reaching benefits. After knowing this, sapodilla should be added to the diet schedule of the mother-to-be but keeping in mind its side-effects.