Pregnancy is the blooming phase in a woman’s life. It comes with a lot of anticipation accompanied by worry and anxiety. The expecting mothers more often worry about what should be done to be safe, what to eat, what not to eat, what is beneficial vs what is harmful, what foods to avoid during pregnancy, what posture to sleep, what exercises to be done during pregnancy. The pregnant lady needs to take care of the mother as well as the baby developing inside her as advice and suggestions start rolling in. The mother should choose the foods wisely, exercise daily and rest well for a safer and smoother delivery.
Foods that can be consumed at this time are debatable one, and one needs to know if they can be consumed or refrained from. As per the experienced and old people, some food and medicines are considered safe while some believe they will follow the doctor’s word which is the best bet as it keeps them safe. Out of all the debatable ones, evening primrose oil is undoubtedly one of them.
Going forward, we will get an insight into what is evening primrose oil, its nutritional information, its benefits, side-effects, and how safe it is to be consumed during pregnancy.
What is Evening Primrose Oil?
Evening primrose oil is a herbal one which is extracted from a flowering plant called evening primrose which is primarily found in the North American states.
This oil is famous for the medicinal benefits and known for the treatment of premenstrual symptoms as well as skin disorders. It is readily available in capsule form which can be taken orally or can even be split for obtaining oil that can be used for a massage. It is quite famous for its medicinal value, especially for treating premenstrual symptoms and skin disorders.
The natives of America use the roots, seeds, and leaves as their food and even make bandages and plasters from this plant for healing the bruises or the injuries. Haemorrhoids can also be treated by making a concoction out of this oil. The leaves of the evening primrose help in treating wounds, healing the sore throat issues and can even work as a remedy for the gastric problems as well.
The oil from the evening primrose can even be used for treating the brittle nails, hair, and relief from PMS symptoms.
Nutritional Value of Evening Primrose Oil:
The oil also works as an excellent dietary supplement as it is enriched with fatty acids, etc. which are required by the body but cannot be produced by itself so needs to take them from the food.
It is even enriched in the linoleic acid that is needed by the body to produce chemicals that help in many body functions.
What Are The Benefits Of Evening Primrose Oil During Pregnancy?
Evening primrose oil is an organic one, and it offers many benefits which are listed as under, and they are as follows:
- It helps in getting rid of the breast pain, the discomfort at early stages or any complications one experiences in the first three months of pregnancy.
- It is widely used for treating fertility issues.
- It is believed that the oil extract also helps to improve the possibility of fertilisation post ovulation.
- It helps in the prevention of high blood pressure and delayed delivery.
- It helps the cervix for getting ready for labour.
- It helps to prevent preeclampsia and delayed labour
- It helps in the prevention of tearing, which is common in labour.
What Are The Side Effects of Consuming Evening Primrose Oil?
Evening primrose oil is loaded with many benefits which have been listed before. However, it has some side effects as well, and the common ones of consuming evening primrose oil are:
- Diarrhoea and stomach upset
- Nausea, cramps in the abdominal area
- Consumption of evening primrose oil makes the seizures more prevalent if one has a history of it
- Profuse bleeding after delivery
Is Evening Primrose Oil Safe During Pregnancy?
To find the answer to this question, one must accept its answer as a combination of yes as well as no. Let us understand it further:
- It is highly advised by the midwives as it helps the cervix to ripen and even helps in inducing labour. (for the same reason, untimely over intake of this oil may end up in preterm labour or abortion)
- It is supposed to be of use in the first three months, but with the advancement of pregnancy, it needs to be used with proper care and attention.
- As per doctors, if the pregnant lady has been using evening primrose oil before the pregnancy, she should stop it once she conceives.
- It is ideal to find different sources than consuming evening primrose oil to find out the suggested dosage of important and essential fats.
Thus, after assessing both sides, it can be said that it is always an excellent option to refrain from using evening primrose oil while pregnant. It is advisable to opt for alternate natural methods for inducing labour as evening primrose might not be favourable for all as it leads to contractions. It is always recommended to get a go-ahead from the doctor and understand how safe it is for one to be taken.
When To Use Evening Primrose Oil During Pregnancy?
You can ask your doctor about using the possibilities of using this essential oil if you are overdue because evening primrose oil extracts can be used as a natural way to induce labour. However, before that, one should rule out the possibilities of allergies and drug interactions. You should also beware of the dosage. Therefore, on any occasion, intake of evening primrose oil has to be done under the supervision of your doctor.
Pregnancy is crucial, so it is best to be alert and not start taking medicines or supplement on your own. Stay safe and ask your doctor for instructions when you make your mind up to take something out of your regular diet. Pregnancy is a phase of indulgence and enjoyment. Do not go overboard to spoil it.