Pregnancy changes everything in a woman’s life, and eating habits require particular consideration. We all are aware that not all the food items otherwise considered healthy are safe during pregnancy. We already discussed the consequences of eating papaya during breastfeeding earlier in one of our articles. Now, here are the answers to some of your doubts regarding eating fruits. Also, about those fruits, you should avoid eating during pregnancy for the sake of the health of the mother and unborn child.
Top 3 Fruits To Be Totally Avoided During Pregnancy
Mainly three fruits should be avoided during pregnancy are:
Grape is a well-known natural product. It serves numerous advantages for both the mother and the developing child. There still exists some argument regarding eating grapes during pregnancy. While some medicinal experts propose that you abstain from eating grapes amid pregnancy, other exhortation that you do utilize it.
Experts advocating for the usage of grapes argues that
- The fruit is a rich source of organic acids, anti-oxidants, minerals, and vitamins. By adding grapes regularly in the diet can positively influence the health of the mother
- Grapes are found to help in metabolism, improve immunity, treat anemia
Overconsumption of grapes during pregnancy can invite issues. The above advantages work when they are taken in sensible sums. Be that as it may, overutilization of grapes is hazardous, particularly in pregnancy stage.
Experts advocating against the usage of the grapes during pregnancy argues that
- The pesticides that are showered on the grape plants to keep the insects away make the fruit inedible especially during pregnancy
- Grapes contain a lot of Resveratrol, a natural compound found in its skin, which is poisonous and can cause a harmful reaction on the pregnant ladies whose hormones are imbalanced. Resveratrol poisoning further causes several complications in the course of pregnancy.
- It can develop constipation among pregnant women as the skin of the grapes are pretty tough to be digested properly
Whatever it may be the arguments, never eat grapes if you fall under any of the following groups during pregnancy:
- Allergic to grapes
- Already suffering from digestive problems
- Have diabetes mellitus
Another important thing is always to buy grapes only in their season, or else, you are definitely eating grapes that are grown using pesticides which, no doubt, will harm you and unborn child
Eating raw papaya or semi-ripe papaya during pregnancy? Definitely No.
Eating ripe papaya during pregnancy? When eaten moderately, ripe papaya will never harm the unborn child. Unripe and partially ripe papaya are abundant in latex, which triggers uterine contraction resulting in miscarriage during early stages and preterm birth in later stages of pregnancy. Even doctors prescribe papaya for inducing labor pain. Women in remote areas use unripe papaya for aborting unwanted pregnancies. The enzymes present in papaya are not only abortifacient (causing abortion) but also teratogenic (affect the physiological growth of fetus). However, there is no harm in eating ripe papayas as ripe papayas contain only a very low level of papain. It is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and has plenty of other health benefits.
Raw and semi-ripe papaya can cause
- The weakening of the vital membrane of the unborn baby. The papain in unripe or semi-ripe papaya is a proteolytic (breaks down protein) enzyme causing cell dissociation. This will result in the weakening of the cell growth and development of tissues of the fetus making its entity uncertain
- It affects the blood sugar level, and it is unsafe to eat papaya if you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes
- It is true that papaya alleviates constipation; it moreover cures inflammatory bowel problems. Be that as it may, these helpful attributes of papaya can hurt pregnant ladies. This surplus bowel movement can create pressure within the uterus and reason miscarriage
- Unripe papaya can be put in more than enough pressure on blood vessels, and even prompt internal bleeding and bleeding in the placenta. This will slow down the circulation of the blood influencing the development of the fetus badly
Though pineapple is a good source of vitamins, proteins, and minerals, eating pineapple, especially during the early stages of pregnancy, should be avoided keeping away from unexpected events such as the enfeebling cervix. This is because:
- Bromelain, an enzyme present in the pineapple cause the weakening of the cervix resulting in preterm labor or miscarriage
- Pineapple has high sugar concentration which is harmful to women with gestational diabetes
- It can also trigger uterine contractions which are not good for the growing uterus
- Pineapple is considered as ‘hot food‘ And hot foods are known to cause premature labor or miscarriage
What Other Food Items Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?
Though pregnancy does bring changes to one’s eating habits, it does not mean that you should totally resist your pregnancy cravings. However, striking certain food items off your list can avert certain health risks for you and the unborn baby. You can also seek your doctor’s advice on whether or not to avoid certain food items. Most commonly, the below food items should be either totally avoided or consumed in very moderate quantities during pregnancy:
- Fish and seafood high in mercury: All fish and seafood contain some traces of mercury. However, certain varieties can cause fetal brain damage and development. King mackerel, swordfish, shark and tilefish are some examples of fish that are in this list
- Raw or undercooked eggs and poultry: Food items that contain raw or uncooked eggs like chocolate mousse, mayonnaise, etc. or half-boiled, raw eggs should be avoided during pregnancy. Raw or undercooked eggs or meat can contain salmonella bacteria that can cause vomiting and diarrhea
- Street food: Craving for that tangy plate of chaat or gol-guppies? Well you can certainly enjoy these food items during pregnancy but make sure you eat at a well-reputed place that is hygienic and poses no threat to your health
- Artificial sweeteners: Artificial sweeteners have become a household sugar substitute, as most of us believe they will not cause any harmful effects of sugar – which is largely untrue. Artificial sweeteners, especially saccharin is particularly unsafe for pregnant women, and the solution is to have a moderate intake of normal sugar only
- Sugary and fatty foods: Sugary and fatty foods like ice-creams, sweetmeats, mithai, and other sugary, fatty, and yummy treats that seem inviting to the eyes are best avoided during pregnancy. One, for all the extra weight you will put on during pregnancy, it will be tough to get rid of it later, and two, all this fatty food can cause your cholesterol levels to rise beyond permissible limits
- Herbal teas: Whether it is green tea, lemon tea, chamomile or raspberry tea, having herbal teas is a much-debated topic in pregnancy. Though we’d suggest that you do check with your doctor before having any herbal tea, and particularly avoid senna, wormwood, Saw palmetto as their safety during pregnancy is questionable
- Unpasteurized foods: Whether it is unpasteurized soft cheeses, unpasteurized fruit juices, unpasteurized dairy products, you should steer clear of all these items as they contain the listeria bacteria which can cause severe food poisoning – something that should be totally avoided during pregnancy
- Unwashed fruits and vegetables: If you are in the habit of eating raw vegetables and cooking unwanted fruits and vegetables, then you need to change this now. You cannot afford to ingest harmful pesticides and other chemicals that stay on the skin and can cause serious damage to the developing fetus
Can I Drink Fruit Juices During Pregnancy?
- No doubt Juicing is an acceptable dependency for any healthy food plan. It is a healthful, scrumptious manner to enhance your nutrient consumption in the course of pregnancy. In spite of the fact that eating fruit is good during pregnancy, drinking fresh juice can put you liable to the very dangerous E.coli and salmonella bacteria. It’s far stated that each raw fruits as well as greens can get blighted with this kind of bacteria and can cause harm to you and your fetus
- The remedy is to pick out packaged juices as they’re pasteurized and are kept beneath refrigeration. Also, use thoroughly washed fruits for making juice at home. Never used tinned fruits either to make juice or to eat raw. It’s not safe to have juices that are not pasteurized as it may contain ill borne diseases that can easily attack the immune system of the expecting mother and may harm the unborn baby. Either drink pasteurized fruits or homemade fresh fruit juices
Always eat fresh fruits and immediately eat them after cutting it. Strictly avoid those fruits which have a foul smell as they are rotten. Even half-rotten fruits should be avoided during pregnancy. Always remember, during pregnancy, the immune system of the mother is weak, and careful attention must be paid to the diet of the mother. Make sure she gets fresh and healthy food. Take care of what should be avoided and what should be consumed for the healthy development of the baby and the mother. Always consult your doctor for proper care and precautions.