During the course of pregnancy, a mother keeps dreaming of the time when she will hold the little and adorable angel in her hands. Amidst that, it is very important to keep the hospital bag ready which should have items for the mother, baby and even the dad. It is ideal to prepare a checklist for the labour and delivery time for the mother and even at the baby’s arrival so that nothing is forgotten back home and is available at the time of need.
Diapers are essential for the baby so the diaper bag comes very handy as diapers are used extensively in the initial days. It is crucial to know the contents that should be a part of the hospital bag and the bag needs to be ready by 34 weeks and one should be ready for the onset of the baby.
Hospital Bag Checklist for new-born baby:
All the parents would want to keep everything required and not miss a single thing which is a requisite for the new-born baby as all hospitals have distinct policy with the items they can provide so it’s best to have it handy. The inborn instincts and extra knowledge from books and internet help in finding out the important items which should be packed for the new born. Yet, a list has been compiled for the expected parents of all the essential items required for the new born baby and they are:
- A car seat that has been permitted
- A outfit for the baby which can be used when the baby comes home
- Cosy and warm blankets
- Clothes as per the season, if winters- caps, gloves and in case of summers – light breathable clothes since the new born is extremely delicate.
When should I pack my hospital bag and what should I have?
The mom should be all set and prepared by 36 weeks with the hospital bag ready in order to rush to the hospital as and when required. Many babies are born pre-mature and many mothers who have a normal delivery have to be taken to the hospital as soon as the labour pain erupts, this most commonly happens any time after the 34th week. Hence it is advisable to be ready at 36 weeks period.
What to pack in hospital bag for labour?
- Photo id, notes, insurance forms etc.
- The Dressing gown for taking walks in the hospital corridors.
- An old and comfortable nightdress or a loose t-shirt to be used for labour room.
- Massage lotions or oil to be applies when in labour
- Lip Balm
- Maternity Bras
- Books, Hairbands and accessories which come useful for the mother.
- Pillows for the additional support in the process of feeding the baby.
- Books or magazines in order to pass time and relax.
- A pair of socks to keep the feet warm at the time of the labour.
What to pack in dad’s hospital bag
Dad’s also have a major role to play at the time of labour, delivery and even post-delivery. The labour process can sometimes be an enduring one and even boring at times. The support of the to-be dad becomes very important to make the mother- to be comfortable and at ease so she has a smooth delivery. It is important for the dad-to be to have a list of the undermentioned items to become an ideal birthing partner. Dads are passively involve in the whole process and even though they do not participate but their presence makes a lot of difference.
The list of the dad’s hospital bag should have:
- Loads of loose change of money
- Swimsuit in case it has been decided to have a water birth.
- Important tips to be used at the time of labour
- Comfortable shoes to do the required running about
- A pillow for oneself
- A compiled list with the required phone numbers to be accessed in need.
- Change of clothes as many a times taking a shower also becomes difficult.
- Camera, camcorders or phones with prior permission to record the precious moments.
What do you pack in a diaper bag?
Diapers are indispensable for the new baby so having a diaper bag prior to the onset of the baby helps by leaps and bounds. Having a properly stocked bag can help in running and avoiding panic. The diaper bag should have a waterproof lining to prevent spilling and have many sections to store the items. The important items that need attention are:
- Lots of diapers keeping one for each hour and few of extra ones.
- Cleaning wipes and Sanitizer
- Plastic bags to store soiled diapers.
- Extra Clothes for the baby
- Diaper rash ointment
- Tissues and Bibs
- Mittens, Nappies
- Few medicines kept in a sealed bag to avoid leakage.
- Socks or booties
- Oils and Powders
Printable hospital bag checklist for labour and delivery
There are the list of things that provide comfort when in pain and alleviates the mood at the time of labour and delivery. Few of them are listed as under:
- Birthing plan and other documents
- Massage Lotions
- Heating pads
- Ear plugs
- Books/ Laptop
Finally the day arrives and it is very important to be well prepared for the arrival of the baby, a time for extreme joy and loads of excitement so compiling a list of items required for delivery will greatly help whether it be for the mom and dad-to be or for the new baby. This list also has stuff relevant to the doctors and other miscellaneous uses.