Teething is one of the major milestones of baby’s development. It is the process where the tooth sprouts from the gum. The first teeth of babies are commonly known as milk teeth. Majority of babies start teething between the ages of 4 to 7 months. But exceptional might be as early as 3 months or late by 12 months of age. They have been many cases where the babies are born with teeth. Under such condition, you have to consult with your pediatrician as these are weakly firmed into the gums and can be a choking hazard.
The first appearance (normally lower gums breakthrough first) usually appears between 6th to 8th month and this process is completed by the age of 2 to 3 years. Proper care has to be taken as babies’ experiences some uneasiness. Often milk teeth are not taken proper care, but it is equally important as permanent teeth. They help the child to chew food, speak and pronounce various words. If you find delay in teeth’s appearance or abnormalities, consult your doctor. Not all the babies experience teething problem.
– When babies are teething, they get fussy and cranky. This maybe because of the swelling and soreness in the gum before the tooth is coming out.
– They may start biting their fingers or toys in order to relieve the pain or teething problem.
– Red swollen gums.
– They may refuse food. Often babies stop taking bottle or breastfeed as sucking makes the blood rush to their swollen gums, making it all the more sensitive to pain.
– They may get sleepless.
– They may drool heavily, which can cause rash on their chin.
Ways to help your baby from teething pain-
– Use clean finger to rub the baby’s gum gently. It helps in soothing the pain. It can help in giving temporary relief from pain.
– Teething ring can act as soother for the baby. It can chew, rub or suck it. You can keep the teething ring in fridge for some time so that it can give cooling effect on the gums and can make it numb for time being.
– After consulting the doctor, you can massage on their gums with soothing ointments for gums.
– If your baby is above 6months, then you can also give cold fresh vegetables or fruits to chew on. Always keep an eye on the baby, so that they do not take a big bite and choke themselves.
– Pamper your baby, as it is the time when your baby is in bad mood and wants complete attention.
– You can also give the baby little cold water or cold fruit pulp in order to numb the gums so that they do not feel much pain when the blood rushes to their swollen gums.
THINGS TO REMEMBER-
– If you are breastfeeding, avoid applying gels before the feed. As it can numb the baby’s tongue making it difficult to suck and can make him more irritated.
– Teething is a natural process, so do not get worried if your baby’s mood fluctuates, as it is a part of the teething process. Always consult the doctor before applying any gel or giving the baby pain relief medicines.
– When baby drools heavily, make sure you gently wipe it off in order to prevent rash on chin. It can irritate the baby more if the rash gets severe. Apply baby skin cream to cure the rash.
– Always take good care of your child’s teeth. Keep them clean and get it checked by the doctor if any decay takes place.
It is a happy moment for the parents to see their baby grow and sprouting tooth is one step towards the growth, so capture the moment and cherish it.