Pregnancy is an interesting journey of ups and downs and highs and lows. While the excitement of having a baby keeps you elated, the aches, pains and discomfort are also a part of the package. The body has to support the additional weight from the baby and the placenta exerting additional strain on the spinal cord and the back.
The nervous system is an important part of our body. It is the spinal cord which allows us to move, bend or turn your body in any manner in your everyday routine. It also protects the nervous system which controls all the organs in the body. That is why it is important to have a proper functioning spine. A misalignment of the spine often causes pain and discomfort
Chiropractic treatment is the diagnosis and treatment of disorders relating mainly to the spine. This is mainly the correction of any misalignment of the spine without the use of surgery or drugs. It rectifies the issue by application of pressure or force to that part of the spine which is not aligned correctly.
Chiropractic care during pregnancy:
Chiropractic care during pregnancy is safe and can be done by experts to maintain good health during pregnancy. Chiropractic care is done for prenatal and postnatal periods. Chiropractors are trained to work with pregnant women and they know what kind of activities to avoid. They are specifically trained for this. They use specially designed tables, which accommodate the bulging stomach of the woman. Also they will avoid putting any pressure on the abdomen. They will also teach exercises and stretches which can be safely done by pregnant women.
It is important to take chiropractic care during pregnancy because
- The growth of the baby puts additional pressure on the spine. The growing abdomen strains the spine.
- There are pelvic changes which occur in pregnant women. This result in the misalignment of the spine. If there is a misalignment in the pelvic area, there might not be enough room for the baby to grow comfortably.
- Also there could be posture issues. It is very important that the pregnant woman is able to keep her balance while standing or walking. So chiropractic care is important.
- If the pelvic area is misaligned it could also cause issues during delivery. The baby could be breech and the doctors may have to necessarily do a C-section.
The nervous system is the main communicator to all other systems of the body. It keeps the body working efficiently especially during pregnancy. The benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy are:
- The body is healthy and there is a general sense of wellbeing.
- It helps control symptoms of nausea.
- Relieves back pain. In some cases pregnant women develop pain in the joints due to increased weight. It relieves joint pain also.
- Prevents C-section delivery. If a misalignment of the pelvic region is treated, there is a better chance of a normal delivery. When the pelvis is balanced, the baby moves into a comfortable position and might not be breech.
- If the baby is in a comfortable position, due to chiropractic care, the difficulty of labour reduces. There is lesser pressure or stress on the uterus.
Chiropractic care is very beneficial during pregnancy as it relaxes you and also relieves pain in the back and joints. But it is advisable to take the following precautions when starting off.
- Choose a chiropractor who has experience and also specialises in treatment of pregnant women. They will know how much pressure to put and where all.
- It is good to let the chiropractor know what all positions are comfortable so that he can work on your body accordingly.
- There should be a table specifically for accommodating the baby bump, so that there is no pressure on the stomach.
- Talk to your regular doctor and understand what precaution needs to be taken before starting with chiropractic care.
Chiropractic care is a great option for pregnant women. It can be started early in the pregnancy and regular care even reduces morning sickness and headaches. A physically healthy pregnant woman will be mentally at ease and relaxed. It also brings about a sense of emotional well being.