Written by Pradeep
Focusing on a nutrient rich well-balanced diet is important for a healthy life. But when you are pregnant ensuring that you have a well-balanced diet is compulsory for the healthy future of both you and your child. Intake of some food items ensures that you get several key nutrients that are absolutely necessary during pregnancy. One of such food item is – egg.
Eggs are counted as a super food because of its nutritional benefits. During pregnancy intake of eggs can assure vitamin A, vitamin D, zinc, important trace elements such as potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, iron, sodium and proteins which are must during pregnancy. In this article know more on if you can eat eggs during pregnancy ,benefits of having eggs and many more things.
In This Article
Here are some of the benefits of eating eggs during pregnancy:
Safety of the intake of the eggs depends upon several factors as the eggs are more often found to be infected by salmonella bacteria and during pregnancy the degree of immunity of your body won’t be as high as when you are normal. For some women during pregnancy, the digestive system becomes weak and is hence more prone to allergic conditions.
When the eggs are properly cooked, for example, when the eggs are boiled till the yolk and white are solid, the bacteria will get destroyed. Otherwise, salmonella poisoning is likely to occur.
Salmonella poisoning doesn’t harm your baby directly, but it can increase your discomfort level as the poisoning leads to:
If you have high cholesterol level, consult your doctor before including eggs in your diet. Also, you may look out for eggs that are produced by hens who have been vaccinated against salmonella.
Some food items, even though, are loaded with nutrients and highly beneficial health wise can cause complication especially during pregnancy if not carefully chosen and cooked.
While picking up eggs from a store during pregnancy you should:
1. Check the sell-by date or best-before date on the carton before buying eggs.
2. Never buy eggs with a cracked shell as the bacteria or dirt can enter the egg.
3. Certified organic eggs should be preferred during pregnancy as the hen is not pumped with hormones or antibiotics.
4. Never use an egg which is refrigerated and then kept at room temperature for more than two hours. This is because a cool egg when keep in the warm atmosphere will perspire. Bacteria can easily grow on the outer shell which can pass into the egg through the porous shell and spoil the egg.
5. Watch if it passes the freshness test:
Remember these points when you consume egg during pregnancy:
When storing eggs you should:
When you follow all the above safety measures then it is advisable to take three to four eggs per week during your pregnancy period.
Read Also: Is It Safe To Eat Tofu During Pregnancy?