Pregnancy is a precarious phase, and not many medicines can be given. The majority of women contract many respiratory issues and difficulty breathing during pregnancy. Especially those with a history of asthma. Another very common problem faced by many expecting women is inflammation in the stomach, joints, etc. Medicine containing steroids can only effectively cure these health issues. Prednisone is one very common medicine that helps in treating inflammations. But how safe is prednisone during pregnancy? Find out everything about the usage of Prednisone, its benefits as well as the side-effects during pregnancy.
What Is Prednisone?
Prednisone is a steroid that administered through a nebulizer or even orally. This drug has the property of lowering down the molecules that cause the inflammation. This medicine helps to cure allergy that affects different other parts of the body, which could comprise of heart ailments, asthma, hormonal issues, colitis, arthritis, etc. One tablet 1-4 times daily accompanied by food is the daily dose.
Is It Safe To Take Prednisone While Pregnant?
Prednisone is a good cure for certain ailments. Intake of more than 20mg prednisone daily is considered as a high dose. A high dose is usually prescribed only if the disease is an aggressive one. It is not safe to give a high dosage of steroids during pregnancy as it adversely affects the development of the fetus and the healthy progression of pregnancy. Ingestion of Prednisone during pregnancy can result in low birth weight, premature deliveries, and some birth deformities.
What Category Is Prednisone In Pregnancy?
Prednisone as per the Food Development Authority comes in the category D of pregnancy. Therefore, this drug is prescribed during pregnancy only if the advantage prevails over the potential risk to the fetus
Why Is Prednisone Used In Pregnancy?
Prednisone is the steroids that are given frequently to curb down the inflammation during pregnancy. Prednisone also helps to suppress the pains and aches. This treatment is given for a short duration and only under extreme conditions.
Health Benefits Of Prednisone In Pregnancy
Administering of Prednisone also has many advantages to health at the time of pregnancy. Find out some of the advantages of prednisone during pregnancy:
- Treating Skin Conditions- Prednisone can do wonders when treating skin issues like rashes, eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, etc. It helps to balance the electrolytes present in the blood.
- Helps To Treat Autoimmune Diseases-Prednisone can regulate the immune system output and can even help in the prevention of the immune cells to kill or attack the other healthy cells present in the body.
- Aids In Treating The Bone Problems- There are several ailments like osteoarthritis, gouts and chronic arthritis that can be easily cured by the administering of Prednisone.
- It Helps To Treat The Endocrine Ailments- Any hormone-related issues like adrenal hyperplasia, thyroiditis, and hypercalcemia can all be treated by administering Prednisone.
- It Helps To Treat The Respiratory Disorders- Administering of Prednisone helps to relieve the indicators of respiratory issues like asthma, pneumonia, tuberculosis, etc.
Side Effects Of Taking Prednisone In Pregnancy
Even though there are many health benefits of taking Prednisone during pregnancy, yet there are many side effects that one cannot ignore especially during pregnancy, and they are as below:
1. Digestive Disorder- Bloating, gas, stomach aches, nausea, presence of blood in the stool or any issues in the pancreas can arise due to intake of Prednisone.
2. Birth Flaws or Deformities- Many research shows that the presence of Prednisone in the body brings about low birth weight, birth deformities, and the fetus developing a cleft lip drastically.
3. Preterm Labour- Oral intake of prednisone increases the chances of preterm labor and delivering a baby even before the 37th week is over.
4. Sleeplessness – Regular consumption of Prednisone can result in insomnia. It is found that almost 1/3 of the patients administered this steroid has contracted disturbed sleep.
5. Increase In Weight- Almost 80% of patients with Prednisone have experienced an immense weight gain due to the usage of Prednisone for an extensive period.
The administering of Prednisone is not very good for health and pregnancy, so it is better to keep certain precautionary measures much before the medicine is taken.
- It is always viable to seek medical consultation before taking Prednisone especially while one is pregnant, and even understands the dosage and frequency.
- Prednisone if stopped unexpectedly, can result in low blood pressure, breathing issues, low blood sugar levels, dizziness, etc.
- Prednisone, if taken orally, can be more harmful to the fetus as it can enter the blood in higher quantities, so it is better to take it as an inhaler.
Can You Take Prednisone In Early Pregnancy?
The women who take Prednisone at the time of pregnancy more likely in the first trimester can have a risk of having a cleft palate or lip to some extent (around 3 to 4 folds). It is also seen that the women used to take this medicine over the first trimester of pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage 64 %. The possibilities of preterm birth are also found to double.
Does Prednisone Cross The Placenta?
If Prednisone is taken for an extended period and in high dosage, they are known to cross the placenta leading to a major suppression in the fetal glands.
Does Prednisone Help Prevent Miscarriage?
A recent study and survey have shown that Prednisone is known to result in a reduction in a cell that can lead to miscarriages. Therefore, this drug may help women who face frequent miscarriage.
Can Steroids Affect Unborn Baby?
Generally, steroids, when taken during pregnancy, are not too harmful to the babies. While they do cross the placenta, yet they get converted to not too active chemicals.
Does Prednisone Cause Miscarriage?
No, Prednisone does not cause miscarriages but is known to help in reducing a cell variety that is linked in resulting in miscarriages.
How Long Can You Take Prednisone During Pregnancy?
Prednisone is known to work instantly. Usually, you will get a result within one to four days. The usage of Prednisone at very high dosage (about 30 mg/daily for at least four weeks) can result in a few hormonal disturbances. This may last even after several months after discontinuing the medicine. Prednisone is advised to be taken once or four times daily or every alternate day accompanied with food.
The researches and surveys show that if the pregnant woman takes Prednisone in the early phase of pregnancy the fetus does not get much affected as the placenta prevents the drug from entering the amniotic fluid. Excess Prednisone is harmful to the mother and the baby. However, this medicine helps to combat many skin and inflammation diseases.