The pregnancy confirmation test for everyone starts with the urine tests. Every doctor confirms pregnancy with the urine test. While they perform routine urine tests, they may also detect the presence of the leukocytes in the urine.
- What Are Leukocytes In Urine?
- What Causes Leukocytes In Urine During Pregnancy?
- Signs And Symptoms Of White Blood Cells In Urine While Pregnant
- Diagnosing Leukocytes In Urine During Pregnancy
- What Is Done Once Leukocytes Is Diagnosed In Urine?
- Effects And Complications Of Leukocytes In Urine During Pregnancy
- How To Treat Leukocytes In Urine During Pregnancy?
What Are Leukocytes In Urine?
Leukocytes are the white blood cells (WBC), and they play a vital role in our immune system. They are significant in fighting off infections and ailments. The presence of leukocytes in urine indicates some sort of infection in the urinary tract. There will be an increase in the Leukocytes in the urine when there is an intense infection or obstruction someplace in the urinary tract.
What Causes Leukocytes In Urine During Pregnancy?
The number of WBC in the urine can be increased due to several reasons, such as:
- Vaginal Infection: While you are pregnant, ensure that you are keeping your vagina very clean. There shouldn’t be any scope for bacterial development. Yet times the vaginal secretions mix with the urine may pave the way for vaginal infection, and this, in turn, might lead to the presence of the leukocytes.
- Presence of Asymptomatic bacteriuria: Leucocytes can appear in urine if one contract asymptomatic bacteriuria. It is a condition in which large numbers of bacteria getting multiplied in the urinary tract and present in the urine, yet, there will not be any symptoms. However, the presence of leukocytes can be detected with regular urine tests. You will be given antibiotics to treat this.
- Cystitis: Cystitis refers to an inflammation of the bladder wall. It is estimated that just about half of all women will get it at least once in their life. Pregnancy is one such condition that triggers this issue.
- Kidney Infections: While your urine infections are not treated well, then they might result in impacting the kidney functionality as well. The presence of kidney infections might result in the presence of leukocytes in urine. Vomiting, fever, and pain in the lower back are the symptoms of kidney issues.
- Urinary Tract Infection: This is the common problem which most of the women have. The pregnant women are more susceptible to UTI as the bladder tone gets suppressed due to the pressure of the growing womb. This is the common reason for the presence of Leukocytes in urine during pregnancy.
- Genital Infection: Genital infections such as genital herpes, bacterial vaginitis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, vaginal yeast infection, etc. can bring about the increased number of Leukocytes in the urine of the pregnant woman.
Signs And Symptoms Of White Blood Cells In Urine While Pregnant
The following are the symptoms with the presence of Leukocytes in the urine. However, these symptoms vary for everyone. It entirely depends on the condition of the person.
- You always feel to urinate, and this frequent urge must indicate that there is some issue to be dealt with.
- Burning sensation while urinating is the other common problem which you must consider and get the right treatment on time.
- Have an eye on the color of the urine. You are facing the problem if the urine color is tinted or pink in nature.
- Never neglect pelvic pain as it always indicates some sort of problem and gets your doubts clear consulting the doctor.
- Strong smelling urine is the other factor that might be causing trouble to you always.
Diagnosing Leukocytes In Urine During Pregnancy
While you are healthy, the normal presence of leukocytes in the bloodstream is 4,500-11,000 WBCs per microliter, and it is 0-5 WBCs per HPF (high power field). If the level of Leukocytes elevated above this level, it indicates the presence of infection.
While you go to the doctor for any problems, then you will be asked for a urine sample, and they will check;
- Red blood cells
- The presence of other substances based on your medical history.
It is with the urine test, you will be detected with any sort of kidney problems as well. Urine culture is the other test that you need to be tested to diagnose which kind of bacterial infection the expecting mother has.
What Is Done Once Leukocytes Is Diagnosed In Urine?
X -rays and CT scans are performed in the urinary tract to find out the reasons of the Leukocytes in the urine
Likewise, once diagnosed with Leukocytes in urine during pregnancy, repeated tests are conducted for detailed analysis along with the treatment initiated. This depends on the trimester and cause. During the first trimester, the urine test is done every three or to the max four weeks. During the second trimester, it will be conducted once in a couple of weeks. However, if Leukocytes are diagnosed during the third trimester, the urine test is conducted on every week.
Effects And Complications Of Leukocytes In Urine During Pregnancy
To avoid complications with pregnancy, doctors suggest antibiotics to protect the baby and the mother as they found the right cause and high levels of leukocytes.
- The presence of more Leukocytes causes Eclampsia, which triggers high blood pressure. This is a serious complication which might need proper monitoring.
- Cystitis is the other effect that results in painful urination. When proper medication is not given, it may also lead to gangrenous cystitis.
- Both bladder and peritonitis will be at risk, and the person couldn’t even urinate in these cases.
If not solved at the earliest, leucocytes in urine may pave the way for stone formation and related complications.
How To Treat Leukocytes In Urine During Pregnancy?
- Mild infections in the urinary tract can be treated by means of diuretics and natural disinfectants.
- If the presence of the Leukocytes is quite alarming, it is treated by the doctors with the right antibiotics.
- UTI can be recurring. In such instances, depending on the frequency of these UTIs, the experts will suggest the course of antibiotics.
- In case of obstruction like kidney stones, if the natural remedies and medicines fail, the doctor may opt for surgical treatment.
Irrespective of the treatment options, if you want to get healed completely in a short while, the best thing to have more water. Having more fluids helps you to flush the UTI. Urinating frequently might be painful, but it helps you to heal completely.
- The best way to prevent UTI is to have more fluids.
- You can even have cranberry juice and get rid of the kidney stones or any other problem that is related to the UTI.
- Do not reduce your fluid intake. While you are pregnant, ensure that you are taking more fluids always.
- Does an increase in the white blood cells indicate blood Leukemia?
It is true as the diagnosis for Leukemia is made based on the increased count of leukocytes.
- Does an increase in WBC in urine considered as STD infection?
Yes, an increase in the WBC in urine is taken as an indication of STD because Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia are the types of STDs that are diagnosed by detecting increased WBC in the urine.
- Do Leukocytes cause Fetal death when not treated well?
The increase in Leukocytes in the blood causes many inflammatory problems. Pregnant women who are facing this issue will get bothered with fatigue, abortion, an increase in pressure. When you find any sort of inflammation while passing urine, get it treated immediately as it might put your baby at risk.
Ensure that you consult the doctor when you face any UTI problems and that too while you are expecting to be a mom. Never neglect this as it might cause serious health issues both for the mother and to the baby. Check out with the right doctor so that you are not going to use unnecessary antibiotics while you are pregnant.