Picture books have the secret power to teach children life lessons through storytelling while setting the foundation for literacy habits. The impact of these books can be profound so it is incredibly important for parents to introduce picture books from an early age.
The Different Types of Picture Books
Not all picture books are created equal. As is the case with any other type of book, there are different genres which appeal to different kinds of people. The situation is no different with these:
- Picture Book Biographies: Picture book biographies are exactly what they sound like; they take the lives of historical and inspirational people and turn them into a story for children to understand. They are great at presenting role models to young children.
- Picture-Only Books: These books have no words written in them and instead tell a story entirely through picture form. They are great for artistically inclined children who love to draw.
- Classic Picture Books: Even picture books have classics; these are the ones which last more than a single generation. Parents often read these books to their children because they remember the stories from their own childhood.
Impact of Picture Books on Children
Picture books serve a number of purposes when it comes to learning and child development. They are the first exposure children have to reading and literacy, creating the foundation for how a child will relate to them throughout life. Strong literary habits can be created through picture books. They also serve as a teaching tool for new ideas and places while facilitating empathy and life lessons through the messages they contain.
Picking the Right Picture Book for Your Child
Begin by taking your child with you to choose picture books to see what they gravitate towards. After you’ve read a couple of picture books with your child, you’ll be able to pick out the titles that they’ll love. Some children gravitate to specific subject matter while others like a certain style of illustrations or tone, regardless of what it is they like, figuring it out is the key to a literary foundation. Stick with this while still introducing new options and update choices to suit age ranges so they continue to be challenged.
Where to Find Picture Books
Now that we’ve examined picture books closer we can find the best places to get them. The good news is there are a number of different ways to access a wide variety of quality picture books.
- Local Library: When in doubt, it’s always a good idea to start at the library. Every city has one and they’re worth the little effort it takes to get a library card. The library offers a selection of different picture books suited for a range of ages making it perfect for families with more than one child. It allows them to explore their interests and discover new ones at no cost at all. Borrowing a book is such a low commitment that it’s ideal for parents who aren’t sure if their children are going to like a certain book. They can borrow and read it at no cost at all. If the book is a hit, you can then go out and buy it. So turn library visits into an event for the whole family and start reading!
- A Nearby Bookstore: Convenience is always an important factor, especially when you have children to take into consideration. Do a quick search to find the closest bookstore on your route so you won’t have an excuse to not pick up a picture book.
- Online Bookstore: For even more convenience, make an online book purchase. You can browse through hundreds of titles or use filter options to find the perfect picture book quickly. You can search for discount children’s books and compare prices with ease by using this method.
- Flea market: If you want a guaranteed deal, go to the flea market. It can be a fun outing for the whole family while finding unique and quirky discounted picture books you won’t see anywhere else.
In The End
Reading picture books regularly creates good habits. They teach empathy, introduce children to new places, and it can easily be turned into quality family time. The options for discount children’s books even makes it an inexpensive hobby!