When a woman is pregnant her family members shower all their love and care upon her. Quite often in India, care and love come in the form of food, resulting in some extra weight gain during pregnancy. Now post pregnancy, most women strive to get back in shape and desperately want to get rid of that baby belly but just keep in mind that it takes time for your body, especially your belly to fully recover from pregnancy. Dropping those extra few kilos will take some considerable time, a dedicated effort and a ‘never say die’ attitude. Think of it as this way, it took nine months to gain that fat, it is but only justifiable to take as much time to lose.. Just give it some 7-8 weeks, so that you can actually analyze correctly how much baby fat is there to reduce.
Why Do I Still Look Pregnant After Delivery?
After delivery, if you thought that your abdomen will look flat and fit now that the baby is out, you are in for some shock. Most women look like they are 6-7 months pregnant even after delivering the baby. The midsection will still be round, full and squishy; somewhat like a balloon. It takes considerable time for the body to lose that pregnancy belly, and for some women the pregnancy pouch never really goes away. Because most of the stretching happens at the abdomen, losing the same requires more effort and dedication. However, post childbirth, hormones come into play and start contracting the uterus, and by the time your baby is 2 months old, the uterus will be more or less it’s original size. That is the time when you will know how much weight you have actually put on.
Top 10 Natural Ways To Reduce Baby Belly After Pregnancy
After birth when you start regaining your routine or start adjusting to your new schedule at that point you can get started working your way back to pre-pregnancy body with just some simple ways which we have chosen for you –
- Breastfeed: If you thought breastfeeding only benefits the baby, you are wrong – nursing your baby has immense benefits for you too. Breastfeeding is a great way of reducing your baby belly as it triggers the contraction in uterus and thus helps the uterus to attain its normal size by shrinking it. Nursing also burns the extra calories of women without even putting an ounce of effort on her part. You are burning your calories even when you are resting – isn’t it great? But be aware as soon as you are going to decrease breast feeding or start weaning, you will have to put some extra efforts for burning those calories now
- Belly wrapping: It is the most old fashioned and effective way of toning your abdominal muscles as it is believed that the compression which maternity belts and tucks put on your abs may help the uterus to regain its normal size much sooner. For new moms they can also work wonders as they help them in their back pain or posture problem which is usually developed in women after delivery. You can try it out by wrapping simple cotton cloth or ‘dupatta’ around your belly or else there are lots of belts which are available in market
- Avoid empty calories: Start saying no to empty calories like cookies, candies, soda, chips and chocolates. You must be careful with carbohydrates consumption as they get converted into the sugar and settle in fat friendly areas. Try filling your diet with healthy food items like whole grain and low fat dairy products
- Go green tea: Green tea is a good option for reducing your belly as it is known to aid fat burning process. Most importantly it contains antioxidants that protect cells from free radicals and also boost body metabolism which facilitate the weight loss. Taking it after exercise can tremendously improve your belly weight loss results
- Take massages: Massage can be very useful in reducing your belly fat, A massage can target the particular cellulite laden area which needs more attention. Massaging in those areas can distribute and release the fat into the body for absorption. Massage is also responsible for improving the metabolism and active body metabolism means burning up nutrients at a much faster pace which ultimately will lead to reduced fat. Massage can be most beneficial if it is planned after exercise or any other physical activity
- Warm Water: A warm glass of water in the morning can help you to flush out toxins, it also increase the temperature of our body which therefore increase the metabolic rate and increased metabolic rate burns more calories. Try to drink warm water whenever you are thirsty, you can also add lemon into it, drinking a glass of warm water and a lemon will help in breakdown of adipose tissue
- Include cabbage in your diet: Adding the green vegetable cabbage in your diet can help you in decreasing your post pregnancy belly fat in many ways, it is the best source of dietary fiber which improves nutrient absorption and at the same time maintains the healthy bowel movements. Also it comes under the low calorie vegetable which is rich in many essential vitamins such as riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and thiamin
- Spice things up: Spices not only improve your taste but also can work wonders in reducing your belly weight, Inclusion of spices like cinnamon, turmeric, pepper, long pepper helps in improving digestion and preventing accumulation of fat inside our body
- Avoid stress: Avoid taking stress as stress causes the release of stress hormones cortisol into your bloodstream which causes, tiredness, irritability and weight gain or retention. High levels of cortisol can also increase your craving for sweet and fatty food. Try to sleep when your baby is sleeping as extra sleep will help your body to wash out stress hormone and can make you feel better emotionally
- Exercise: Hitting the gym may be some time away but light exercises like a walk can be started right away. Last but not the least start doing some abdominal exercises after taking a go ahead from your doctor. If your body is ready then plan a workout regime for your abdominal muscles. You can also start doing pranayama as it is quite beneficial and effective in toning your stomach muscles. While exercising keep in mind not to overdo it
Can I Go On A Diet To Get Rid Of My ‘Pregnancy Pouch’?
A strict diet regime is definitely not recommended after delivery, especially if you are breastfeeding. However, if you put on a lot of weight during pregnancy, watching what you eat is a good way to start on losing those extra pounds. Yet, it is best to gove nature some time, and exercise should be your first line of action. Even to cut down on calories, wait atleast 6 weeks to start. Do not start a strict dieting regime as losing those kilos quickly can eave you fatigued and exhausted – and if your are nursing, your milk may also get affected. Eating a healthy, balanced diet with a watchful eye on empty calories coupled with some gentle exercise can actually help you lose weight effectively.
Just remember patience is the key for you. It was a nine-month period in which your abdomen stretched to accommodate your baby, so please don’t be in hurry to tighten your belly and also don’t compare yourself with celebrities as they have lots of resources and money to spend on hiring the personal trainers, dietitians and chefs unlike normal people. Set your expectations real and stay away from self-criticism.