The phase of pregnancy is the most beautiful in a woman’s life. This phase reveals a lot of information about one’s body and even helps to accept the rapid changes that take place during and after pregnancy. The changes do not take place only during pregnancy but even after the delivery of the baby as well. It is seen that most of the expecting mothers feel the pain in joints, legs etc even after the surgery is over and the baby is out. The pain after delivery is consistent and severe pain that can make one’s life difficult especially as the age progresses.
The phase of arthritis post pregnancy is stressful for women, as they undergo many hormonal changes and they must take care of the new-born baby. Having a nourishing diet helps in recovering from the postpartum depression etc. To have a better understanding let us see what it means, its causes, ways to manage it and few remedies.
Let us study them one by one as follows:
What Is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a term that defines the joint pain. The pain and the inflexibility in one of the joints or even more are the major reasons of arthritis. This disease can gradually develop with time or can even happen suddenly. This can affect the adult as well as the children. Having a good information can help the people suffering through it and even help the patients to be able to manage it a better way.
There are different types of arthritis and they are as follows:
- Gout or sudden pain and redness in the joints
- Osteoarthritis or chronic joint condition
- Rheumatoid arthritis or chronic disease of the joints
- Fibromyalgia or disorder in the joints
- Lupus or chronic pain.
Causes Of Arthritis After Pregnancy
Pregnancy is quite a difficult yet an amazing phase of a woman’s life. It is commonly seen that expected mothers suffer from the problem of arthritis especially after the birth of the child. There are many underlying causes which could be lack of nutrition, fitness etc. However, few of them need to be looked at and they are as follows:
- The pregnancy can bring about the reduction of the cell-mediated immunity, which can be the cause of arthritis after pregnancy.
- After pregnancy, the immunity system of the mother becomes strong. Therefore, it may trigger allergies and inflammation in mother’s body as it tries to fight off harmful factors (from food and environment). This leads to an increase in different types of arthritis leading to bone and tissue damage.
It is common for women who have had this issue prior to the pregnancy phase, as this problem decreases once the women are pregnant as the immunity system shifts off, but it again revokes after delivery. To make it more complicated most of the medicines that effectively managed arthritis during the prepregnancy time cannot be taken during the breastfeeding phase of the mother (some drugs can pass through the milk to the baby).
Tips To Manage Arthritis After Pregnancy:
The problem of Arthritis is a common one and can occur at all ages. This problem generally aggravates post-pregnancy. It deteriorates for the women after the pregnancy phase is over as the body is already fighting from the changes that have taken place during pregnancy and arthritis adds up to weaken the system further. There are few tips that can be used to control the occurrence of Arthritis after the pregnancy and some of the measures are as under:
- It is important to seek medical assistance while having any type of Arthritis as the doctor can devise a strategy to be able to control arthritis.
- It is crucial to let the doctor know that since you have recently delivered, that ways he will only advise medicines that are safe for the mother and the baby as she is breastfeeding the little one.
- Another viewpoint is to control the factor that triggers it, be it food or environmental elements.
- If required, the doctor can reduce the frequency of medicines in the long run.
- It is also of significance to know the recommended diet.
- It has been noticed that women are suggested to consume more vegetables, fruits, and less fatty stuff.
- Doctors also advise getting rid of coffee and poultry items like beef, pork etc, as well as wheat products to get relief from Arthritis.
- It has been seen that people who complain of obesity, diabetes and hypertension are more prone to suffer from arthritis.
- It is also advisable to get rid of the extra kilos post pregnancy by consulting medical help as excess weight of the body only worsens it further.
- Drugs (which will not affect the breastfeeding baby) shall be prescribed by the doctor to manage the pain of arthritis after pregnancy.
Home Remedies For Arthritis After Pregnancy
It has been seen that arthritis is a very common problem with the expecting mothers. There is no set process for getting rid of the joint pain after delivery. There are though certain home remedies apart from the medical help that one can resort to for reduction of pain to a certain level. Some of the common home remedies that can be applied are as follows:
- Physical Activities To Maintain Muscle Tone: It is advisable to do follow light fitness regime daily. These are done to keep one active. This helps to regulate the pain. Doing exercises that put less pressure on the joints like swimming should be encouraged. It is highly recommended to seek medical assistance before starting it though.
- Hot And Cold Treatment: Another common technique is the application of hot and cold technique which helps in reducing pain. One can use hot bags, or take hot baths, then using cold packs to get rid of the pain in the joints. But care should be taken not to put them directly on the skin. It should always be wrapped in a towel and then applied to the concerned areas.
- Massage: Body massage is the mantra for healing the pain as a good and light massage on the joints by oneself or an expert works great. One can even resort to application of different oils, ointments, which can help to reduce the joint pain.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is yet another technique that can be used to get relief and it can be done with proper help or by oneself if one is aware of the right movements.
Therefore, one should be able to do exercises that help in strengthening the muscles and along with medical assistance get into a fitness regime. The pain and the twinges are a natural phenomenon that is a part of the pregnancy and post-pregnancy phase. If recovery time is offered to the body, with a balance of relaxation methods the pain automatically starts to subside. So, it is important to follow the home remedies and tips along with proper nutrition and care and help to alleviate the pain.