One of the best perks of having a baby girl is you can dress her up according to your heart’s desire. Little princesses are born to dress up, and moms love to gear up their little girls in the prettiest outfits and all matching accessories. However, one becomes quite apprehensive about whether headbands or hair bands are safe to adorn on that tiny head. With the beautiful variety of hair accessories for babies in the market these days, one becomes tempted to try them out on your baby. Read on to know how safe they are and whether they can be used to decorate that little hair.
- Are Hair Bands Safe For Your Baby?
- How To Choose The Right Hair-band For Your Baby?
- Risks Associated With Using Hair Bands Or Head Bands For Babies
Are Hair Bands Safe For Your Baby?
Often, the safety of hair bands or headbands has been questioned. Incidences have been reported wherein babies have tugged at the embellishments and have put themselves at the risk of choking. Hair bands are a boon for little ones who have quite long hair that has not yet been shaved or trimmed off and has begun falling onto your little one’s forehead and eyes. Given below are some helpful tips to ensure you choose the right type of headbands that are safe in every sense of the word for your little girl.
How To Choose The Right Hair-band For Your Baby?
- Always choose hair bands or headbands that are not too small which can go completely into your little one’s mouth if she manages to pull it out
- It is better to steer clear of hair bands that have to add- ons like tiny plastic characters or stones that may peel off easily if your baby tugs at them. These have all chances of choking your little one if she puts them into her mouth
- Never tie any kind of ribbons too, as they can become untangled easily. A ribbon is by no chance safe in your little one’s hand as they can, even choke her or tangle her
- Go for tangle-free bands to tie a tiny sprout or a ponytail that looks very cute on your little princess
- If you want to go for a hair band or headband, it is best to opt for elasticized bands made of soft cotton material that will make the hair stay put and prevent it from falling onto your little girl’s eyes or forehead
- Never choose any kind of hard plastic headbands that will hurt your baby in any way
- Also, remember never to tie up the little one’s hair very tightly as it can cause pain and also harm the delicate hair
- It would be best if these headbands are used for special occasions rather than dressing up your little one with a decorative hair band each time you step out with your darling
- Also, make sure your little one does not fall asleep while wearing her hair band
- It is advisable not to fix hair clips on your little one’s head as they just tend to slide out very soon and will not stay in place
- If the baby looks uncomfortable or the headband leaves a mark, drop it immediately
- If you feel that the baby’s fontanels are getting pressed, it is best to avoid headbands
The best option would be trying out the hair band or any other hair accessory before you buy something as you can then ensure it is neither too tight nor loose for your little one’s head and is a perfect fit in every way. Hair bands can be safe for your baby provided they are not sharp and are worn properly, and of course, you take all the necessary precautions.
However, there is a big discussion about hear bands and other headgear being unsafe for your little one’s head. Read ahead to get acquainted with the risks associated with adoring headbands on your baby’s head.
Risks Associated With Using Hair Bands Or Head Bands For Babies
- Can trigger traction alopecia: Babies have extremely thin and delicate wisps that can get damaged quite easily. Adorning tight bands on the head can cause traction alopecia which is a condition where your little one begins to lose hair
- Choking: As mentioned above, there stands a very great risk of your little one tending to get choked if she happens to manage to pull off some headband accessory into her mouth. Tying it too tight is not good while too lose brings up the chance of choking risks as these little mites manage to pull them off quite easily
- Swallowing risks: Suppose your baby does happen to swallow some part of the hear band. There is every chance it can harm your little mite’s delicate intestine if the objects happen to be rough or sharp. Normally, most objects do pass via stools, but the tension and trauma you need to go through is not worth the risk of adorning these babies with any kind of headbands
Since you have read all warnings and precautions related to making your little princess sport a headband, it depends entirely on you whether you want to place something on her little head or not. So if you do have a fancy to adorn the same, just make sure they are safe in all ways so that no harm comes to your precious bundle in any way.