Kids always have a penchant for cakes, pastries, cookies, pizza, biscuits, etc. Even though they are not healthy options, yet kids long for it occasionally. It is a good option at times as kids eat it nicely when out for shopping or otherwise. However, there are kids who have gluten allergies, and due to that having any of these could worsen their situation resulting in weakness, stomach upset, digestion issues, weight loss, etc. A kid who has been diagnosed with gluten allergy has to go through a challenge as he cannot have anything readily available in the market as he needs to have things without flour and wheat.
The toughest allergies faced by kids are gluten allergies, and the parents have a tougher time as well since they need to look for gluten-free products or prepare at home. This write-up is a compilation of gluten-free recipes that can be used for breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner, and desserts.
Gluten-free Breakfast Ideas for Kids
The breakfast is the most important meal before the day begins, so one should have a “King-size” one to keep one going with rigor. This could comprise of a bowl full of different fruits, pancakes, oats, muesli, etc. This should be choices that keep one full and are healthy options as well. Few gluten-free ideas for kids are as follows, one recipe for each meal.
1.Banana and Oats Pancakes
Pancakes are loved by all kids, but here we will be discussing the gluten-free pancakes that are made without flour.
- Prepare the pancake batter by mixing two bananas, two eggs,1/2 cup rolled oats, salt as per taste and ½ tsp baking powder in a vessel.
- Blend till the required consistency is achieved.
- Heat a pan or a skillet.
- Add one spoon of batter on the pan and cook till they become brown.
- This should be done on medium flame.
This can be served with maple syrup, strawberries, or any fresh fruit
Gluten-Free Snacks for Kids
The kids who are allergic to gluten must curb their desires of having cookies, ice-cream, pasta, brownies, cakes, pastries, etc. It becomes more challenging when they attend some sort of party. A nice gluten-free snack given here as under:
2. Choco-coconut Cookies
The cookies prepared with coconut and chocolate with no traces of flour but taste delicious.
- Set the temperature of the oven at 350ºF and preheat it
- Now grease a cookie sheet and keep it properly.
- Grease a cookie sheet and set it aside.
- Now blend the 2 cups of walnuts and ½ tablespoon cinnamon that can be grounded to powder.
- Once the flour-like thickness is attained, whisk two egg whites and add to the walnut mixture.
- Now add 3 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to the walnut for preparing a batter.
- To this add,¼ cup coconut flakes, and on thickening ½ cup semi-chocolate chips.
- With the help of a spoon, drop small, but same-sized, portions of the mix and leave on the greased cookie sheet.
- Now bake for a period of 15 minutes or till they are brown in color.
Gluten-Free Lunch and Dinner Recipes
The breakfast could be a smoothie, granola bars, pancakes, etc., yet the lunch and dinner must be more filling. This meal cannot just be fruits. It is a good idea to find a replacement for wheat with a gluten-free supplement and prepare a fulfilling and proper dish. We will be now enlisting one gluten-free recipe for lunch as well as dinner.
3. Peanut – Sesame Noodles And Veggies
These are enriched with protein as well as calcium and delicious, as well.
- Boil 1 pack of rice noodles for five to seven minutes, as suggested on the pack instructions.
- Drain the noodles and put it back in the original vessel in which it was boiled without rinsing them.
- In another bowl, combine ¼ cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, and 1 teaspoon chili paste.
- Whisk well till they get mixed.
- Take another pan, add 3 tablespoons peanut butter, let it become hot.
- To this, add 1 chopped red bell pepper,1 stalk of green onion, and 1/1/2 cup diced carrots.
- Toss and add to the noodles.
- Pour this sauce over the noodles and veggies.
- Mix till the noodles get coated with sauce.
- Toss again and sprinkle peanuts as the last garnish.
This can be served warm as well as cold.
It is believed that dinner should always be light, as one can have issues with digestion. It should be light on the stomach but sumptuous as well so that no one feels hungry again. For gluten-free options, we can try the chicken parmesan casserole recipe that makes a delicious dinner indeed.
4. Gluten-free Chicken Parmesan Casserole
This recipe can be prepared in less than an hour and requires only five ingredients.
- Preheat the oven at 350ºF.
- Mix together 4 cups cooked corn pasta, 2 skinless chicken breasts, cooked and sliced to fine pieces,2/3 cup of parmesan cheese, and 12/2 cups marinara sauce in a bowl.
- Mix well
- Spread the mix in a baking tray or a casserole.
- Spread 1/3 cup breadcrumbs or cornmeal all over the pasta and cover with a foil.
- Bake till cooked for a period of 30 minutes.
- Now remove the foil and add 1 cup of parmesan cheese again.
- Cook for an additional ten minutes or till cheese starts melting.
This should be served hot.
Gluten-free Dessert Ideas for Kids
After having dinner, the taste buds always seek for a dessert. For a kid, who is allergic to gluten, he does not have many choices to satiate his taste buds, yet the recipe listed below is sure enough to keep the taste buds tickled.
5. Homemade Banana Pudding
This indeed is a healthy and ideal option for the kids who have gluten energy.
- Peel off 1 medium-sized banana and put it on a baking sheet.
- Bake it at350ºF for almost 25-30 minutes.
- Once it cools down, mash it.
- Now take a pan and add 2 tablespoons honey, sea salt as per taste, and 2 tablespoons corn-starch.
- Whisk it and stir in 11/4 cups of milk, stir again till it is smooth and has no lumps.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons egg yolk and put the pan on medium flame.
- Cook the same for 10 minutes but keep stirring so that no lumps are formed.
- Once the consistency is thick, and it starts to bubble, put the flame on low, and whisk again.
- Take it from the flame and let it cool down.
- Finally, add the mashed banana and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract to this concoction.
- Transfer it to another dish and keep in the refrigerator for about an hour or more till it is chilled, as it needs to be served cold.
Thus, it is important to remember that having a gluten allergy does not mean to stop having all savory, snacks, and deserts which others can have. One only needs to remember to replace wheat and grain ingredients with gluten-free replacements and prepare the delicacies at home, which are not just healthy but delicious too.