Cellulite plagues women of all shapes, sizes and ages. Nearly 90% of women complain of cellulite. Though cellulite is more prominent in fat or overweight people, even the women on the thin side have complained of it as well.
What Is Cellulite?
Cellulite is the layer(s) of fat that gets deposited beneath the skin. It gives a dimpled, bumpy and lumpy look to the skin and is most often noticeable at the hips, abdomen and the thighs. Since these areas are fat prone in women, you will find more women with cellulite. Cellulite pushes against the connective tissues under the skin, giving you that wrinkled, curled up, bulging look at the top. Cellulite is not a ‘fat only’ thing, though losing weight can help you get rid of cellulite as well. It is not really harmful, but many women want to get rid of it because of the way it looks. It is often less noticeable on darker skin and the wrinkles can be easily covered by using a sunscreen.
What Causes Cellulite?
Not really well-understood, but cellulite is thought to be caused by either one or more of the below mentioned reasons:
- Hormonal issues: Thyroid, estrogen, prolactin, insulin etc. have been found to be responsible for cellulite. Because these hormones wreak the metabolism system, fluctuations in these hormones can make you have bumpy, bulging cellulite
- Genetics: Hereditary factors also assume an important role when it comes to fat deposition beneath the skin. These factors can be dealt with by identifying and correcting the problems
- Lifestyle: People who do not exercise and sit or stand for longer duration seem to have more cellulite. Smokers and people who lack physical activity also develop cellulite
- Diet: Prominence of carbohydrates, sugars, oils and fats in diet will make you more likely to have cellulite. Lack of fiber and other essential vitamins will be missed and fat will deposit on the body
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Cellulite In Thighs
- Dry Brushing: As the name suggests, this technique involves the brushing of the skin when both the skin and the brush are dry. Brush from your feet towards your shoulders, focusing on the areas that have cellulite. Always brush from the left to the right side of the body, so that blood circulation is encouraged. Dry brushing can be done for about 5 minutes daily before shower, and then wash yourself to get rid of dead skin cells. You will surely notice change in your skin after a few months of regular dry brushing
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar has many uses, and it can also help you get rid of cellulite. It is rich in minerals, potassium, magnesium and calcium and can effectively help you release toxins from the body. For getting rid of cellulite, mix one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water and add some honey to the mixture. Gently rub the mixture on areas where you have cellulite and let the mixture stay for 30 minutes. Wash off with warm water. You can skip the honey and after rubbing the mixture, wrap yourself with plastic wrap and put a warm towel over it for one hour. Wash off with warm water. Do this daily to get awesome results
- Take Detox Baths: Detox bath help release toxins from the body and hence are a good bet to get rid of cellulite. They also prevent fat tissues from accumulating beneath the skin so that you do not get cellulite at the first place. Lukewarm water with about 4 sheets of seaweed or 1 cup sea salt can help you take a relaxing, detox bath. Soak in this water for about 20 minutes and moisturize your skin afterwards
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Cellulite In Abdomen
- Coffee Scrub: As tempting as it sounds, caffeine in coffee helps to tighten the skin and clears off cellulite. Mix 2-3 table spoons of coconut oil with 3 tablespoons sugar and ¼ cup coffee grounds and make a scrub. Massage several times and wash off as usual. Regularly using coffee scrub can help you get rid of cellulite and you will also smell great
- Boost your Lymphatic system: The lymphatic system is part of the circulatory system and a vital part of the immune system, comprising a network of lymphatic vessels that carry a clear fluid called lymph (from Latin lympha meaning water) directionally towards the heart. A lazy lymphatic system will make your body retain toxins and give you cellulite. To combat this, have lots of water, lean proteins and healthy fats
- Take in the Omegas: Skip trans and saturated fats completely from your diet and swap them for omega 3s, omega 6s and omega 9s. Have a handful of chia seeds for omega 3s, have black current seeds for omega 6s and to get omega 9s, have olive and macadamia nut oils. The oleic acid will prevent abdominal bloating and help you get rid of cellulite from the belly
Exercises For Cellulite Loss
Losing cellulite from your body may seem like one hard nut to crack, but simple lifestyle and diet changes can help manifold. Shed off those extra pounds by regular exercising, focusing on burning fat. High intensity cardio exercises like running coupled with abdominal exercises can help you get rid of cellulite. Jogging, swimming, jumping, swimming can all help control cellulite appearance. Stress also contributes to slower metabolism and hormonal imbalances. Keep your stress levels low, do not over think and maintain your hormones in harmony. Deep breathing techniques can help with stress and you can opt for aromatherapy as well.
Are Cellulite Creams Effective?
Anti-cellulite creams have flooded the markets but their effectiveness is still questionable. No medical research has proven the effectiveness of any anti-cellulite cream. These creams claim to dissolve fat and thus smoothen the skin. Some of them also contain aminophylline, a drugs used to treat asthma and can cause harm to some people. Some creams can even cause circulatory problems by forcing water from skin and narrowing down the blood vessels. Anti-cellulite creams cannot really help you get rid of cellulite, and do nothing more than deceive you through their advertisements.
In the end, try balancing your hormones as hormones play a key role in how you look and feel and control your metabolism. Keep yourself stress free, and keep toxins away from your body.