Thinking about getting pregnant again? Especially after a C-section? Whether earlier you had a vaginal birth or c –section, a proper gap between two pregnancies is very essential and the most important part is understanding the importance as to why doctors recommend a pregnancy spacing specifically after C-section. Let us discuss the factors that you must consider before you decide to conceive again.
How Long Should I Wait For A Second Baby After A C-section?
Normally, the medically recommended time frame that you should wait for before conceiving after C Section is at least 6 months. An year’s gap is even better. Most of the time doctors advise the same amount of time frame for women who give birth vaginally. This waiting period acts as a healing phase for your scars or tears that you have developed at the time of delivery. Actually this time frame is the most vital part for proper recovery. The extended the time given to your body for healing can make it much stronger and healthier especially if you would like to try giving birth vaginally for your next baby. Even if you do not have plans for a vaginal delivery, it is worth waiting for at least an year so that the scar has healed and your body has recovered from the previous C-section.
How Does Waiting For A Longer Period For My Second Pregnancy Help Me?
- To heal enough: May be for you the recommended 12- 18 months wait can appear a very long time. But honestly, delivering a healthy baby takes a toll on mother’s body; you lose a lot of nutrients -and to stock up them once again your body requires time. Also, in majority of the C-section deliveries women loose more blood as compared to those who deliver vaginally which often leaves them at border line from being an anemic
- To evade health risks: There are many researches which supports the fact that getting pregnant too soon after C-section can expose expectant mothers to various health complications. For instance, giving birth too soon can be a cause of ruptured uterus and can put them at risk of having high chances of premature birth. There are also some risks of delivering babies who have low birth weight
- You can plan better: Planning a better life and a better future without adding any major health risk to yourself is always a win-win situation. This eighteen months waiting period can provide you enough time to plan ahead while giving you ample time to relax, heal and enjoy the motherhood period with your current baby. You can plan the next one at the most apt time
- To restore health: The nine months of pregnancy and breast-feeding your baby afterwards can drain the stock of your essential nutrients, such as iron and folate. If in case you become pregnant again after short span of time especially before replacing those nutrients, it could affect your health or your baby’s health
What Risks Are Associated With Getting Pregnant Too Soon After A Cesarean?
There are some researches which support the evidence that giving birth within a year after C-section can put you at increased risk of:
- Placenta previa: Women who had their first baby by C-section are at an increased risk of their placenta attaching itself to the lower part of the uterine wall, thus partially or totally covering the cervix. Read more about placenta previa here
- Placental abruption: A small time between two pregnancies after a first C-section will also put you at a risk of a low lying placenta or the placenta can detach itself from the womb, which can be a serious complication
- Increased risk of uterine rupture: A very dangerous complications of having a vaginal birth after a cesarean (VBAC) especially if the gap between two pregnancy is too less. Though it is rare that your C-scar tears with a VBAC, yet the likelihood increases with lesser gap. Read more about VBAC here
- Premature birth: This is a major complication for both mother especially when the gap between the two pregnancies is less than six months. Usually in these cases deliveries occur before 36-37 weeks
- Low birth weight: Women who previously had C-section and become pregnant too soon can also deliver baby with birth weight under 2.5kg
What If I Get Pregnant Again Quickly After C-section?
If in case you get pregnant earlier than the recommended time then please try not to worry much as there are numerous women who get pregnant too soon again and have totally healthy pregnancies and babies. Under the expertise of your doctor, you can also have a healthy second pregnancy and a healthy second baby in the event of getting pregnant soon after a cesarean. Also, if your age is more than 35 it might be beneficial for you to conceive early and not to wait or so long as the risk of conceiving increases with age. It’s advisable to talk to your doctor if you want to time your pregnancies close together because of your age or for other reasons.