Pregnancy is the time when the mother-to-be undergoes many physical and emotional changes due to the hormones. It is a phase where the lady needs all the support and understanding of the near and dear ones because its symptoms are hard to define and differ from one to another, and not easy for the pregnant lady also to comprehend. With the growth of the baby, the belly of the woman starts expanding and results in what is also referred to as the “red brooch of motherhood”, even though the baby is still not there but the imprints are becoming visible. Stretch marks are also very irritating for the pregnant lady as they are very itchy and can occur in different parts of the body. So, starting from stretch marks to increase in weight, breakouts and other issues, pregnancy can sometimes be a challenging one.
Let us now understand what the significance is of stretch marks, few tips to prevent the stretch marks, when do they occur and the remedies for minimizing them, when do they vanish etc.
What Are Stretch Marks In Pregnancy?
Stretch marks, appear in the form of depressed stripes and could be seen in the belly, hips, breasts, and lower back of the pregnant woman. Stretch marks are a common occurrence and they can appear at any point during pregnancy. As the pregnancy advances, the skin starts expanding due to the immense weight increase. Stretch marks are a natural phenomenon and can even be risky at times, so it is better to know the ways to treat them.
When Do Pregnancy Stretch Marks Occur?
The stretch marks start appearing around the end of the third month or beginning of the fourth month. These can be in different colours like, yellow, red, pink, purplish or even tan. These are most prominent in the thighs, hips, butt, belly or breasts. The stretch marks are very itchy and can worsen in look if they are itched with nails or something pointed, so it is advisable to not use nails but apply creams and oils made for them.
What Are The Causes Of Stretch Marks?
The growth of the baby and hormonal changes results in the occurrence of the stretch marks. As the baby starts growing, the body starts expanding due to the increased pressure resulting in stretch marks which are very irritating and can even be very uncomfortable so one should know the best ways of preventing them.
Is It Possible To Prevent The Stretch Marks In Pregnancy?
Even though many creams that guarantee that they can prevent the occurrence of the stretch marks, yet it is proven that there is no way to prevent stretch marks in pregnancy. This happens due to the expansion of the body which is due to the growth of the baby, and it is natural. Though one cannot stop them but can try to cure them or minimize once they occur. Some of the ways and methods will be discussed in the following paragraphs.
The ideal way by which pregnant women can try to prevent stretch marks is by monitoring the weight gain gradually and that needs to be well monitored by a medical expert who can advise the adequate fitness and nutrition that is important for the mother and the baby. This is also a way but not a guarantee that stretch marks will not appear.
Ways And Means To Minimize Pregnancy Stretch Marks
Stretch marks in pregnancy are also due to genetics and are a natural phenomenon but still, there are many ways in which one can try to minimize their occurrence. Some of the methods are given below:
- Moisturization Is The Key: It is important to keep the skin moisturized and it is recommended to apply cocoa butter, it does not prevent it but helps to combat the itchiness and dry skin that are common facets of pregnancy.
- Increase Intake Of Vitamin C: It is common to see skin discolouration and darkening during pregnancy, so it is vital to have a good intake of foods enriched with Vitamin C as it helps in extra nourishment and helps in minimizing the occurrence of stretch marks.
- Control weight: It is important to keep monitoring the weight gain as that also leads to stretch marks, if the intake of calories is monitored then the occurrence of the stretch marks can be minimized.
- Hydration Is The Mantra: Water is a miracle drink and can-do wonders in pregnancy or otherwise, so it is vital to have eight to ten glasses of water to help in minimizing the stretch marks during pregnancy.
- Massage The Skin For Effective Results: Massaging the skin twice a day for about ten minutes with creams made for prevention of stretch marks or moisturizers can do wonders as it helps to:
- Keep the skin soft, elastic and supple.
- It helps in fading the stretch marks that have already appeared.
- The creams penetrate in the deeper layers of the skin preventing the occurrence of further stretch marks.
- It offers a good flow of blood and makes the skin healthy.
When Do The Stretch Marks Vanish?
It is seen that the stretch marks appear at the end of the first trimester and the start of the second and are there even after the delivery happens, sometimes they look very ugly as well. But after the delivery, the stretch marks tend to fade away to a lighter colour and aren’t too visible. Yet if they still show two treatments can be used for their removal.
- Ultra-Targeted Treatment: It is the ideal choice, easy to be used and not too heavy on the pocket.
- InvasiveTreatment: This treatment is ideal for stubborn marks. Laser therapy and Microdermabrasion are two types of invasive treatment, even though both are high in price, and not too comfortable yet have effective results.
Thus, stretch marks are not a very pleasant sight to witness but they are not permanent and can be minimized by following the above-cited ways. They generally have no risks associated with them, but invasive and ultra-treatments are only undertaken for boosting the image and confidence of the pregnant else they do not pose any serious hazards. Stretch marks are just an add on to pregnancy or an imprint of the small little life residing in the pregnant lady.