There are many women who get pregnant easily, while there are many others who struggle and go for many treatments to get pregnant. Finally, after getting pregnant, there will be hundreds of discomforts in the cuddle of providing motherly comfort. Back pain is such a monster which takes out the zeal of a day. Check out how you can manage and get relief from back pain besides having a tedious work style. Enjoy your pregnancy period by learning simple practices and leaving out the bad practices which trigger back pain.
How Common Is Back Pain During Pregnancy?
If you are expecting a baby, then you must expect back pain too. Almost all the pregnant ladies have this trouble. This pain occurs mostly as the baby grows and commonly observed by every pregnant woman. Back pain is even considered as the early pregnancy symptom as it indicates the loosening of joints and ligaments.
Is Back Pain During Early Pregnancy A Sign Of Miscarriage?
If you observe lower backache and uterine bleeding, then you must consult a doctor without delay. There are even chances where back pain is accompanying with open cervix and bleeding. These are the cases where miscarriage is expected.
What Are The Causes Of Back Pain During Pregnancy?
- Overweight: Are you overweight and also experience stress in your regular life? Then you must be cautious as this might lead to severe back pain in your last trimesters.
- Bad Postures: Are you aware that pregnancy changes your center of gravity? Yes, the weight of the growing baby and uterus will enhance the pressure on blood vessels and pelvic nerves which causes back pain.
- Hormone Changes: The main reason for back pain is even expressed due to the release of the hormone called relaxin. This hormone loses the joins for the birth process. As a result, the ligaments that support the spine will loosen and causes back pain.
- Emotional Stress: The stress is accumulated at the weak points of the body. While you are pregnant, in the process of delivering the baby, all your joints get loosen and this stress also will enhance the chances of back pain.
- Alteration In Centre of Gravity: The change in shape of the body and loosening of nerves and ligaments will be changing your center of gravity.
How To Ease Back Pain During Pregnancy?
- Apply Heat and Cold Compresses: Both heat and cold compress are used for different purpose. You can use the heat to soothe stiff joints and to relax the muscles. On the other hand, cold compress is used to numb the sharp pain and when you have the intolerable inflammation.
- Use Right Gear: When you have back pain, try the shoes with a good arch and as well which have a low heel. It is even not recommended to wear the flat ones.
- Practice Good Postures: Always ensure that your spine is in good posture. While you slouch, the ligaments get strained to keep your posture balanced. While you sit, stand, walk or sleep, remember… postures matter. The joints provide more strength and stability for your back, which might help you get relieved. While lifting something, keep your feet distant and use small and slow moments. Doing this might reduce sudden stress on the back.
- Manage Pregnancy Weight Gain: Even though you eat as per your cravings, ensure that you are involved in some physical activity. This helps you to stay active and get rid of the unwanted pounds.
- Acupuncture: while back pain is really troubling you, there are chances to get relief from it with Acupuncture. There are different methods in acupuncture where the lower back pain is effectively treated for almost everyone.
- Sleep with Care: While you sleep on your stomach or in the position which causes stress to your back, the chances for back pain will be high. So, make sure to find out the most convenient position for you in sleeping to get relieved.
- Stay Physically Active: Physical activity is always good for physical and mental health as well. Besides your busy schedule, ensure that you are involved in physical activity with proper training. So that your activity doesn’t cause more harm.
- Practice Yoga: Stretching and strengthening of the spine will ensure that back pain will be relieved. Rather, when you have immense pain, it is not advised to do yoga. While the soreness and chronic aches will be reduced when you do proper stretching and strengthening positions.
- Relieve Stress: Mindful meditation and breathing techniques will always help you to relax. Learn the vital and simple breathing techniques which will bring out a great change in your life.
- Chiropractic: Chiropractic manipulation of the spine can be safe during pregnancy and is beneficial in combating back pain during pregnancy. Chiropractors are trained to work with pregnant women. However, choose one who is specialized in it. But before opting this, you should consult your doctor for his opinion.
- Medication: Back pain during pregnancy is quite common and it is better to combat it without medication. However, if it is so severe, there might be some underlying cause. Consult your doctor. He will evaluate the issue and if needed will prescribe painkillers that is safe during pregnancy. However, during pregnancy, never take any medicines without your doctor’s approval.
Can You Prevent Back Pain During Pregnancy?
The only method to get rid of back pain during pregnancy is by maintaining the good posture. As stated earlier, the main cause of back pain is the change in the body, your center of gravity, which you have no control over. However, there are some preventive measures which you can adapt during pregnancy, which help to prevent back pain or at least its intensity. Like,
- Avoid high heels, wear flat heels.
- Always keep your back straight. Do it when you stand, sit or even when you are lying down.
- You can put on a support belt under your lower abdomen for an extra support.
- Always sleep on sides, never on your back.
- Always try to carry weight evenly. For example, instead of holding shopping bags in one hand, divide it between your two hands for proper balancing of the body.
- Avoid sitting or standing in the same position for a long time.
- Take plenty of rest, especially during the latter half of pregnancy. Remember the back pain tend to worsen as the pregnancy progresses. While resting elevate your feet. This helps to take some pressure from your back.
When To Seek Medical Attention For Back Pain During Pregnancy?
Even though back pain is common during pregnancy, you should seek immediate medical attention if,
- Besides back pain, if you are also observing weakens, severe pain, numbness then you must consult your doctor for better treatment.
- If you are in second or third trimester (it might be a sign of preterm labor)
- If you are experiencing spotting along with back pain.
- If fever and burning sensation during urination accompany back pain (sign of UTI).
- If the back pain remains without reducing the intensity for two days
Never take any pain medicines for back pain without consulting your Doctor. You are not alone or even you are not one of the few expecting mothers who is experiencing back pain. About 2/3 of the pregnant women experiences back pain during some stage of their pregnancy. So take the preventive measures and home remedies and get ready to welcome your little bundle of joy.