Normally a cough is not an illness but a natural way of our body to combat itself from the unwelcomed entrants. An airway to the lungs sometime gets blocked due to thick mucus or any such substance like smoke or pollen, which gets cleared as soon as a person coughs. Cough can be of two types i.e. infectious cough and non infectious cough and their common causes can be whooping cough, pneumonia, cold, bronchitis, sinusitis, emphysema, etc
- Coughing is the most common symptom
- Chest pain
- Frequent sneezing
- Problem in breathing
Sometime its hard to detect the root cause of cough as most of its symptoms are same as that of cold and flu.
Similar to cold, cough can also be treated with over the counter medicines but sometimes when it’s severe, its best to consult the doctor. Certain medicines like ACE inhibitors and Beta lockers should be avoided when suffering from acute cough as it may trigger the ailment.
WHEN TO BE CONCERNED
- If breathing problem exaggerates and continue for sometime then a doctor should be consulted with immediate effect.
- If blood comes out while coughing
- Severe chest pain due to coughing
- If your child is suffering from coughing and fever at the same time.
- If the baby is younger than 3 months and gets bouts of cough
- Make sure that the child has been given a DTap Vaccine on time.
The severity of cough could only determine the process of treatment as home based treatment will not be able to cure the severe cough. Some of the home based remedies are mentioned below
- Offer your child plenty of fluids like breast milk for babies and water and juices for the old kids.
- Make your child gargle with hot salty water.
- Avoid smoking in front of the kids.
- Honey with hot water or tea can be taken to get cured from cough
- Eucalyptus and mint should be taken as it gives relief to the coughing patient.
- Never give cough drops to young kids.
Sometimes, cough is just caused by viruses which need to run their course. However, do seek a medical advice if the coughing lasts for more than 3 weeks.