Once you discover you have conceived, it becomes imperative you think twice about what you drink and eat. You find that foods which were once safe for you may no longer be safe for the little life growing inside you. This makes it important that you scan thoroughly what goes into your system ensuring it is perfectly suitable for both the mom to be and your baby.
Pregnancy is one time all kinds of minor issues or complications rear their head, making you feel uncomfortable all the time. And simple home remedies like herbs from the kitchen can provide you with relief for various kinds of uneasiness you experience during this period. Fennel seeds are one of the most commonly used such herbs but whether they are absolutely safe and effective for you needs to be examined in detail.
What Is Fennel?
Fennel, which has its roots in Europe is a plant which is a part of the parsley family. Armed with feathery leaves and yellow flowers, this plant has a nice aroma. With a crispy and slightly sweet flavor, this seed adds a special taste when added to food while cooking. This herb which is extremely common in everyone’s kitchen especially in India, is known to have excellent medicinal properties which help to get rid of various health issues. It has also been proven to be a useful remedy for tooth pain and gum issues apart from being an excellent mouth freshener.
Benefits Of Fennel Seeds During Pregnancy
- Fennel seeds tea has been found to be extremely effective in combating nausea and morning sickness which is one of the most common issues most moms to be face during their first three months of pregnancy
- It has been proven to be quite effective to get relief from bloating symptoms which majority of the pregnant women suffer from.
- Fennel seeds are also known to help you develop an appetite if you are not feeling hungry
- They are also found to be quite effective in helping to relive indigestion symptoms which pregnant women face during this period.
- They also offer you respite from gas pain and heart burn during pregnancy period
- They have been found to be useful in treating various lactation and pregnancy disorders
Is Fennel Safe To Be Consumed While Pregnant?
Quite a lot of studies have been conducted in the above mentioned area and it has been found fennel seeds are not extremely safe to have during conception. Given below are some of the side effects that fennel seeds may trigger when you use them while you are pregnant.
- Fennel seeds have been found to make your blood clotting properties sluggish. This makes people who are victims of any kind of bleeding disorder prone to more bruises and bleeding which is quite risky during this period
- Women who have sensitive skin should also steer clear of fennel seeds during their conception period as your skin tends to get drier and extremely sensitive when you have fennel seeds
- Fennel seeds are found to have emmenagogue effects which imply these seeds can trigger your menstrual cycle which is a big threat to having a miscarriage during this period
- If consumed in excess during your pregnancy, fennel seeds can trigger unwanted side effects for both you and your baby
From all the above mentioned it can be inferred that is it alright to consume fennel seeds in limited quantities as over consumption can cause dangerous repercussions while you are pregnant. And like any other food, the best course would be to ask your doctor whether fennel seeds are completely safe and beneficial for you at this stage to ensure you steer clear of unwanted side effects during this crucial period. If your doctor proclaims fennel seeds as safe for you, you could begin having fennel tea when you feel like it. However, make sure you stick to the dosage your doctor has recommended and never go overboard.
Fennel Tea For Nausea During Pregnancy
Fennel tea is quite well known all over the world and is known to possess excellent medicinal properties which are ideal to provide you relief in a lot of health issues. Here’s how to prepare your own cup of tea during your pregnancy.
- Crushed Fennel Seeds
- Jaggery syrup or honey
Method of Preparing Fennel Tea
- Crush or powder fennel seeds
- Heat water in a pan till It begins boiling
- Add the powdered fennel into your boiling water
- Close your pan with a lid and switch your gas off
- Let it stay for around five minutes
- Now strain the tea concoction and mix either honey or jaggery to it according to your taste preference
- Sip it while it is still warm and enjoy leisurely enjoying its immense benefits
So go ahead and find out how safe fennel seeds are for you and your little one growing inside and begin having them today if your doctor recommends it.