Fitness is the latest mantra, and these days almost everybody understands the significance of exercising. Not all the people who like to stick on to repetitive steps daily. So there are a varied set of programs that have been introduced for them. Sometime back exercise was limited to the gym, walking, jogging, yoga, but recently one finds a combination of programs like cardio, Pilates, yoga, Zumba, etc.
Zumba is a lethal combination of fun and fitness together. It helps in breaking the monotony as the exercises are done in a fun-filled way with good music, and that helps to burn the unwanted calories. One can find grove on the latest music numbers and exercise simultaneously, which helps to increase the flexibility of the individual doing it.
There is indeed a gamut of people practicing Zumba daily, which, along with fun, is a great way to exercise. There lies a notion that Zumba is not safe if done during the phase of pregnancy. D It is time we burst the myth and get a better know-how of the importance of exercise during pregnancy, what one means by Zumba? How is it a good prenatal workout? What are the advantages of doing Zumba during the pregnancy phase, what are the different types of Zumba, and what is the correct time to stop it?
Why Is It Important To Exercise During Pregnancy?
Pregnancy is indeed the most beautiful phase in the life of women, and there are indefinite dos and don’ts listed for her during this time. People bombard the new to-be mother with the right way to sit, walk, list of things to eat, and specifically, a lot of knowledge is imparted during exercises and fitness. A lot of people do believe that exercising is not safe currently, but the reality is that exercising in moderation leads to a safer and smoother pregnancy.
Its significance can be attributed to the undermentioned factors stated below:
- It helps to boost the blood through the body.
- It helps to stimulate the overall health of the mother-to-be
- It upsurges the oxygen quantity to the body.
- It helps in the prevention of getting into depression.
- It minimizes the chances of cramping
- It even helps to reduce the occurrence of leg cramps that happen due to blood congestion.
- It assists in toning and helps to prepare the entire body for giving birth to a child.
- It stimulates to speed the recovery of the organs and its placement post-delivery.
What Do You Mean By Zumba?
Zumba is a great way to keep one fit, along with proper exercising. It involves culminating aerobics and dance together to make it a fun-filled session. This is a great way for pregnant women to keep fit, and it is even enjoying for them than the regular workouts. It can be called as a dance-based fitness training session that helps to stimulate fitness and makes the body flexible. But the Zumba routine can be modified as per the requirements of pregnant women. It helps pregnant women to maintain a healthy weight.
Why Is Zumba An Option For A Good Prenatal Workout?
- It comprises of some nice dance moves with the foot-tapping music that rejuvenates the mind, heart, body, and soul. This keeps the mother away from the unhappiness that sometimes arises during this phase.
- The best part of Zumba is that both the mother and the baby dance to the same tune.
Benefits Of Practicing Zumba Through The Pregnancy Phase
Zumba is a great way to keep oneself active and entertain simultaneously. It is not only. It is not only a cut above the rest but easily adaptable to the changing needs of pregnant women. It is highly beneficial for pregnant women also due to some other benefits which are as below:
- Exercising during the pregnancy phase comprises increased flexibility as well as upsurge energy levels that help to ease the pregnancy discomfort that occurs due to belly growth etc.
- Zumba workouts help to uplift the production of a chemical. This chemical assists in alleviating pain as they are natural painkillers. This helps the women for a smoother and short labor process and childbirth, as well.
Zumba is a high-intensity fitness program but can be easily molded as per the changing needs of pregnant women. It is the easiest and the most fun-filled session, which amalgamates dance and exercising together. There are several variants available under Zumba, and one can speak to the Zumba coach and find out which is the best one available for the pregnant women,
Some of the variants are:
- Traditional Zumba
- Zumba Toning
- Zumba Gold
- Aqua Zumba
- Zumba Atomic
- Zumba Marumba
It is seen that pregnant women generally favor Aqua Zumba. This is because it is done in cool water; it has a revitalizing effect and makes it less stressful. Aqua Zumba still maintains the high energy fun of classic Zumba and suitable for pregnant women.
Is Zumba Safe For Pregnant Women?
Even though fitness is considered a must for pregnant women, yet it is believed that physical activity should always be done in moderation. Similarly, it is also recommended that pregnant women should stick on to low-intensity workouts. The pulse of a pregnant woman should not exceed 140 beats per minute during any fitness regimen, along with a daily 30 minutes session.
Since Zumba fulfills both the criterion mentioned above, it is safe for pregnant women. Apart from these are a few points that one needs to ponder before getting into Zumba lessons, especially while pregnant and they are as below:
Pointers to be kept in mind-
- It is important to look at the body signs and start Zumba if one has been previously involved with dancing, aerobics, or any fitness regimen prior to pregnancy.
- In case combating with any health issues like sugar, diabetes, BP issues, cholesterol, etc., choose to indulge in Zumba only if the doctor approves.
- Zumba is a high-impact exercise program and can be challenging on account of the arduous workout session that leads to an increase in the blood flow to about 50%, which is more than normal.
- It is important to have a word with the Zumba instructor so that they can make the required changes as per the situation of the pregnant women.
- Keep yourself hydrated and increase your water intake prior to and post the Zumba sessions to prevent dehydration.
- In case one starts to get breathless, it is a signal to stop immediately as the baby is indicating that it is having breathing issues.
What Are The Risk Factors?
Zumba, no doubt, is the fun-filled way to keep oneself fit while grooving to good and tapping music. It certainly rejuvenates the body and soul. It is even completely safe for a pregnant woman if discussed with the Zumba instructor so that the required changes or modifications can be done. Yet, there are some signs which tell you to stop instantly and seek immediate assistance. One needs to be vigilant and keep a lookout for the signs below:
- Any significant rise in the contractions
- Any sort of pain, bulge, or inflammation that becomes intolerable specifically in the calf muscles.
- Chest pain, nausea, dizziness, headache, etc
- Increase in uterine contractions.
- Fluid leakage or any blood loss in the vagina
Thus, it is ideal to be active and fit during pregnancy, and Zumba certainly is the best option as the whole process of exercising becomes a fun-filled one. Yet it is equally significant to look at the body signs and take instant action as well. While indulging in Zumba, keep it a low affair, and do not overexert yourself. After all, the body is the guide to you, so be alert and watch.