The baby is 5 cms long, the size of a plum and is kicking, stretching, flexing and bouncing inside you but you cannot feel it since it is very small touch the uterine wall, as yet.
This week you feel energetic and all of a sudden you find your partner more attractive. Since the usual energy is back so is the libido. You will feel more sensual. It is absolutely safe to have sex during pregnancy, unless you have a risk of premature labour or rupture in membrane. The baby is protected by thick mucus covering your cervix and the amniotic fluids acts as a buffer to all that pushing and thrusting.
Physical and Emotional You
- The hormone levels are on a high leaving your face pigmented with dark patches. You could even notice a dark line beginning appear from your navel to public area. You should be looking pregnant now!
- Time to feel special… The extra volume of blood circulating in your body gives you that glow, which everyone talks about. The uterus lifts from the pelvis region relaxing you more, so that frequent visit to the washroom to pee will come to an end from this week.
- You might be feeling relieved as the chances of a miscarriage have dropped largely, and it sounds safe to announce the world that a little angel is on the way.
- If you are over with the morning sickness and fatigue, you might want to go out and have some good time at a place of choice. Remember, with the baby, there’s no alcohol or cigarette for you.
- Eat healthy, eat really well. The baby will suck whatever it wants from your body, leaving you depleted, hence a balanced diet is very critical for you.
Your Baby at Week 12
The baby is developing big time now and all the glands have started working. The brain is trying to take the charge, and the eyes and ears look more defined now. Lips are there and so are other facial faces. Alcohol, drugs, tobacco is a complete no-no, because these could have a long time effect on your baby. The bone marrow produces white blood cells that means the baby is getting prepared to fight infections. The baby’s intestine starts contracting and functioning. It has its first bowel motion, surprisingly but what it is will be a mystery.
Things to Note
- The baby needs more oxygen so do not do any heavy exercises. Mountain climbing, scuba diving, travelling to low altitude places are risky. Understand what is good and what is bad for you and the baby while you eat. Listeria is a common food borne disease during pregnancy.
- Moisturise your skin especially around the belly, hips, and thighs daily to prevent dry and itchy skin.
- It is also recommended to get tested for chromosomal abnormalities.
PS: Every baby grows differently in the womb and outside it. The information presented here is on generic terms, and it does not necessarily holds true for everyone.