Every woman’s journey of pregnancy is more or less like a rollercoaster ride. You might entice the joy of the kicks of your baby. At the same time, you get drenched in a world of discomforts in the name of hormones. The hormonal changes and increase in the uterus create an imbalance of the body. Hear burn is a common issue during pregnancy and Ranitidine is a medicine that effectively fights heart burn. But is it safe to have during pregnancy? Find out.
Heartburn During Pregnancy
Heartburn is frequent during pregnancy as a progesterone hormone relaxes the valve. As a result, indigestion and heartburn occur frequently.
The growing uterus aggravates heartburn with increased pressure on the intestines. Heartburn is more prevalent in the third trimester.
Heartburn is the most observed discomfort. The pressure on the intestine and hormonal changes are the culprits. Pregnant women do follow a strict diet regime and eat in intervals or have small meals. Still, there are many cases where acid reflux or heartburn is prevailing. They even try natural remedies.
When all these fail, then comes Ranitidine as a rescue. Want to know whether it’s safe for pregnant women? Read on. Here are some facts which you must understand about Ranitidine before using it.
Using Ranitidine During Pregnancy
The hormonal changes bring a lot of surprises to your body when pregnant. Acid reflux, heartburn, and indigestion are common concerns. Are you confused about what medicine to take when natural remedies are not working?
Ranitidine comes to your rescue to reduce the acid reflux in the stomach. In the market, Ranitidine is available in the form of tablets or liquids. Based on your comfort, take any of these.
The strength of the different Ranitidine does vary. The least available dose in the market is 75mg tablets. Doctors prescribe the right dosage for you.
Is It Safe To Take Ranitidine During Pregnancy?
- Yes, there are many women considering Ranitidine to relieve indigestion.
- Women who are pregnant and breastfeeding are safe to use this medicine.
- But it is advised to cure indigestion or its symptoms naturally.
- The doctors suggest taking smaller meals often to feel comfortable.
- Avoid foods triggering indigestion, especially oily foods, spicy or junk foods.
Can I Take Ranitidine In The First Trimester?
The study on Ranitidine suggests that it is safe for pregnant women to take this medicine. Some women used it right from the first trimester. Based on the health conditions, they have used the same for their entire pregnancy.
However, they have conceived babies without any problems. All the same, the doctors used to recommend taking yogurt or milk to reduce the reflux naturally. Honey added to lukewarm milk also relieves from the heartburn. If it doesn’t control, get the advice from the doctor.
Factual Elements Of Ranitidine:
- When heartburn is troubling you, it is fine to take Ranitidine without food or even after a meal.
- Women usually take it once. But if reflux is not in control, there is no harm in taking the second tablet as well in a day. Talk to your doctor about the dosage.
- You need not use Ranitidine throughout the pregnancy. If you are feeling better without it, stop using it.
- Available Ranitidine in the market is Zantac, zantac75.
- Usually, there are no side effects with Ranitidine, but there are few women who have concerns with constipation or stomach pain. They gradually get better by using this medicine daily.
Can The Intake of Ranitidine During PregnancyCause Birth Defects?
Ranitidine belongs to category B medicines. This means no direct or indirect harmful effects on the human fetus having been detected. To date, Ranitidine is not known for any miscarriage or any risk to the growing fetus.
What Antacids Are Safe To Take During Pregnancy?
Women who are not happy or getting relived of heartburn with natural remedies might go for the antacids. Notably, prescribes antacids are Rolaids, rums, and Maalox. These are helpful to relieve the heartburn during pregnancy.
The antacids with magnesium and calcium carbonate as the composition help treat heartburn. Magnesium is not very much appreciated during the last trimester of pregnancy.
Does Ranitidine Cross The Placenta?
Yes, Ranitidine crosses the placenta. The maternal ratios, as per administration, include 0.9 to 0.4 as per the oral dosages.
Few Side Effects of Ranitidine During Pregnancy
- The side effects include stomach pains, yet times it may get worse. Consult the doctor if this persists.
- Feeling sick suddenly besides heartburn are the other symptoms.
- Constipation and feeling worse are the severe symptoms that result as a side effect.
- Yet times, fever, back pain, or rashes, kidney problems also occur.
However, chances are very few. Almost one in 1000 are prone to these symptoms.
Ranitidine Impact on Breastfeeding:
Doctors suggest that it is entirely safe to take even while breastfeeding. But, this medicine passes into the breastmilk. However, it is safe for the baby.
In case your baby is premature or allergic or having other health issues. Get the advice of a medical expert.
Ranitidine is entirely safe to treat pregnant women. Suffering from heartburn is quite common in pregnancy. Ranitidine is suggestedto get relief when the natural remedies are not working. Taking this throughout pregnancy is even safe. It doesn’t cause any miscarriage. Women with breastfeeding are also using the same. As the dosage of medicine that enters breastmilk is less and doesn’t cause harm to the baby. Get the advice of the doctors before taking Ranitidine to cure acid reflux.