Although rains are a welcome change after the horrible heat during the summer months, the monsoon brings along many diseases also with its arrival. Mosquitoes and water borne diseases become extremely common during this season and it is imperative that you take necessary precautions to avoid your little darling from getting sick during this season. Here are 10 simple tips to ensure that you keep your baby healthy and steer clear of illnesses that normally lurk around during the monsoon season. With your baby happy and healthy, monsoon can be an enjoyable time.
10 Tips To Protect Babies From Rainy Season Diseases
- Clothing: The weather during monsoon is quite varied, as it becomes quite hot when the sun shines while it turns cool once it begins to rain. So it is imperative that you dress your baby properly during this season. Ensure that the little one is adorned in loose fitting cotton clothing while the sun shines and also make sure the baby is wrapped well in a jacket or a warm cardigan when it begins raining and gets a little chilly. Always keep dry sets of clothes ready so that you can change the little one whenever necessary
- Protection from mosquitoes and insects: In spite of all the precautions taken to keep mosquitoes at bay, there is every chance that a couple of mosquitoes will somehow enter the room and attack the baby. Using a mosquito repellent and dressing the little one in long sleeved clothing during the evenings is a good idea to protect your little darling from mosquito bites. Making use of mosquito nets while the little one is sleeping is also a good move. Applying mosquito repellent creams should, however, be done only after consulting with your kid’s doctor
- Vaccinations: You will be pleasantly surprised to discover that there are quite a number of flu vaccines that can be given to your baby to protect him from the monsoon illnesses. Your doctor will be the best person to advise you on this and get the required vaccinations done during this season
- Keep urgent medication at hand: It is always a good idea to stock up some common cold and flu medicines at home that can be given to the little darling in the case of an emergency and the doctor is unavailable. Just consult the doctor and make sure that the dosages are correct before giving the little one these medicines
- Food hygiene: It is imperative that you prepare the little one’s food with utmost hygiene during this season. Ensure that you give him or her only boiled water to drink and even prepare any food that you give them only in boiled water. Make sure that you store the food closed in containers.If you are still breast feeding take care to eat only healthy and home made food during the rainy season as this will help to keep your baby healthy too
- Care against infections : Make sure that you sponge bathe your little one at least once a day and keep a vigilant watch against any kind of fungal or skin infections especially in private parts, neck, under arms and feet or ears. Damp clothing triggers fungal infections, so make sure your baby’s clothes are ironed and keep plenty of extra under garments ready at hand to change whenever necessary as clothes take longer to dry than usual during this season. Changing diapers more frequently during this season is also recommended
- Keep your surroundings and home clean: Keep your house and surroundings clean during this rainy season. Also, take care to see that there is no water stagnating in and around the house in potted plants and tubs as this will trigger breeding of mosquitoes that will bring along various diseases in its wake. Take care to see that all leaks are repaired as dampness also triggers various infections
- Get immediate medical attention: During the monsoon season, it is always better to get immediate medical attention as soon as the little one begins showing signs of an infection like sneezing, cough or has any fever. And it is also recommended to isolate your little one from adults or children having any kind of infections as little babies tend to catch infections very easily during this season
- Trim your baby’s nails regularly: It is important to ensure that the little one’s nails are trimmed on a regular basis at least once a week as they tend to pick anything and everything at this age and put it into the mouth. Any kind of dirt that gets trapped under the nails gives rise to bacteria and thus making your baby prone to various infections
- Washing hands: Ensure that you wash your hands well each time before and after feeding your little one and even before you start preparing the little one’s meal. This will help a long way in averting unwanted infections through various bacteria that lurk around during this season
These are some easy tips that can ensure that you keep your baby safe from contracting any kind of infection and staying safe during this monsoon season. It’s always better to be safe than sorry. So take care of your baby and keep him healthy this monsoon season.
If you have more tips to add to this, do leave them in the comments section below.