Some of the important nutrients which are an absolute must during pregnancy include folic acid, calcium, protein, iodine, and iron. And for this, you need to include a lot of fresh fruits and veggies in your diet. Apricot is one fruit that contains most of the above-mentioned nutrients. And apricot during pregnancy is beyond doubt an excellent addition to your diet.
Your diet is something that needs careful monitoring as this is extremely vital to ensure you deliver a healthy baby. About a couple of apricot kernels would be an ideal addition to your diet during your pregnancy period. And yes, apricots are largely considered to be quite safe.
In This Article
What are Apricots?
Apricots are a part of the Rosaceae family that also includes plums, almonds, cherries, and peaches too. Dried apricots can also be consumed during pregnancy and they make up a great choice to deal with food cravings. Described in detail below are all the facts you ever needed to know about apricots and how safe, they are for consumption while you are pregnant.
However, you need to ensure they are washed carefully to rinse away all the bacteria and harmful parasites which may be lurking in them. This is absolutely necessary to avert diseases that are foodborne like toxoplasmosis and listeriosis.
Is Eating Apricot Safe During Pregnancy?
Yes, eating apricots during pregnancy is completely safe. In fact, eating apricots while pregnant is one of the suggestions to enhance a mother’s iron intake. You can include it in your pregnancy diet and reap numerous health benefits. Eating 1 to 2 kernels per day is safe during pregnancy. However, if eating the fruit raw, it is absolutely essential to thoroughly wash it to remove harmful pesticides and chemicals.
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Apricots During Pregnancy?
Following are some of the top benefits of eating apricots during pregnancy:
- They are rich in minerals, iron, calcium, potassium, silicon, and phosphorus.
- They are rich sources of iron, cobalt, and copper. Thus, apricots help to combat anemia that sometimes triggers drastic consequences during pregnancy.
- Apricots, when eaten along with fresh veggies have excellent content of retinol.
- Apricots, as mentioned above, are packed with iron and are an excellent iron supplement as every pregnant woman needs to consume at least 30mg of iron every day throughout her conception period.
- The flesh of apricots is supposed to be ideal during the pregnancy and lactation period for the mother.
- Apricots which are normally converted to their dried fruit form for consumption are an ideal choice to allay food cravings.
- The great news is that the apricot kernel paste can help to alleviate vaginal infections. You just require applying this paste into your vagina and it is supposed to cure your infection miraculously.
- The bark of the apricot tree is proven to be effective in treating infertility, hemorrhage, and spasms.
Although there is no doubt about the nutritional benefits of apricots, it is vital you ensure they are consumed in moderation during your conception period. Excess consumption of anything for that matter is not wise and there is every chance you may begin experiencing some side effects if it goes overboard.
Benefits Of Dried Apricot During Pregnancy
Dried apricots are much easier to store. The only thing to take care of is never to expose it to direct sunlight. Fresh apricots, on the other hand, should be consumed as early as possible because the skin will wrinkle and the fruit will lose its benefits. Dried apricots have numerous health benefits as well.
Here are some of the advantages of eating apricots while pregnant:
- Consuming dried apricots during pregnancy helps with fetal bone development. Thanks to its high calcium content.
- The potassium level in dried apricots is high. Therefore, it can effectively deal with pregnancy swellings.
- Pregnant women craving sweets can have dried apricots as it is a good source of natural sugar.
- Dried apricots help relieve digestive issues and it can effectively deal with heartburn during pregnancy.
Risks Associated With Eating Apricots During Pregnancy
Following are some of the risks associated with eating apricots during pregnancy:
- Excessive consumption of Apricots may trigger severe discomforts during pregnancy as it can affect your nervous system.
- Consumption of an apricot that is not ripe enough can cause stomach upset and uneasiness during this period.
- Apricots contain traces of sulfur dioxide that can potentially trigger allergies. If you happen to be sensitive to any kind of sulfites, it is better to steer clear of apricots totally.
- The tip of apricots has chemical laetrile in concentrated quantities which have all chances of totally upsetting your entire system. So ensure you get rid of the tips of apricots while eating them to avoid any such issues which can crop up.
- Overconsumption of apricots can cause dizziness and there are chances of experiencing giddiness and even headaches in some cases. So it is imperative you limit your consumption to less than five a day.
- They are quite bitter to taste and you may not even like their taste during the pregnancy period.
- This fruit has high traces of amygdalin. It is a sort of toxin discharged from glycoside amygdalin during digestion. It can trigger symptoms like muscle cramps, respiratory discomfort and even vomiting at times.
- Rare cases of respiratory paralysis may happen due to excess consumption of apricots.
How To Consume Apricots While Pregnant?
Apricot is one of the world’s healthiest fruits. Pregnant women, like other tasty fruits, can eat it in a number of ways. However, remember to wash and de-seed the fruit before using it.
- Soak some apricots and figs and blend them with milk and ice cubes to make a healthy smoothie. This is one of the healthy ways to curb hunger during pregnancy.
- Chop apricots and add them to your morning cereal, giving it a healthy twist.
- Blending some apricot with yogurt makes an excellent dip.
- Blend apricot with some butter to make a nutritious bread spread.
Key Points To Remember While Eating Apricots During Pregnancy
It is beneficial to consume apricots during pregnancy. 100 grams of fresh apricots provide 12% of vitamin A, 12% of vitamin C, and 6% of potassium. That too within 50 calories. However, before incorporating it into your pregnancy diet, keep the following points in mind:
- Never eat apricot on an empty stomach.
- Eat apricots along with your breakfast. Eating apricot as a mid-morning snack or evening snack is also beneficial.
- Never exceed the moderation limits (1-2 kernels), when it comes to consuming apricot during pregnancy. Excessive consumption of apricot can lead to unwanted side effects.
- It is safer to eat the ripe apricot during pregnancy rather than the unripe ones. Unripe apricots can create gastric issues during pregnancy.
- It is always better to ask your doctor before adding apricots to your diet.
To sum up, there is no argument about the fact, apricots have excellent medicinal value. And, you can consume it safely while you are pregnant as long as not exceed the limits. It would anyhow be a good idea to ask your doctor about eating them before you include them in your pregnancy diet so that you do not encounter any unpleasant experiences due to their consumption.
1. Can I Develop Allergy Towards Apricots While Pregnant?
Yes, you can. Your system is more sensitive than other times. Apricots are also known for triggering allergies.
2. Fresh or Dried Apricots When Pregnant?
The dried variety has higher content of minerals and fiber. They are richer in anti-oxidants as well. However, the dried variety is sweeter than the fresh variety.
3. Can I Eat a Piece of Dried Apricot Every Day When I am Pregnant?
Yes, you can after checking with your doctor. If you at a risk of gestational diabetes, this may do you more harm than good. These are high in calories too.
4. Can Eating Dried Apricots During Pregnancy Affect my Teeth?
Pregnancy can trigger many dental issues. Dried apricots can stick to your teeth and requires proper cleaning. If stuck for long, they can cause your tooth to decay.