After a woman gives birth to her baby, her system goes through a whole lot of physical changes. Most women experience all kinds of joint and nerve pains particularly in the hips and lower back. This is caused due to the abdominal muscles being stretched and it does take quite some time to return to normalcy after birth. Abdominal belts are the perfect solution to the problems that women face after delivery as they help to provide the much required support to a woman’s torso giving a much needed visible relief from aches and pains.
- What Are The Different Types of Abdominal Belts?
- How Is An Abdominal Belt Worn?
- Are Abdominal Belts Really Effective And Useful?
- Do Abdominal Belts Help To Lose Weight After Delivery?
- Precautions To Be When Using Abdominal Belts
- What Are The Risks Associated With Wearing Stomach Belts After Delivery?
What Are The Different Types of Abdominal Belts?
Now-a-days you find a whole range of post pregnancy abdominal belts that can be availed in the market. They come in all sizes and styles for you to take your pick from. Most of them have Velcro snaps that can be adjusted easily and are easy to adorn and remove. You can avail of belts that wrap your entire hips and torso or just your abdomen. You just need to choose what is best for your condition and something that you feel comfortable wearing.
How Is An Abdominal Belt Worn?
This belt as mentioned above is made of stretchy material that is very taut and is normally wrapped firmly over your entire middle right from the lower portion of your rib cage to the lowest part of your tummy. Most belts come with either Velcro fastenings or loop and hoop closures. Make sure the topmost portion of the belt is positioned on your waistline while the lower part is placed just under your hip area. All you need to do is wrap the belt tightly over your stomach portion and adjust it according to your comfort level. They can be worn throughout the day and even night if you desire. It would be ideal if your measure the area around the smallest part of your waist area and buy an appropriate measurement belt. You need to keep adjusting the belt more tightly according to your weight loss.
Are Abdominal Belts Really Effective And Useful?
Abdominal belts have been proven to be a real boon for mothers. The benefits of abdominal belts can be summarized as below:
- They are ideal to provide relief from back pain as they help to relieve the severe stress your back is experiencing
- They offer excellent stability to the muscles of the pelvic region
- They also are good for mothers recovering from a C section as they offer good support to the incised area
- The abdominal walls also receive additional support that ensures that the internal organs are well protected
- Helps to tone up the stomach muscles
Do Abdominal Belts Help To Lose Weight After Delivery?
As a new mom, you will be surprised with your jelly-belly tummy that still makes you look pregnant. Your body has spent months in nurturing the baby to grow and these months have made changes to your body as a whole. It will be some time before your body, and your tummy recovers from pregnancy. To get a flat tummy, maternity belts, cloth tied around the waist, and belly bands have been used since ages. When you do bind your tummy with any of these, you are providing support to your abdominal muscles and organs, which have undergone major changes during pregnancy and delivery. Binding the tummy is believed to prevent the tummy skin from falling down.
Women all over the world believe that wearing an abdominal belt does help you to shed those extra kilos that have gathered round your tummy during your pregnancy period. And it is true to an extent that these belts do help to speed up the flattening of your tummy area if worn regularly. So it is indeed an excellent idea to purchase a belt that fits you perfectly and will help your to shed those unwanted fat that is making your tummy bulge out.
Precautions To Be When Using Abdominal Belts
- Ensure you do not wrap this belt too very tight as this can plant severe pressure on the ribcage, core and pelvic area, canceling out all the positive effects that this belt can provide you with
- One needs to make sure the belt is wrapped top down and not bottom up. Wrapping the other way round has every chance you’re your pelvic organs getting stressed instead of helping them to get relief from the pressure
- Along with usage of this abdominal belt, you also need to pay attention to the rehab exercises if you want maximum results from the adorning this belt and shedding flab
- Ensure you can breathe comfortably while wearing the belt and even sit, squat and move comfortably while using the belt
What Are The Risks Associated With Wearing Stomach Belts After Delivery?
Although these belts are really useful after delivery, there are indeed some risks associated with wearing these belts. These include-
- There are chances of developing hernia as the tummy is pressurized excessively
- Rashes and severe itching around the area where the belt sinks into your skin
- If severe pressure is exerted on the uterus, it may result in bleeding
- Uncomfortable feeling especially if the climate is humid and hot
The best course would be to consult your doctor before beginning to use these abdominal maternity belts so that you are safe following his advice. Your doctor will be the best person to know when exactly you can start using this belt after delivery and what kind of belt would be ideal for you not only to lose weight but also improve your posture and reduce your back pain. Go ahead and get the best possible abdominal belt that is surely a good idea to help you get rid of that belly flab and get back to your original form.