Description- A home pregnancy test kit is the most relaxed approach to take on an early pregnancy test. Here are some of the pregnancy test kits that are private and comfortable to try it at home. There are several other brands available in the market, but according to us, these are some of the common and most trusted pregnancy test kit available in your supermarket.
What’s more beautiful than nurturing the child inside you? The happiness you get knowing you are pregnant is by far the best feeling in the lifetime. Earlier it used to be a big task to tell whether a woman is pregnant or not, but now, the pregnancy test at home can help you confirm without any botheration. Let’s know how this works?
The formation of an egg by sperm clears path for the development of a baby and confirms pregnancy. The detection of early pregnancy should be possible by blood and urine- the two basics for main types of tests for pregnancy. If you think that you might be pregnant, the best way is to opt for a pregnancy test kit, as these pregnancy tests are an easy way to know the result in just a few minutes. So let’s learn from the start how this home pregnancy test kit works!
What Is A Pregnancy Test Kit
How do kits work at home
Types of different Pregnancy Test Kits
Why should you pick home pregnancy test kits
Top 6 pregnancy kits in India
How to Use a Pregnancy Test Kit
When to use the pregnancy test kit
Do Pregnancy Test Kits Give Accurate Results
What Is A Pregnancy Test Kit?
A home pregnancy test kit is the most relaxed approach to take on an early pregnancy test. It is a natural, private, reasonable, and easily accessible way to anticipate your pregnancy. Just two-pink lines on the stick can detect your pregnancy and provide you with immense happiness. It is readily available at most chemists and departmental stores across the country and does not require a medical prescription to purchase it.
How do kits work at home?
Firstly to reach this phase of a pregnancy test, a woman has to go through two more steps- unprotected sex and missed periods. So basically, the human chorionic gonadotrophins (hCG) hormone found in a pregnant woman’s urine helps in the detection of pregnancy. As soon as the fertilized egg gets implanted in the womb, the hCG is produced by cells that form the placenta of the baby in due course. hCG can be found in the mother’s urine from around 6 to 14 days post-treatment, and it pairs every 2-3 days in the initial days of pregnancy. The best time to take a pregnancy test is early morning, noon, or at night because that’s when the urine has the most concentration of the hCG. The vital thing you should know is the need to ensure that your urine touches the stick directly and take measures to make it happen. This is the only way any brand of pregnancy kit would work. In case of a healthy pregnancy, the hCG levels are at their maximum in weeks 8 to 11 and drop lower in weeks 12 and 16. Its checks for the presence of the pregnancy hormone that is the hCG in the urine and gives the result. It generally takes 5 minutes to convert into coloured lines; the appearance of two lines indicates the presence of hCG in urine, thus confirming your pregnancy.
Types of different Pregnancy Test Kits:
As mentioned earlier, the hCG level in the urine detects whether you are pregnant or not. The pregnancy test kits at home are of two types:
- Strip pregnancy test: it is the most common and the most straightforward pregnancy test kit available in the market. You can hold the strip or a dipstick provided in a stream of urine. On detection of hCG, one end of the strip will change the colour indicating you are pregnant
- Cup test kit: In this sort of pregnancy test packs, alongside the test gadget, a pee accumulation cup or a container is given. You are advised to gather your urine in the given compartment and afterwards dip the stick to know the result. The presentation of two lines implies you are pregnant and one when the pregnancy test is negative.
Why should you pick home pregnancy test kits?
There are several reasons why you should choose pregnancy test kits. Here are some of the reasons:
- It is more private, apart from any feeling you carry, you must get your space and time to absorb that feeling.
- It saves you from stress and tiredness of regular visiting doctors and running through several other pregnancy-related tests. It’s better getting the result and move to certified doctors for paternal guidance
- If you are the one who is not ready for the family, these pregnancy kits can help to know the results as early as two weeks, so the process of termination is safe and straightforward.
Top 6 pregnancy kits in India
Below are mentioned several pregnancy test kits that you can use at home.
1. Prega news pregnancy test kit
One of the most common and most trustable hCG pregnancy kits at home in India is the Mankind Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Prega news pregnancy test kit. The package comes with a single-use chemical test strip and a dropper. You need to dispense 2-3 drops of your sample urine, and within 5 minutes, you’ll get to know the results. Prega News pregnancy test kit is safe to use and do not interfere in your body functionaries
- Prega News pregnancy test kit can detect pregnancy even when the hCG level is as low as 20mlU/l
- The MRP of the Prega news test kit is Rs. Fifty for one strip and is also available in packs of two and four too.
2. Velocit Pregnancy Kit
From Dr Reddy’s lab, the Velocit pregnancy test kit is India’s most reputed and advances pregnancy kit available in the market. Within 3 minutes after the test gets full results with 99% accuracy. The best thing about Velocit Pregnancy Kit is, it comes with a dropper, short note with instruction, a test card, which allows you to get the news by yourself and a desiccant that helps in avoiding the moisture and protect the kit at any cost.
- The Velocit pregnancy test is clinically tested to detect up-to 25mlU/ml of hCG
- The MRP of the Velocit pregnancy kit is Rs. 98 and is used once only.
3. Clear View hCG Pregnancy Test Kit
The manufacturer claims 99 % of accuracy and reliability and identifies the pregnancy result one day after the expected date within as less as 3 minutes. It is not mandatory to keep the kit in the cold temperature; it can be stored at room temperature. The Clear View hCG Pregnancy Test Kit can be used several times and claims to detect hCG levels even four days before your cycles are due. The device is advised to hold upright in all cases.
- Clear view hCG pregnancy kit is clinically tested to detect hCG levels as low as 25 ml/L
- The MRP of the Clear View hCG Pregnancy Test Kit is between 150 to 160 INR
4. I-Can Pregnancy Test Kit
I-Can Pregnancy Test Kit is the most advertised and widely marketed all over the media, making it a famous brand with women. In the year 2011, the I-can pregnancy test kit comes with a package containing the kit and the dropper. You need three drops of urine in the equipment provided, which displays S. It takes a minimum of 1-5 minutes and can be used on the first day of the missed period and needs to be performed with the first urine of the day. The test result is based upon the pink or purple colour band near the control and analyses the positive or negative pregnancy results.
- The MRP of I- can pregnancy test kit is priced at RS. 50 for a pack one and is also available in the package.
5. Acutest by Cadila
This pregnancy test is easily affordable and accessible in all markets and considered to be one of the top pregnancy kits in India. This cassette like structure is a onetime use pregnancy kit. You need to collect the early morning urine in the clean urine container, and with the help of a dropper, you can add a few drops of urine in the card window. The result is shown in 2-3 minutes, follow up the lines as a single line depicts the absence of hCG in the sample urine, and two lines represent the opposite, which means you are pregnant.
- The MRP of the Acutest pregnancy kit is Rs. 40, which is an affordable way to check your pregnancy.
6. Clearblue Rapid detection pregnancy test
If you think that you are pregnant, you can get to the answer just in a minute by Clearblue’s rapid detection pregnancy test. The rectangular, colour changing tip on this manual test makes it simple to use (it’ll go from pink to white when used accurately), also the unique “flood guard” feature present helps in preventing all your errors. The Clearblue Rapid detection pregnancy test can be used up to 5 days before your missed period.
Things to keep in mind while using any of the Pregnancy Detection Kit
Some of them are advised to keep in cold temperature, and some are fine to be held in the average room temperature. (Read thoroughly the instruction provided by the product)
- If you are so sure that you are pregnant, then give the pregnancy test kit another chance and try the next day.
- Try avoiding excess consumption of fluids that interfere with hCG concentrations in blood and urine.
- You can use the dropper to add 2-3 drops of urine (advised by the product) on the rectangle window and wait for the results.
- The single band means the negative outcome, and two bands reveal the positive pregnancy results.
- The appearance of only one distinct colour band (pink/purple) in the control region (C) implies that the test is negative, and the appearance of two colour bands means the test is positive.
- Sometimes there is a possibility of no band appearance; it means that your hCG level is too low and you should repeat the test after 4-5 days
- Do not use a cup or a container that has been washed with detergents. This could interfere with the results.
How to Use a Pregnancy Test Kit?
All the home pregnancy kits we have mentioned come in easy to use packs, but are advised to read the instructions properly before using it. The urine pregnancy tests require a urine sample, which can be done by holding the stick in front of the urine stream while peeing. You need to ensure that your urine touches the stick directly. In some cases, a cup or any dropper is provided to make your work easier. Home pregnancy tests work the best if done in the morning and are recommended to be your first pee. Pregnancy test kits at home are easy to use, convenient, accurate, and inexpensive, which makes them a popular choice among the women folk worldwide.
When to use the pregnancy test kit?
You can use pregnancy tests at home in many scenarios:
- If you are planning to have a child and trying for it
- If you had unprotected sex due to any reason
- If you are the victim of 1% non-guarantee system and is left with anxiety and stress-related to pregnancy
This is the time when this easy, affordable, and available over every counter pregnancy test kits come in handy. The best thing is you don’t need a doctor’s prescription to buy it and is not even expensive. The hCG can be detected in 5 to 12 days soon after the egg gets attached to your uterus. It is advised to do the test in the morning because your hormones are at the maximum level during that period. also if you had unprotected sex or missed your period or even a victim of nausea, fatigue, tender breasts, give the pregnancy kit a try and get over with the stress and anxiety you are going through
Do Pregnancy Test Kits Give Accurate Results?
This question is the prime question every woman goes through, but the truth is- most pregnancy test kits claim to be 99% efficient, though some are not as sensitive to hCG as others. Most women would do anything to get the most sensitive pregnancy test kit and know whether they are pregnant or not as soon as possible.
The accuracy depends on:
- The level of hCG in urine
- How accurately you have followed the instruction mentioned in the kit
- If the level of hCG in the urine is anything above 5mIU/mL, pregnancy is likely to have taken place.
- However, most home pregnancy test kits detect hCG levels at 20 to 25 MIU/ml. hCG levels double in about 48 to 72 hours, and hence the accuracy of home pregnancy test kits may be questionable on the first day of the missed period.
- The lower the number on the home pregnancy test kit, the higher the sensitivity to hCG, and hence, the more accurate the results. However, ensure that the pregnancy test had not expired before you use it to detect pregnancy.
Common questions that might occur in your mind:
1. I See A Faint Line On My Pregnancy Test Kit, Am I Pregnant?
Don’t worry! It’s normal to see a dull second line in a home pregnancy test. It can mean that you are early into your pregnancy, and the hCG levels are quite low. Similarly, you might see a darker line if your pregnancy has progressed. The best thing to do in such a case is to retake a pregnancy test in a few days.
2. What If There Are No Lines Visible At All On The Pregnancy Test?
If there are no lines that appear on the pregnancy test strip, which is quite a rare, disregard the test as it can be defective, or you might not have peed enough or accurate on the strip. This can happen if the strip was not appropriately held in the urine stream. This is why it is strongly recommended to follow the instructions on the pregnancy test kit.
3. Is It True That It’s Best To Do A Pregnancy Test In The Morning?
Yes, it is considered best to do a home pregnancy test early in the morning, preferably with the first pee of the day. This is because the urine is much more concentrated after the night than it is during the day when you have eaten and consumed other liquids. Since all pregnancy tests work on detecting the level of hCG in the urine, and early pregnancy, the levels are not so high, testing early in the morning can give you many accurate results than a night or other times of the day. The levels of hCG may not be enough to be detected as the day wears off if you are testing early. As your pregnancy progresses, a pregnancy test kit will be able to detect the presence of hCG easily. It is commonly believed that the first urine of the day is the best to take the pregnancy test with, but if you wait a few days after your period is due, you are likely to get an accurate result any time of the day.
4. Can I Make A Pregnancy Test Kit At Home?
If you are expecting a pregnancy, anxiety, and excitement will rule your mind, making you eager to test before time. In case you do not wish to spend money on a pregnancy test kit, you can easily make your homemade pregnancy test to determine your pregnancy. Unlike the expensive medical ways to ascertain a pregnancy by detecting the level of hCG in the urine, DIY pregnancy tests work at no cost. Not only the results are instant and entirely accurate, but DIY pregnancy tests can also be made using ingredients readily available at home.
In any case, homemade DIY pregnancy tests are not 100% exact. As of now clarified, the exactness relies upon the hCG levels in the urine. Custom made pregnancy tests have a few downsides which ruin the precision of the outcome.
- An opportunity to complete the test can change.
- The substance response that realizes the outcome may shift contingent upon the fixing amount and quality
- There is no planned extent of fixings to urine.
5. What Is A ‘False Positive Pregnancy Test’?
- As we have said previously, most home pregnancy tests convey an exact estimation of 99%. However, you would have known about pregnancies, where, in the test outcome turned out positive when a lady isn’t pregnant. There can be a few explanations for it:
- Improper testing – Conducting the test without perusing and following the headings on the home pregnancy test pack.
- Hurrying up – Interpreting test results before the demonstrated time. If it says to hang tight for 3 minutes, pause and don’t surge.
- Medication – Medications, for example, phenothiazine can adjust the test outcome and present inaccurate outcomes.
- Expired pack – Using terminated or flawed home pregnancy tests. Hence, consistently guarantee that you check the make, date, and the bundling of the pack you buy. Keep in mind, much after extreme quality control checks, every so often, an inadequate piece can run somebody’s direction.
- Undergoing treatment – Women who are experiencing hCG treatment or other ripeness medicines may likewise confront the issue of getting erroneous outcomes from the home pregnancy test.
- Early premature delivery – Sometimes, unnatural birth cycles happen too soon, not long after the prepared egg appends itself to the uterine divider.