The hormonal change plays a vital role during the pregnancy phase. Sometimes one gets mood swings, while at other time one starts to feel lethargic. The overall requirement for the developing baby keeps increasing so it should be fulfilled by enzymes, vitamins, minerals, fats, proteins and lipids. A Well balanced diet is extremely essential during pregnancy. Due to the baby, the mother-to-be even feels like snacking more, and the ideal option to fulfil that is a good and low in calorie cereal. It is important to see that the required amount of nutrition is given to the baby. In case one gets a proper diet, the pregnancy has fewer complications, its safe as well as a smooth one.
Cornflakes as a cereal is a fulfilling meal at other times, but one has to figure out if its feasible to be consumed during pregnancy. But let us study below and see how safe it is, the benefits, negative, effects, tips to keep in mind while preparing cornflakes during pregnancy.
- What Is Corn Flakes?
- What Is The Nutritional Value Of Cornflakes?
- Why Eat Corn Flakes During Pregnancy?
- What Are The Benefits Of Eating Cornflakes In Pregnancy?
- What Are The Unfavourable Effects Of Eating Corn Flakes When Pregnant?
- Does Eating Cornflakes By Expecting Mother Linked With Spina Bifida In Babies?
- Are There Any Healthy Alternatives For Cornflakes During Pregnancy?
- Tips To Keep In Mind While Eating Corn Flakes During Pregnancy
What Is Corn Flakes?
Cornflakes is a breakfast cereal that is prepared by the toasting the flakes of corn and it is low in calorie yet fulfilling meal. Fruits and nuts can even be added to it to make it more delicious and a heavy one. They are available in a package product Corn flakes are a packaged cereal product that can be prepared with milk and sugar. They can be found in plain form, or flavoured with salt, malt, sugar frosted, almond flavoured, strawberry, banana, mango, honey etc.
What Is The Nutritional Value Of Cornflakes?
Corn flakes are fat free and cholesterol free. Some brands are fortified with minerals and vitamins. Thus the nutritional value varies with brands.
However, one Cup (25 gms) of cornflakes basically contains,
Why Eat Corn Flakes During Pregnancy?
Cereals offer lots of benefits. Therefore, when many expecting mothers think of a healthy breakfast cereal they often opt for cornflakes and milk.
- Pregnancy hormones play topsy-turvy but consuming corn flakes keeps one fresh during the day as they are rich in carbohydrate content and even offer energy.
- They are also enriched with iron, fibre, niacin, riboflavin and thiamine that make it a sumptuous meal.
- As expecting mother prefer to eat cornflakes blended in milk and fruits, it will be more beneficial during pregnancy.
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Cornflakes In Pregnancy?
- These are enriched with fibre, which is extremely good for a pregnant lady as it helps in regulating the blood pressure and help with constipation issues.
- If one bowl of cornflakes is consumed, it helps in the reduction of preeclampsia, which gets aggravated by high blood pressure and could be dangerous for the developing baby.
- Consumption of a bowl of cornflakes the first thing in the morning, fills the stomach and helps in satiating the hunger as well.
- Consumption of corn flakes helps to keep weight under control during the pregnancy phase.
- Due to the rich fibre content, it can help in avoiding the condition of haemorrhoids.
- It is also enriched with folic acid, which helps in the reduction of the risk of any birth deformities.
What Are The Unfavourable Effects Of Eating Corn Flakes When Pregnant?
- Having corn flakes in excess can be troublesome as the ones that are available commercially are rich in fat, salt and sugar content and are not too healthy.
- Having an excess cornflakes could lead to bloating, intestinal issues, abdominal pain and gastric issues.
- The body’s capacity to absorb minerals iron and zinc eventually decrease if corn flakes are consumed in excess.
- Having corn flakes with grains can lead to acidity.
- It is difficult to eat grains present in cornflakes if compared to fruits, sprouts or vegetables.
- If you are experiencing irritable bowel syndrome, too much of consumption of cornflakes will aggravate it.
Does Eating Cornflakes By Expecting Mother Linked With Spina Bifida In Babies?
As per new research, expecting mother who eat sugary or highly processed food such as cornflakes twofold the risk of neural tube defects in unborn babies.
High blood sugar is linked with foetal abnormality. Cornflakes is high in sugar. Therefore, it increases the level of insulin in mother’s body. High levels of insulin are linked with birth defects.
Are There Any Healthy Alternatives For Cornflakes During Pregnancy?
You can have wheat flakes, rice flakes, and fortified cereals as an healthy alternative for cornflakes. Add some protein (like nuts) to your cereals. this will help to reduce the surge of blood sugar level. You can also add fruits like berries, apples or bananas.
Tips To Keep In Mind While Eating Corn Flakes During Pregnancy
- In case you relish having corn flakes for the first meal in the day, have it in moderation.
- Always check the cornflakes being consumed, try and avoid the ones that comprise of artificial flavoured corns or sweeteners.
- Always make sure there is a great way to go for the expiry date.
- In case you wish to add sweetness to the cornflakes, it is best to add honey or strawberries for an altered taste.
- Always consult a nutritionist prior to changing the diet.
- It is even advisable to inform your nutritionist about the cravings and food habits as well.
- It is best to prepare cornflakes with warm milk or else it becomes too dry in order to prevent nausea.
- It is good to have corn flakes only for breakfast if you had it the same way before pregnancy and not with or during other meal times.
Therefore, the consumption of cornflakes is highly beneficial and does no harm if taken in moderate quantities. Ideally, the consumption of cornflakes will do you no harm in pregnancy if you eat it in moderation. It is recommended by medical experts that a pregnant lady should be able to take at least six small meals in order to keep the energy levels intact as well as blood sugar stable Cornflakes is a healthy option but it is advisable to follow the tips and look for any adverse effects so that it can be treated in time as pregnancy is a phase where one needs to be very careful.