Indian spices are best known for their great nutritive values and medicinal uses. Spices like cloves, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, asafetida, and many more are used from ages to treat various diseases. Out of this cinnamon (also known as dalchini in common language) is a well-known spice. It has various health benefits, including boosting fertility.
Infertility is becoming an issue worldwide. Some of the symptoms of infertility can be:
- Multiple miscarriages
- Painful or irregular periods
- Low sperm count
There can be a plethora of causes of such problems such as:
- Hormonal disorders
- Damaged fallopian tubes
- Excessive intake of tobacco and alcohol
- Overweight or underweight
So, let’s have a look at how cinnamon can be helpful in boosting fertility and overcoming infertility in detail. We will also come to know the various tips to boost fertility using cinnamon.
How Does Cinnamon Boost Fertility?
To enhance fertility in both men and women, cinnamon plays a key role by its natural properties that boost the fertilization process to occur. Given below are some effects of cinnamon in boosting the fertility:
1. Effects in men:
Low sperm count is the major cause of infertility in men. Cinnamon is known as hot foods that provide warmth to the body. Cinnamon increases the sperm count in men by improving the blood flow in the pelvis due to the warm effect of cinnamon in the body.
2. Effects in women:
As explained above, there are various causes of infertility in women. PCOS, insulin resistance, Overweight, Irregular menstruation, heavy bleeding, and endometriosis are some of them:
- Effect Of Cinnamon On PCOS: PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome), a hormonal issue that results in the formation of cysts in ovaries, is one of the most common causes of infertility. Intake of cinnamon with lemon is found to ease the ill effects of PCOS in pregnancy. Cinnamon also helps to bring down the inflammation and irritation in ovaries due to cysts.
- Effect Of Cinnamon On Irregular Menstruation: and irregular menstruation (periods). Cinnamon affects fertility in women by giving a kick start to metabolism and regulates normal menstruation flow. The cinnamon intake is found to double the menstrual cycle, thereby increases the chances of getting pregnant.
- Effects Of Cinnamon On Weight Loss: An increase in metabolism causes improved weight loss.
- Effects of Cinnamon On Insulin Resistance: High blood sugar brings down the chances of a successful pregnancy. This is because ovulation and blood sugar levels are interconnected. Cinnamon improves insulin resistance, thereby, helps to manage blood glucose levels in childbearing-aged women.
- Effects Of Cinnamon In Heavy Bleeding: Cinnamon has been found to be very useful for women experiencing heavy menstrual bleeding associated with endometriosis and uterine fibroids.
How To Use Cinnamon For Fertility?
There are a large number of ways to include cinnamon in your daily diet. Some of the ways are given below:
- Add to Tea: Love having tea? You can add cinnamon powder or a cinnamon stick into your regular cup of tea.
- With Vegetables: You can add the cinnamon powder to your daily vegetables by using it as an ingredient while cooking.
- In Water: You can consume it early morning by boiling a stick of cinnamon in one glass of water. You can add honey and lemon for taste. Add a small piece of cinnamon in your regular water bottle. Consume that water instead of your regular drinking water.
- Cinnamon Ice-cream: You can also go for a cinnamon ice-cream to give yourself a tasty treat in a while. Also, adding cinnamons to milk will double the result, as milk also help to enhance fertility.
Recommended Daily Dosage Of Cinnamon Supplements:
Everything is beneficial if you take it in a normal amount. It is important to note that excess intake of anything could be harmful. So, it is advisable to consume cinnamon in the given following amounts for better results in PCOS and type 2 diabetes patients:
- 2 to 3 grams of cinnamon powder on a daily basis, preferably with honey.
- 2 to 4 ml of cinnamon tincture on a daily basis is advisable to take along with water
How Long Should You Take Cinnamon For Positive Results?
Various studies prove that cinnamon is a very beneficial spice for the human body. If you want to have some positive results, you need to have some patience. You should at least take 1500 milligrams of cinnamon powder daily for six months to treat infertility.
It can be taken along with milk that is also known for its great benefits in the case of infertility. For better weight loss, it could be taken along with honey and lemon that is proven weight loss aid.
Tips And Precautions
To make the best use of cinnamon for high fertility and have effective results, here are some precautions and tips you should keep in mind:
- Cinnamon has mild effects in the blood-thinning process. So it is recommended not to take it along with any blood-thinning medicines.
- Spices are not recommended either in oral or peptic ulcers. So avoid cinnamon in such medical conditions.
- It is advised to avoid intake of any kind of supplements during pregnancy and lactation. Even though if they are cinnamon supplements.
- Do not take cinnamon with any kind of mint candies or gums. It can be dangerous and cause oral ulcers and inflammation in the throat and mouth.
- Do not forget to ask your doctor first to use cinnamon in the case of diabetes and PCOS.
- Moderation is the key. Do not take high doses of cinnamon. It could harm your digestive tract by causing inflammation or damaging digestive tract mucosal lining.
- Species of cinnamon-like cassia or Chinese cinnamon have a bad effect on the body if taken for a long interval of time. It causes the formation of blood clots and damages the kidney and liver.
- Ceylon cinnamon is the best-known cinnamon species to boost fertility in both men and women
How Safe Is Cinnamon While Trying To Get Conceive?
The safety of consuming cinnamon depends on how you are consuming it. Consuming it as food or as an ingredient is absolutely be safe while trying to conceive. On the other hand, using it as a herbal extract in the second half of your cycle can be problematic when you are trying to conceive.
As you have known, cinnamon is very effective in boosting fertility. Other than that, it has various benefits, including aiding weight loss, boosting immunity, prevents heart diseases, treats diabetes, and many more. It can be included in the daily diet to gain such benefits. Moreover, it is great in taste and adds to the nutritive value in food. But don’t forget moderation. There are very few cases of harm caused due to the extra dosage of cinnamon, but prevention should be taken.