Six month is the time to start solid food for your baby. Puree is the first semi solid food of baby. Puree can be made from fruits and vegetables. Find everything about Babby’s First Food Apple puree (4-6 Months)
- Apples And Your Baby
- When Can I Introduce Apples To My Baby?
- Apple Puree Recipe (4-6 Months)
- Tips For Storing Apple Puree
- Precautions While Preparing Apple Puree
Apples And Your Baby
The very old Welsh proverb “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” holds true till today. Apples have often been dubbed as ‘miracle’ or ‘wonder’ fruits and can very well be your baby’s first food. Apples are quite rich in both insoluble and soluble fiber, and thus help in maintaining regular bowel movements. This fruit make a great way to avoid constipation and diarrhea, and promote good health in babies and adults alike. Apples are also extremely rich in antioxidants, flavonoids and Vitamins A, C and E. The fruit also has considerable amounts of potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium, along with traces of iron, manganese and zinc.
When Can I Introduce Apples To My Baby?
Being rich in vitamins and minerals, apples are apt to be your baby’s first food, when you introduce solids. It may well be noted that breastfeeding is largely recommended for the first 6 months of your baby’s life, and apples can be introduced to your baby in the 6th month itself (or earlier in the 4th month after your baby sprouts teeth). Being versatile in nature, they are easy to prepare and gentle on your baby’s digestive system. Apples can also be added to many baby food recipes and be enjoyed for their taste and nutritional benefits. Easy to prepare and digest, apple puree is a perfect way to introduce solids to your baby. Here is an easy apple puree recipe for your baby.
Apple Puree Recipe (4-6 Months)
Recipe Type: Baby food Category puree Age: 4-6 months Cook Time: 20 Minutes Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Directions For Preparing Apple Puree/Applesauce For Babies
- Wash and peel the apples, cutting out slices and removing the seeds
- Take a pressure cooker or a bigger container and place a smaller one inside it with the slices of the apples
- Boil/pressure cook for 15-20 minutes
- Check the consistency of the apple slices, they should be tender
- Remove the smaller bowl with apples and let it cool till you can handle it
- Place the tender apple slices in a sterilized bowl and mash them with a spoon or a potato masher
- If you want a chunky consistency, and this should be it. For getting a smoother consistency, add some water to the apple slices and run in a blender, until smooth
- Do not add too much water else the puree will become runny and thin
- Always use sterilized bowls and spoons to feed your baby
- You can store any leftover apple puree in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 3 days
Additional comments: You may choose to just core the apples and steam cook them and peel them after removing from the steam. The peels will come off easily. Do not give your baby the peel until the baby is little older to handle it. Instead of water, you may choose to add formula or milk to the puree
Do consult your pediatrician if your baby has any food allergies and always follow the 3 day wait rule for introducing new foods to the baby
Tips For Storing Apple Puree
Making too little of apple puree everyday may not be feasible and so the next question is how to store apple puree so that it remain fresh and safe for a few days. Do not worry as here are some wonderful tips to ensure your apple puree remains fresh for your baby even after a few days.
- Preserve the apple puree after it is cooled completely into an airtight box or container
- Then refrigerate the same. This can be used for three days without any worry
- Apple puree can also be poured into ice trays and left to freeze completely
- This remains absolutely fresh up to thirty days
- However, these trays need to stored in freezer bags
Precautions While Preparing Apple Puree
- Never preserve puree that is left over after your baby has eaten
- Do not force your little one with apple puree. Just leave it and try again the next day till your little one develops a taste for the same
- Make sure you use hygienic containers and wash the apples thoroughly before you make the puree as everything needs to be extremely clean and hygienic for your little one
Apple puree is thus one of the best options when you think about introducing solids to your little baby and the above mentioned tips are sure to help you make perfect apple puree that your little one is going to enjoy eating.
Also find out: