There is no dearth of healthy options that are available for a pregnant woman. It comprises of fruits, vegetables, milk, pulses, etc. All this is mandatory for the mother as well as the unborn baby. An expecting mother has several healthy choices when it comes to food. We all know that fresh fruits, vegetables, milk, and milk products are the essential part of the pregnancy diet. Fruits are very important to be consumed however jujubes is one which is in the circle of skepticism.
Let us study if it’s the same as dates, the nutritional intake, health benefits, side-effects, the was to consume, selection, storage, dosage, and few recipes as well.
- Is Jujube Same As Dates?
- Nutritional Facts Of Jujube Fruit
- Is Jujube Safe During Pregnancy?
- Health Benefits of Eating Ber Fruit During Pregnancy
- Are There Any Side Effects of Eating Excessive Jujube Fruit While Pregnant?
- How To Consume Jujube Fruit While Pregnant?
- How Much Jujubes To Consume While Pregnant?
- Who Cannot Eat Jujube fruit During Pregnancy?
- How To Select and Store Jujube Fruit?
- Two Recipes Of Jujube Fruit For The Expecting Mother
Is Jujube Same As Dates?
Jujube fruit is a small and yummy fruit that is also referred to as red dates, Chinese dates, or Indian dates and it is nutrient loaded specifically vitamin c and other minerals as well as vitamins. The unripe fruit is green in color. However, as it ripens, it turns yellow-green with mahogany-colored spots on the skin. The fully grown Jujube is red in color (Hence the name red dates). Soon after becoming fully red, Jujube starts to crumble and become softer.
Nutritional Facts Of Jujube Fruit
Jujubes are packed with energy, minerals, and essential vitamins. It is an excellent source of fats, carbohydrates, niacin, sodium, zinc, potassium, magnesium, iron and calcium. it is loaded with Vitamin C, one of the powerful water-soluble antioxidants.
Is Jujube Safe During Pregnancy?
If taken in moderation Jujube is safe to consume during pregnancy. Also, there is n number of reasons to snack this fruit, which has zero cholesterol, when you are hit by hunger pangs at odd hours during pregnancy.
Health Benefits of Eating Ber Fruit During Pregnancy
Having jujubes during pregnancy can offer ample of benefits for the expectant mother as well as the baby. Some health benefits are as under:
- Enhance Foetal Brain Development: Jujube is an excellent source of folate. Therefore jujubes are beneficial in promoting the growth of the fetus’ nervous system. Red jujube contains trace elements zinc, which is significant for the fetal brain development.
- Combats Mood Swings: Eating Jujube during pregnancy helps to alleviate insomnia and mood swings during pregnancy.
- Boosts Immunity: Jujube is loaded with vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants in jujube fight against free radical damage, thereby, boost the immunity.
- Helps To Regulate Blood Pressure: Jujube contains Rutin. This helps to strengthen and increase the flexibility of the blood vessel. Thus, this fruit is beneficial for expecting mothers who contact pregnancy-induced hypertension.
- Alleviate Muscle Pains: It is quite common that the expecting mothers come across several episodes of muscle pains and joint pains. The anti-inflammatory property of jujube helps to combat these issues during pregnancy.
- Enhances Bone strength: Inadequate calcium and phosphorous during pregnancy is one of the root causes of osteoporosis in the future. Jujube contains the minerals calcium and phosphorus, which are vital in strengthening your bones and enhancing the general bone health.
Are There Any Side Effects of Eating Excessive Jujube Fruit While Pregnant?
As such, there are no side-effects of consuming jujubes throughout pregnancy if it is fresh and taken in moderation. However, if taken in excess it can harm the body. Some of the side effects are given as under:
- In case jujubes are taken in excess, it can lead to insomnia.
- Enriched with calcium the overdose of jujubes could lead to muscle pains.
- It can also result in high blood pressure.
- Excess of iron content present in jujubes can help in blood loss.
- There are chances of constipation and hyperacidity.
- In some cases, reports have come of an increased level of fatigue and exhaustion.
How To Consume Jujube Fruit While Pregnant?
Jujubes can be consumed as it is or in juice form. Yet it is important that it is peeled properly since it is difficult to digest it, in case not peeled it stays or sticks to the intestinal walls. But since the peel has the maximum nutrients one should not throw it. You can always cook it in the form of a stew to get the maximum nourishment from it.
How Much Jujubes To Consume While Pregnant?
Consuming jujube during pregnancy is highly beneficial. However, it should be remembered that when it comes to pregnancy, moderation is the key. Consuming 20-25 jujubes in one-go can shoot the blood pressure and blood sugar level, which is very dangerous for the smooth progression of pregnancy. Anyway, around 5 Jujubes will not do any harm.
Who Cannot Eat Jujube fruit During Pregnancy?
Expecting women experiencing gestational diabetes should stay away from this fruit. This is owing to the fact that this fruit is high in sugar and this will negatively affect the blood sugar level. Likewise, the expectant mothers should only consume fresh jujubes. In case they consume jujubes that are exposed to air it can lead to rotting and can result in dizziness and sometimes can turn very lethal to the mother as well as the baby.
How To Select and Store Jujube Fruit?
Selecting: The proper way to select ripe jujubes is by the color, the one which is semi-ripe is green whereas the fully ripe one is brown. Also, select the fruit on its texture. Never choose jujubes which have scars.
Storing: Once the ripened fruit is bought, it can be stored at room temperature and for a maximum period of four days. However, you can store it in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. On the other hand, dried jujube can be stored in airtight container for months.
Two Recipes Of Jujube Fruit For The Expecting Mother
Savoury Jujube Dessert Topping
- Chop 30 pieces of jujubes by cutting the stems and deseeding them.
- Combine the jujubes fruit in a cooker
- Add 13 cup raw sugar, 14 cup honey, a pinch of salt, zest of a lemon or the juice of half piece of lemon, 12 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract,14 cup brandy, 1tablespoon tapioca, 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh ginger to the jujubes and cook on low heat stirring in between
- Once done, check if jujubes are soft.
- Remove from the heat and cool it.
- Put the mixture in the food processor and churn.
- Serve with fresh beaten cream and season with walnuts, raisins or ice cream.
Fresh Candy Jujube
- Put 8 ounces pitted dried jujube fruit through a food processor and chop them finely.
- In a mixing bowl, add 1/2 powdered sugar gradually till it becomes stiff.
- Now add 1 tbsp coriander, then 2-3 tablespoons brandy.
- This mixture should be slightly moist.
- Shape into marble size balls.
- Roll the balls in the leftover powdered sugar and place a nut in the middle of every ball.
- Leave it overnight for it to become dry and then store in airtight containers.
Thus, consumption of Indian jujubes throughout pregnancy is beneficial for the expectant mother as well as the unborn baby. But it is important to have it in moderation as excess could be harmful to the growth and development of the baby.