Pregnancy is a time when great care is required for the proper growth of the fetus. Elder people always prescribe mothers to take a rest and to walk carefully. It is also advised not to rush and walk on uneven roads and climb stairs during pregnancy. As these can lead to a fall and can be harmful to both mother and child. So let’s have a look at the questions that come in minds of the ladies about the fall in pregnancy.
What Are The Reasons For Falling During Pregnancy?
Most of the women during pregnancy have faced the condition of falling. A study was done on the pregnant ladies that concluded about 27% of ladies have fallen at least once during their pregnancies. And about 10% of ladies have to fall various times during pregnancy.
There are various reasons for the falling of pregnant women that make them lose their balance while walking. Some of the reasons are discussed below:
- Uncomfortable Pregnancy Changes: Changes occurring during pregnancy makes the mother confuse, uncomfortable within her body and exhausted. These reasons are enough to make her fall.
- Swollen Feet:Swelling that occurs in the feet due to pregnancy. Swelling makes your feet numb and clumsy. Have you ever thought about how it feels to move with such swelled feet?
- Pregnancy Hormone Relaxin: This hormone is involved in the falling of the mother. Its work in the body is to relax the muscles. You might be thinking how it will make you fall? Not only the muscles, but it also relaxes the joint and ligaments that cause inability in your feet to walk.
- Low Blood Sugar And Pressure: Low blood sugar and blood pressure are common complications during pregnancy. Due to them pregnant women feels dizziness and loses her balance and fall down.
- Alterations In Center Of Gravity:That growing baby bump makes it really difficult for the mother to walk. It imbalances the body of the mother. On uneven surfaces it becomes very difficult for the mother to walk as the center of gravity is shifting due to the huge baby bump.
When Can A Fall During The Pregnancy Be Dangerous?
There are various complications related to the fall of the mother. These factors are different as in the case of the mother and fetus both. Severity or the danger of such factors is based on these four points:
1. Mother’s Age:
Level of severity and danger increases with the age. Complications are seen more in the mothers over the age of 35 years. In such cases, you should consult a doctor as fast as possible after the fall even if you don’t feel any serious problem.
Hardness and the softness of the surface also have an impact on the severity of complications due to falling. Problems are more severe if the mother falls on hard surfaces rather than a soft one. In spite of this fact, many mothers have given birth to a healthy baby even after falling on a hard surface.
3. Impact Strength Of Fall:
This is the most important factor that determines the severity and danger of the fall. This means falling on your buttocks with great force can be more dangerous to pregnancy and baby than a minor fall on the tummy.
4. Stages Of The Pregnancy:
The severity of complications also lies in the different stages of pregnancy. There are basically three stages of pregnancy _ First Trimester, second trimester and third trimester.
Let’s have a look at the different complications that occur during these three trimesters:
1. Falling During The First Trimester Of Pregnancy:
Complications are less severe during the first trimester of pregnancy. After a fall you should not panic and just lie down and take some rest. Even if you feel some abdominal pain you should visit your doctor and seek medical help.
2. Falling During The Second Trimester Of Pregnancy:
In second-trimester symptoms are more severe than the first trimester as the uterus is not tucked anymore in the pelvic floor. Complications related to fall in the second trimester can be harmful to both the fetus and mother and especially if you fall over your tummy. If you feel the following symptoms just go and visit your physician:
- Spotting or bleeding from the vagina
- Tenderness in the abdomen
- Reduced fetal movement
- Uterine contractions
- Severe pain after falling
3. Falling During The Third Trimester Of Pregnancy:
Severity increases more than the second trimester in the third trimester. There are more cases of fall during the third trimester due to increased clumsiness and fatigue. There are various cases seen of premature labor pains due to fall in the third trimester. If you feel any of the following complications just rush to your physician:
- Bleeding or spotting from the vagina.
- Feeling of dizziness and fainting.
- Not able to feel the baby movement
- Leakage of amniotic fluid.
- Contractions and the shortage of breathing.
What Are The Possible Complications Due To Falling During Pregnancy?
More often than not, the uterus will not suffer any permanent damage or trauma by means of a minor fall. However, if the fall is very hard or if you get the hit in a particular angle, some complications can happen.
Some of the potential complications associated with falling during pregnancy are:
- A broken bone in mother
- Skull injury of the fetus
- Placental abruption
- Fetomaternal hemorrhage (the fetal blood cells getting into the maternal circulation)
How Can You Prevent Yourself From Falling?
Due to such severe and dangerous complications due to falling it becomes very important to opt for some precautions:
- Wear comfortable and non-slippery slippers
- Be extra careful on bathroom’s slippery floor
- Use an anti-skid shower mat
- Try to walk on even surfaces
- Avoid high heels
- Do not rush in corridors.
- Avoid walking on grassy areas
- Take the support of sidebars while climbing stairs.
- Take proper diet so your blood glucose and pressure level do not fall down
Falling can be very harmful to both mother and child. Precautions should be taken by mother. In cases of fall, the mother should consult the doctor as soon as possible if she feels any discomfort. Now that you know all the essential facts related to falling and it can impact the mother’s body and the baby inside it, it is time to take care of all the steps during pregnancy. Along with this, take care of the diet too so that you stay healthy along with the baby.