Kids get more attracted to colours and crunchiness and so parents should offer all different types of fruits and vegetables as a part of their diet. Along with colour they even offer a bundle of nutrient intake which is crucial for the healthy growth as well as development. It even prevents us from many diseases and offers many health benefits as it has ample vitamins and minerals as well. Since it has so many benefits, let us study its nutrition value, the right time to introduce it to the baby, the preventive measures to be taken, benefits, selection and storage procedure and some yummy recipes as well.
- Kiwi For Babies: Know The Nutritional Facts Of Kiwi
- Some interesting nutrition facts about Kiwi
- When Can I Introduce Kiwi To My Baby?
- Do Kiwi Seeds Need To Be Removed?
- How To Select And Store Kiwis For Babies?
- Benefits Of Kiwis For Infant
- Measures To Be Taken While Giving Kiwi To Your Baby
- When To Avoid Offering Kiwis For Baby?
- What Are The Symptoms Of Kiwi Allergy?
- Kiwi Recipes For Baby Food
Kiwi For Babies: Know The Nutritional Facts Of Kiwi
Kiwi is a powerhouse of nutrients, but it has few acidic properties due to the presence of Vitamin C which might result in loose bowel movements for the baby or a stomach ache. Some babies, even spit it up if they do not like its taste.
Some interesting nutrition facts about Kiwi
- They are loaded with vitamins, fiber, folates and antioxidants.
- It helps in boosting the immune system of the babies and even helps in healing the wounds.
- It even helps in relieving from constipation issues and even helps in preventing diseases.
- It is helpful to fight against cancer.
- It helps to lower the fat level in blood and even helps in the prevention of asthma.
- It is a powerhouse of calcium, iron, chromium, copper, potassium, magnesium, and zinc.
Given below is a table depicting the nutritional value of Kiwi
|Vitamin A||0.26 mg|
|Vitamin C||92.7 mg|
|Vitamin E||1.5 mg|
|Vitamin K||40.3 ug|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg|
When Can I Introduce Kiwi To My Baby?
Kiwi should only be introduced when the child is in the age bracket of 8th and 9th month. In case the baby develops a stomach ache or any diaper rashes, the consumption should be stopped at that time and repeated after a lapse of some months Always start with a small serving and see the reactions. Once the baby starts relishing, only then add it to the regular intake.
Do Kiwi Seeds Need To Be Removed?
The seeds of this fruit need not be removed as they are too small and do not pose a choking threat. Moreover, even these are loaded with good nutrients, vitamins, folate as well as potassium. They are an excellent source of fiber as well as antioxidants and are edible as well.
How To Select And Store Kiwis For Babies?
It is always good to choose an organic kiwi. Kiwi does not get contaminated with pesticides like other fruits. Never pick a kiwi where the skin is patchy and looks dry. It is advisable to choose a firm kiwi and wait for it to ripen.
Unripe kiwis should always be placed in a paper bag along with other fruits like banana, apple, pear and the kiwi would ripen in about two days. The kiwis can even be stored in the refrigerator for three to four weeks and for almost a week if kept outside.
Benefits Of Kiwis For Infant
- Since it has a high vitamin C value, it helps to boost the immune system.
- As they are a good source of fiber, they prove excellent to relieve from constipation issues.
- You can count on the kiwi fruit for your baby’s 10% of the RDA for folic acid and 10% RDA for Vitamin E.
- Kiwi is rich in phytonutrients and therefore it can provide protection to the baby from some kinds of cancer.
Measures To Be Taken While Giving Kiwi To Your Baby
Certain measures that one must keep in mind before offering kiwi to the baby are as follows:
- In case the baby shows any reactions from the consumption of fruits like papaya, pineapple, there are chances that kiwi would have the same reaction as well.
- If allergic to kiwi, the baby will have a fever, swollen lips and face, vomiting, breathing problems as well as wheezing.
- Always feed smaller servings and look for reactions.
- Always take medical assistance prior to introducing any new fruit or food for the baby.
When To Avoid Offering Kiwis For Baby?
Never give Kiwi to your baby if he or she has:
- Hay fever
- Sensitive tummy
- Acid reflux issues
Also, never introduce kiwi to baby if he or she has already exhibited allergic reactions to
- Sesame seeds
Somehow the birch pollen allergies, cedar allergies and latex allergies are tend to be linked with kiwi fruit as well.
What Are The Symptoms Of Kiwi Allergy?
The symptoms of kiwi allergy most probably become visible within two hours after eating this fruit. The symptoms involve:
- Swelling of face, tongue, and lips
- Sore mouth
Kiwi Recipes For Baby Food
Kiwi is a bit acidic, so it is best to combine it with some other fruit to feed the baby for the first time. Example, mix it with banana puree. This also helps to develop the taste and the child loves to eat more.
Some nutritious and fresh kiwi recipes beneficial for the baby are given as below:
1. Yummy Kiwi Puree
In order to make the kiwi puree
- Peel the kiwi and blend it in a mixer to get the right consistency.
- One can even add fruits or pear, mix it in the blender with the kiwi puree and give to the baby.
2. Kiwi Salad For Infants
- Take 1 peeled and diced kiwi, 1 peeled and finely chopped pear, and ½ peeled and diced banana to a bowl.
- Now add some crushed cereal over it.
- Put it in the blender and add yoghurt in the end just to season.
Thus, it can be seen that Kiwis though small in size, but are a pack of flavour and umpteen health benefits. They have all the essential vitamins as well as minerals that offer a nutritional boost and leads to healthy development.