The sweet and alluring scent of watermelon fills the summer season! This fruit is known to quench your thirst and satisfy your taste buds. If you’re pregnant, the benefits are even more delicious. Watermelon is a must-have fruit during pregnancy. As the name suggests, 92% of this summer fruit is water. Watermelon is also an excellent source of vital nutrients, including Vitamin A, C, B6, magnesium, and potassium. Watermelon seeds are crunchy and equally beneficial and can be consumed wholly. So if you are craving for watermelons during pregnancy and not sure of its benefits, then keep reading.
10 Amazing Benefits Of Watermelon During Pregnancy
Eating watermelon is highly beneficial in the course of pregnancy. Most doctors would suggest you have watermelon when you are expecting as it is full of nutrients. Some of the amazing benefits of watermelon are:
- Alleviates morning sickness: The effect of the morning sickness can be reduced by consuming watermelon regularly. Watermelon gives a very refreshing, soothing and light start to the day. Drinking a glass of fresh watermelon juice early in the morning or few freshly cut watermelon cubes are the best way to start a day that is will prevent the occurrence of morning sickness
- Reduces chances of preeclampsia: The red color of watermelon is due to an antioxidant called Lycopene. Among all the fruits and vegetables, watermelon is the richest source of lycopene. It helps to reduce the risk of preeclampsia during pregnancy which can be a dangerous condition for both you and your baby
- Relieves heart burns: Pregnant women commonly have digestive issues like heartburn and acidity. Watermelon reduces these difficulties by soothing the food pipe and stomach. It’s cooling property will provide an instant relief from heartburn
- Helps to prevent edema: Edema, the swelling of the feet and hands, is very common during pregnancy. The high-water-content of watermelon reduces any obstructions in the veins and the muscles and thereby helps prevent edema during pregnancy
- Prevents muscle cramps: Apart from morning sickness, muscle cramps is another problem that bothers most of the pregnant women. Muscle cramps are the pain in the muscles due to changes in the body that occur as pregnancy progresses. l-Citrulline is an amino acid that reduces muscle soreness by helping the muscles to get oxygen faster. It is found abundantly in watermelon. Consuming watermelon is found to ease muscle cramps during pregnancy
- Supports the development of fetus: Watermelon is highly nutritious. It contains vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6, and minerals like potassium and magnesium. It is highly beneficial in the development of eyes, brain, nervous and skeletal system of the unborn baby. The potassium and calcium content helps with the bone formation of the fetus
- Prevents pigmentation: Pigmentation is another issue that many women face during pregnancy. Eating watermelon regularly aids to prevent pigmentation. Watermelon flushes the toxin out of the body and supports healthy bowel movement. This will help to maintain the healthy glow of the skin and keep pigmentation at bay
- Boosts immunity: The lycopene that reduces the chances of preeclampsia as mentioned above, will also help in boosting the immunity. Also, it is a rich source of vitamin C. which keeps away any kind of illness
- Prevents dehydration: As already mentioned 92 % of watermelon is water. Therefore, consuming watermelon regularly will prevent dehydration in pregnant women
- Diuretic and detoxifying property: Its diuretic and detoxifying property help to maintain the health of internal organs like kidney and decreases the chance of UTI (urinary tract infection) which is common among pregnant women
Is It Safe To Have Watermelon Juice During Pregnancy?
Yes. As long as freshly cut watermelon is used for juicing. Watermelon juice is equally beneficial as watermelon slices. To make juice, take 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon in a blender and puree it until smooth. Sieve this juice and discard the pulp. Consume the juice immediately. Don’t add water or sugar while making juice. You can even add a few sprigs of mint and a one-inch piece of ginger. This will help to keep nausea at baby during pregnancy.
What Are The Benefits Of Watermelon Seeds During Pregnancy?
You may be accustomed to spitting out seeds while consuming watermelon. But the nutritional value of the seeds may make you regret it. Watermelon seeds are low in calories and nutrient dense. When roasted, they become crispy and can be a healthy snack option during pregnancy. Some other benefits of consuming watermelon seeds during pregnancy include:
- Watermelon seeds are rich in vitamin C, which is highly beneficial for the immune system of the growing fetus
- Watermelon seeds contain nutrients such as vitamin B, potassium, iron, magnesium, folate, and zinc. They are also a good source of healthy fats and protein. All these are beneficial for the healthy development of the fetus
So, go ahead and consume a hand full of roasted, seasoned, or raw watermelon seeds (according to your wish) daily for a healthier pregnancy and a healthy baby.
Side Effects Of Consuming Watermelon During Pregnancy
Despite its numerous benefits, when eaten in excess watermelon can cause problems in the course of pregnancy. Here are some of the side effects that too much consumption of watermelon can cause during pregnancy:
- Over consumption of watermelon can increase the blood sugar levels thereby increasing the chances of gestational diabetes in pregnant women
- Consuming watermelon that is kept in open for some time can cause gastric issues. Therefore, always eat freshly cut watermelon or freshly prepared watermelon juice especially, during pregnancy
- Water melon has detoxifying power. It helps to maintain the health of internal organs. However, overconsumption of watermelon can result in flushing out essential nutrients from the body along with toxins
Like other foods during pregnancy, do check with your doctor before consuming watermelon during pregnancy. Like always moderation is key here.
Does Craving Watermelon Determine The Gender Of Your Baby?
There is no scientific proof that food cravings and the gender of your baby are connected. However, it is said that craving for fruits indicates that the baby is a girl. It is based on the theory that a lot of pregnant women who craved fruits like melon, orange and berries ended up delivering a baby girl. But there is no truth to this. While this old wives’ tale may have questionable accuracy, it is definitely fun and wacky to try.
So did you crave for watermelon during pregnancy? In what ways did you consume watermelon during pregnancy? Do share your experience in the comments section below.