Couples trying to get pregnant are often found investing in pregnancy test kits available in the markets. Though these kits are convenient to use you cannot deny the fact that they are quite expensive especially when you use them very often.
Are There Any Homemade Pregnancy Tests?
Yes, there are. Before the advent of pregnancy test kits, women all over the world detected pregnancy with the help of household products. With a few tools, mostly off your kitchen counter you can detect whether you are pregnant or not. Basically, pregnancy is detected by the presence of a hormone called Human Chronic Gonadotropin (hCG) in the urine. Hence, these homemade tests revolve around the detection of HCG in the urine. Click here if you wish to know about 8 most common pregnancy tests.
How Do You Make A Homemade Pregnancy Test?
For those women who wish to confirm their pregnancy in a totally private and inexpensive ways, there are a number of ingredients available in your kitchen that you can use. Making a pregnancy test at home is simple, easy and pretty cost effective. Moreover, you need not go anywhere to purchase the commercial testers. A homemade pregnancy test also enables you to confirm the pregnancy in a completely safe way. Presented below are some of the most common pregnancy tests that can be easily made at home using ingredients commonly available.
10 Homemade/DIY Pregnancy Tests
Below are 10 homemade/ DIY pregnancy test that are easy to conduct and won’t cost much either. However, do remember that no test is 100% accurate – neither commercial nor homemade.
- Toothpaste Home Pregnancy Test: To conduct a pregnancy test with toothpaste you will need a clean bowl and spatula and toothpaste of course. Make sure the toothpaste you use is plain while and not of any other color. Also opt for simple toothpaste not the one that contains grains. Steer clear of gel based toothpaste as well. In a clean bowl squeeze some toothpaste. Add a few drops of urine to the bowl and mix it well with a spatula, spoon or a brush. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes.
If after some time the toothpaste turns blue or frothy, it means the result is positive and that you are likely pregnant
- Bleach Home Pregnancy Test: To conduct a test using bleach all you will need is a bowl/ container and some bleach. You can use the same bleach use for clothes to conduct this test. Simply add some urine to the bleach and leave the mixture for some time. If the mixture foams up or becomes fizzy it means that the results are positive. If the mixture remains unchanged that means you are not pregnant
- Sugar Pregnancy Test: You can easily detect pregnancy with a sugar pregnancy test. All you need is some granulated sugar which is practically available in every household. Take some sugar in a bowl or a container and add some urine to it. If in a few minutes the sugar forms clumps, it means the test is positive. If the sugar dissolves in the urine it means the result is negative and you are not pregnant
- Pine Sol Pregnancy Test: Pine Sol is a cleaning agent and it is easily available at any supermarket or grocery store. To conduct the test take some Pine Sol in a bowl and add the urine to it. If the color of pine sol changes that means you are pregnant and if it doesn’t change that it means you are not
- Dandelion Test: Dandelion is a common weeds grown is parks and gardens. To conduct a pregnancy test you need to collect dandelion leaves that are not directly exposed to sunlight.
Take some leaves in a bowl and add urine to it. Let the mixture sit for 8-10 minutes. After the allotted time if you observe that the leaves have developed red blisters it means the test results are positive and you are pregnant. If the leaves remain unchanged that means the result is negative
- White Vinegar Home Pregnancy Test: Another easily available product that will help you to detect pregnancy is white vinegar. Take some vinegar in a bowl and add urine to it. The change in color indicates positive results. If the mixture remains unchanged it means you are not pregnant
- Tuna and Vinegar Juice Test: Take half cup tuna juice and half cup vinegar and vinegar. Mix them together and then add urine to the mixture. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes. If the color changes that means you are pregnant and if the mixture remains unchanged it means you are not pregnant
- Urine Sampling Test: This test requires nothing else expect your urine. Collect morning urine in a container and leave the container undisturbed for 24 hours. If after 24 hours a thin layer of foam forms at the surface it means you are pregnant. If the urine remains unchanged then the result is negative
- Soap water Test: Another option to conduct a DIY pregnancy test is to use soap water. Add some urine to some soap water and wait for some time. If the color changes you are pregnant and if it remains unchanged you are not. This test is not as effective as the bleach test. Only if you do not have bleach handy opt for this test
- Baking Soda Pregnancy Test: Pregnancy can also be confirmed at home with a homemade pregnancy test using baking soda. Baking soda pregnancy test has been found to give 70% accurate results. To take the baking soda pregnancy test, take 2 table spoons baking soda in a container and add 1 tablespoon urine. If the baking soda fizzles then the test result is positive and you are pregnant. If the soda doesn’t react with the urine that means you are not pregnant
When Should I Take A Home Pregnancy Test?
Pregnancy cannot be detected immediately after coitus. You need to wait atleast 3 weeks before conducting any test to get accurate results. The best time to take a pregnancy test is the first day you miss your period, preferably with the first urine you pass in the morning.
How Can I Achieve Accurate Results With Home Pregnancy Tests?
While conducting a homemade/DIY pregnancy test, make sure you use morning sample of the urine. This is because the first urine of the day contains high levels of HCG which helps to detect pregnancy effectively. Also avoid urinating in the middle of the night since it decreases the level of HCG in the morning urine.
Are Homemade Pregnancy Tests 100% Accurate?
Homemade and DIY tests are not 100 % accurate. These tests can serve as mere indicators that you might be pregnant. After a positive result you can confirm the pregnancy by consulting a doctor.
The accuracy of these tests depends on the hCG content in the urine which highest in the morning urine. Conducting a test in the middle of the day or in the night may affect the result. A 100% accuracy can only be guaranteed by a urine test carried out in hospitals. It may be mentioned here that even the commercial pregnancy test kits are not 100% accurate.
What Are The Other Signs Of Pregnancy?
It goes without saying that one of the most common symptoms of detecting pregnancy is missed period. However, you could miss your period for various other reasons as well. Another sign is that the nipples become extra sensitive and even swell a little when pregnant. Morning sickness is another sign of pregnancy. Also the body temperature rises slightly when pregnant. Click here to read about early other signs of pregnancy.