Pregnancy is a very delicate phase in a woman’s life. When you are pregnant, you will be coming across relatives and friends advising you on what to eat and what to steer clear off. Undoubtedly a balanced diet provides you with the right amount of nutrients and minerals required for healthy pregnancy and healthy baby. What to consume and what not to will be a matter of debate during this phase. Consuming a safe herb like ginger will also fill your mind with doubt around its safety during this time. So, is it safe to eat ginger during pregnancy? Read on to find out more on this.
- Is Ginger Safe To Consume During Pregnancy?
- 12 Benefits Of Eating Ginger During Pregnancy
- Side Effects Of Eating Ginger During Pregnancy
- How To Include Ginger In Your Pregnancy Diet
Is Ginger Safe To Consume During Pregnancy?
Yes, it is safe to consume ginger during pregnancy. But try and consume fresh ginger only and avoid its dried form. This is a wonderful herb that is found in almost all kitchens and has umpteen medicinal benefits. So, ginger is ideal to consume during pregnancy. Known as a “super food”, this lovely herb provides a wonderful flavor to any food.
12 Benefits Of Eating Ginger During Pregnancy
- Averts morning sickness: Morning sickness and nausea are common during pregnancy. Since ginger is a known soothing agent, it provides relief from morning sickness and keeps nausea at bay. You can consume homemade ginger ale or ginger tea in order to soothe those tummy issues
- Helps to control cholesterol levels: Ginger is ideal to keep cholesterol levels in check especially during pregnancy phase
- Hikes up blood circulation: Ginger has been proven to hike up the circulation of blood in the system and ensure that there is proper supply of blood to the fetus
- Helps to check levels of sugar in your blood: Ginger has an important role to play in ensuring that blood sugar levels are regulated in your body. This helps to ensure that both the expecting mother and the unborn baby remain healthy. This lovely herb is also ideal in combating tiredness and exhaustion and provides you with a boost of energy
- Helps your system to absorb more nutrients: Due to various reasons, like improper diet or some infection, the body’s ability to absorb nutrients lowers. Ginger has been proven to be excellent in supporting your system to absorb the nutrients and also supply it to the unborn baby
- Prevents heartburn and bloating: Ginger is also is found to be a wonderful medicine in relieving heartburn that most women often experience during pregnancy. It helps to combat the acids the trigger heartburn. Having ginger tea with a few drops of fresh lime is excellent to prevent heartburn during pregnancy. Digestion also becomes quite slow when you conceive in order to ensure the fetus is able to absorb all the required nutrients. This leads to bloating and a feeling of heaviness. Sipping ginger tea just before you go to bed has proven to be quite effective in averting this feeling of heaviness and bloating during pregnancy
- Cures Inflammation: With anti-inflammatory properties, ginger is the best remedy for swelling and any inflammation that you may experience during your pregnancy
- Lowers pregnancy pains : Any kind of pain that your suffer during your pregnancy like lower back ache, stomach ache or any joint pains can all be reduced to an extent by consuming ginger
- Combats cough and cold: Ginger is a wonderful cure for treating minor infections, irritating cough and common colds. When you are pregnant, your immune system becomes quite sluggish, making you susceptible to infections. Ginger is found to boost your immune system and help you recover soon from any minor ailments
- Provides relaxation to overworked muscles: Pregnancy takes a toll on your muscles and bones. The muscles become quite worn out and also makes you feel extremely tired. Ginger tea can provide you with wonderful relief from sore bones and muscles that normally results from back ache, sore feet or sciatica during pregnancy
- Helps to keep sex desire alive: Most pregnant women find their sexual desires on the decline during pregnancy. Ginger is found to be a great libido booster. Ginger helps to warm your system and increase the blood circulation in the body especially towards the genital regions
- Makes your baby robust: Using fresh ginger during pregnancy will provide your body with vitamin C and iron. This in turn supports the immune system of the unborn baby and also lowers any congenital disability risk in your baby
Side Effects Of Eating Ginger During Pregnancy
Consuming fresh ginger in moderation during pregnancy is perfectly safe, but still you need to take care of certain things while eating ginger. This includes:
- Make sure your doctor gives you the green signal to have ginger before including this herb in your daily diet if you are on any kind of medication
- You need to steer clear of ginger if you happen to have any kind of medical history like prior abortion, vaginal bleeding, clotting disorder or dizzy spells
- If you are a suffering from gestational diabetes, you should avoid ginger as it can affect your sugar levels
- Have ginger only in moderation as excessive consumption can lead to miscarriage or can have adverse effects on you or your unborn baby
- It is better to consume homemade ginger ale during pregnancy. But if you are using store bought ginger ale, read the ingredients list as some brands do not use ginger at all in it
How To Include Ginger In Your Pregnancy Diet
Be it ginger candies, capsules or even chewable tablets, these become a great life saver whenever you feel nauseous. Making ginger tea or adding it as a spice to your veggies and meat are all ways to include ginger in your diet. Some more ways to include ginger in your pregnancy diet are:
- Drink ginger infusion. For this you can mix one teaspoon ginger juice with one cup of hot water. Let it brew for five minutes and then consume it
- You can add shredded ginger to your soups or any curries that you make
- You can make a soothing tea by boiling an inch piece of ginger, some fresh mint leaves and a small piece of cinnamon stick in water
Hope the above information will be helpful to you. Do share with us in the comments section below if you consumed ginger during pregnancy and how did you include it in your pregnancy diet? How this herb benefited you in your pregnancy period?
1. Can Ginger Cause Indigestion During Pregnancy?
Ginger helps with digestion. It can cause heartburns though. Do not consume it in excess.
2. Is Ginger Heat Inducing Food?
Yes, it is. This is why consumption has to be limited. Over consumption can harm pregnancy.
3. Can I Have Ginger Tea When Pregnant?
Yes, you can. In moderation. Have homemade teas with fresh ginger if possible.
4. Can Ginger help The Fetus Growth?
There are no studies to show it does. High dosage of ginger can cause miscarriage. Ensure you don’t over-consume it.