Waiting for the arrival of the baby is a great feeling. But before that, it is important to seek appropriate nutrition, and for that, it is important to well and balanced diet which is enriched with nutrients and vitamins which are vital for the development of the baby and can even relieve from pains, discomfort and fuel up the energy that is needed during pregnancy. In the list of nutrition, all pregnant ladies should also enlist some superfoods as they are rich with enzymes.
Foods like papaya, ripe pineapple, yoghurt, avocados, kimchi and few drinks like kombucha and kefir are the ideal choices one can add to the list. These foods support the process of digestion as well.
Significance Of Superfood In Pregnancy
The phase of pregnancy is one where one needs to be attentive and cautious in terms of eating, exercising, walking etc and sure enough there are many pieces of advice available as well. The importance of having these foods is listed as under:
- Superfoods consumed helps with adequate development of the foetus. Pregnant ladies need vitamins, minerals, calcium, protein, folic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium etc to keep both the mother as well as the baby healthy and happy.
- Due to being enriched with minerals and vitamins, the superfoods also help in getting rid of any ailments and even help to keep one healthy. These are even good for a healthy heart, in losing weight, enhance the energy within the body.
- Since it has antioxidants it can even help to fight or with the prevention of cancer.
- The superfoods have healthy fats as well that minimise the chances of a cardiac arrest.
- These foods have fibre as well that can help in the prevention from diabetes, can help in reducing the cholesterol levels as well as minimise irritation and even control the body metabolism.
- Superfoods also help to flush out toxins from the body.
- It is important to have a balanced diet and that should not only include superfoods but other foods as well. Since no single food can offer all nutrients, it is important to have a combination of all foods and not just one.
It is integral to keep oneself healthy and have a nutrient-enriched diet comprising of nuts, proteins, legumes, vegetables, grains, fruits etc while avoiding refined sugar, sodium and bad fats. This should be taken in a combination with adequate exercise and physical activity in moderation as it can be fruitful for the mother and the baby.
Ten Pregnancy Superfoods, Its Advantages And How To Prepare (If It Is A Dish)
After knowing the importance of superfoods, let us now discuss what are some of the superfoods that should be added to the existing diet of a pregnant lady and even the benefits one can get from them. While adding the superfoods to the diet of a pregnant woman, it is important to know that most of them are beneficial when taken in the natural or unprocessed form as they tend to lose their nutrient value if sugar is added to them.
Ten pregnancy superfoods with their benefits are listed as under:
1. Enzyme Enriched Foods:
The process of digestion is not very fast during pregnancy which is why pregnant women face digestive problems like constipation, gases, heartburns etc. By consuming enzyme enriched foods like chia seeds or kale, one can benefit a lot and some of its benefits are listed as under:
- Helps with enhancing the digestion process.
- Helps in taking over the good bacteria.
2. Green Leafy Veggies:
It is recommended to have the leafy green veggies with beetroot and strawberries as they are an ideal source of folate, which is the natural form of folic acid, the tablets of which are recommended to the pregnant woman in pregnancy and advantages of folic acid are given as below:
- Folic acid helps in preventing neural defects and foetal abnormalities.
- The green leafy vegetables also comprise of minerals and vitamins like e, c, k, b and a.
3. Wild Seafood And Omega 3’s:
Seafood and wild fishes are a powerhouse of minerals like selenium, zinc, iodine and proteins as well. Few fishes like salmon, sardine are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants and the importance of consumption of omega 3’s and wild seafood are given as under:
- The acids and antioxidants help in the healthy functioning of the brain, eyes, nervous system
- It helps to combat inflammation issues.
- Having fish in the last trimester is also known to help with the motor development, cognitive and sensory development of the child.
- They even help in preventing preeclampsia which is aninstant rise in the blood pressure accompanied by swelling.
4. Red Raspberry Leaf Tea:
This tea is ideal for the muscles toning in the pelvic region. It is enriched with Vitamins E, A, B and C as well as minerals like potassium, phosphorus and magnesium. The importance of its consumption is listed as under:
- It helps in strengthening the uterus muscles thereby helping with labour.
- It comprises of flavonoids that help in the prevention of cell damage.
- They help in the destruction of cancer cells.
- It helps in the prevention of vomiting and nausea.
5. Natural Drinks:
Ideally, enzyme-rich foods are enough to help with digestive issues, but if still the digestive ailments cannot be cured, then the answer is the consumption of natural drinks and these are listed with their benefits.
Coconut Water: Coconut water is enriched with electrolytes and has minerals like magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium and they help with
- Soothing the digestive system
- Helps with the digestion
- Helps in getting rid of constipation.
- Good for a healthy heart
- Helps in fighting infections
Homemade Lemonade: Lemons are a great source of Vitamin C and good for the body and the skin and its benefits are:
- They help in boosting up the digestion process
- They are good for the liver and the bladder
Recipe- For making lemonade at home, one needs to squeeze two lemons and add half glass water with honey and keep drinking within the day.
Apple Cider Vinegar: This is made from fermented apples and a very famous natural and home remedy. This should be taken in moderation and its benefits are given as under:
- This is known to help with the problem of morning sickness.
- It is known to boost up the body’s metabolism.
- It is good for the heartburn.
- It helps the yeast and urinary tract infection.
6. Root Vegetables:
These vegetables are loaded with phytonutrients, minerals and vitamins and are good for the health. These are good as they provide;
- Energy to the body
- Help with the thyroids and the adrenaline.
- Calcium present in the root vegetables is good for bone health.
- They help with the neural development of the baby.
- Presence of Omega 3 fatty acids is also good for the visual ailments.
These delicious yet sweet and healthy snacks are good during pregnancy as they are enriched with fibre and an ideal source of getting natural fructose. Consuming dates are beneficial as:
- It results in a short duration of labours
- Membranes keep intact
- Pregnant woman having dates are known to go in the process of labour pregnancy naturally.
- Cervix is more dilated when consuming dates during pregnancy.
8. Organic, Free-Range Eggs:
Eggs are the ideal source of fats, protein and other important nutrients for the mother-baby duo. They are good as:
- They contain choline which is good for the memory, retention, enhance cognitive functions etc.
- A good source of protein which helps in the overall development of the baby.
- It helps in the prevention of anaemia.
- Help with the development of the baby’s brain.
These are the ideal source of plant-based proteins, folate, fibre, calcium, iron etc. These are good for a healthy pregnancy and an excellent way to add beans, lentils to the list. Few of the legumes that can be taken in pregnancy ate listed as under with heir benefits:
Lentils: This legume is very tiny in appearance and is available in different colours like black, green and red and is loaded with nutrients. Its health benefits are given as under:
- It helps in the baby’s muscle development.
- It helps to fight intestinal disorders and ailments.
- It helps in the prevention of birth defects.
Black Beans: Beans are also a good source of fibre, zinc, folate, magnesium and antioxidants, the beans are rich in appearance and its benefits are as below:
- Enriched with folate helps in the prevention of neural birth defects.
- Since it is a powerhouse of nutrients, it helps to fight fatigue, weakness and heart ailments.
- It helps to lower the blood sugar levels
- It helps to minimise the occurrence of cancer.
- They help with the irritable and discomforting bowel syndrome.
Black beans are not the only one but other options like kidney and split should also be added to the list as each food has something to offer. It is always advisable to soak the legumes or sprout them before consuming them as they lack certain antinutrients.
These are also the powerhouse of nutrients though very tiny in size. The benefits of having these are listed as under:
- Their consumption helps in fighting the stress levels.
- They help in the prevention of cell damage.
- It helps in the prevention of preeclampsia.
- It is good as it helps in controlling gestational diabetes.
Thus, pregnancy is a time when eating right makes a big difference, and it is even important to have a nourishing diet with healthy options and a combination of real foods and superfoods as it helps with the adequate growth of the mother and the baby.