Being pregnant implies a total revamping of your diet in order to ensure you have a healthy pregnancy and delivery. Ample amounts of fruits and veggies become an absolute must in the diet in order to ensure the mom- to- be receives all the required quantities of minerals and nutrients from the food she eats. Fresh fruit juices are always an excellent addition to your pregnancy diet and the next question arises as to which fruit juices are ideal and safe during this period. One such juice that people are apprehensive about drinking during this phase is sugar cane. This is a natural fresh juice which is well liked by people all over Latin America and Southeast Asia.
What Is Sugarcane?
Sugarcane belongs to the species of perennial and a tall grass commonly found in warm climates of Southeast Asia and is utilized for producing sugar. Sugarcane juice made fresh is sweet and is extremely good for health. Sugarcane juice is absolutely safe during pregnancy phase (unless you have diabetes – gestational or otherwise) and is loaded with all kinds of nutrients and vitamins including B6, B5, B3, B2, A, C and B1. This wonderful juice also contains traces of magnesium, iron and calcium.
How Can You Prepare Sugarcane Juice?
Preparing fresh juice from sugar cane is quite easy. All one needs to do is pass the stalk of a sugar cane through a machine that is manually operated to extract its delicious juice. Just strain the juice and enjoy a glass while it is still fresh. It tastes really lip smacking with a dash of ginger, mint leaves, black salt and ice cubes.
What Are The Benefits Of Sugarcane Juice During Pregnancy?
Lets look at 10 benefits of sugarcane juice for pregnant women:
- Rich in proteins: Sugarcane is rich in proteins and this is something which is vital for the baby and mom to be during this period
- Relief for constipation: Constipation is one of the most common banes of pregnancy that is experienced by majority of the women during this period. Good news is that sugar cane juice is ideal to help you get rid of this woe if you make this juice a part of your daily diet. This wonderful juice has also been proven to be quite good in averting tummy infections
- Helps to balance bilirubin levels: Sugarcane juice is ideal to ensure proper liver functions and keep your liver healthy as they help to keep bilirubin levels in check
- Gives a boost to the immunity: Sugarcane juice is also loaded with anti oxidants that are beneficial to keep unwanted infections at bay thus strengthening the immune system of the mother to be
- Relief from throat infections and colds: The juice of sugar cane has been found to provide excellent relief from cold and sore throat infections. This becomes a real blessing as it is always advised not to use over the counter medications during pregnancy period
- Low levels of Glycemic index: Sugar cane has been found to have comparatively low levels of Glycemic index that is ideal to keep energy levels in balance, and it may be allowed for diabetics in moderate amounts sometimes. This juice is also excellent to combat the tiredness that you experience during this phase
- Helps to keep weight in check: One of the most common apprehensions among pregnant women is gaining weight. Sugar cane contains traces of polyphenols that aid to speed up the metabolic rate helping to keep weight gain in check
- Averts morning sickness: Having a glass of fresh sugar cane juice mixed with a touch of ginger is found to be very effective in averting morning sickness in moms-to-be. Even having small portions more than once a day can help to reduce morning sickness considerably.
- Urinary Tract Infections: Most pregnant women contract urinary tract infections very easily during pregnancy period. Consuming sugar cane juice can help to avert this
- Good for skin and hair: Sugar cane juice contains sufficient quantities of riboflavin that is actually a vitamin B which is excellent for skin and hair
Precautions With Sugarcane Juice During Pregnancy
- Most importantly sugar cane juice needs to be prepared hygienically and consumed fresh as stale juice when consumed during pregnancy can lead to food poisoning that can be extremely serious
- Like any other foods, make sure you ask your doctor’s advice before making sugarcane juice a part of your daily diet
- Sugar cane juice is not recommended for regular consumptionif the mom-to- be is a victim of diabetes as it has a very high content of sugar
- Never drink sugar cane juice excessively as it may trigger some unwanted adverse effects
Thus on the whole, while sugar cane juice is a store house of nutrients, vitamins and minerals all that are extremely beneficial for you during this pregnancy phase, make sure you have moderate quantities as excess of anything during this stage can turn out to be risky.