Congratulations! We know you are in this page now because you have found out that you are pregnant. And once you have ensured that your pregnancy is healthy and the little fetus is growing as per schedule, the next biggest discussion point among family and friends would be the gender of the baby. And to be very honest, even if you don’t want to think about it till the delivery day, with all the discussions happening around you, you can’t help but wonder too. So here are some old wives’ tales that will help you to know if the new addition to your family is going to be a little girl— or a boy!
How To Find Gender Of Baby During Pregnancy Naturally?
Once your bump starts showing, everyone from your well-meaning mother-in-law, the aunty next door to people walking at the mall can tell your baby’s gender. Predictions are made and bets are placed. But of course, you have to wait till the delivery day to find out whose predictions are right and who won the bets. This is because, as you know, finding out the gender of the baby during a pregnancy ultrasound scan is illegal in India (and for good reason, considering the number of female feticides in the country). So, you have only guess work to go by. Interestingly, there are some tips and tricks that people use to figure out if they are having a boy or a girl. None of them are “scientific” or even at times accurate. Nevertheless, it just adds to the “fun” element of guessing the gender of your unborn child.
So here goes:
- You are having a boy if:
- The fetal heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute
- Your hands are too dry during pregnancy
- You did not face much morning sickness during the first trimester
- Add your age at the time of conception and the number of the month you conceived (January = 1; February = 2 etc), you get an even number
- You are carrying low. This means that if your pregnancy belly is heavier at the bottom than on top, then it’s a boy
- You experience stronger and more hair growth (although this happens to all pregnant women, women carrying boys are assumed to have stronger hair growth)
- You prefer sleeping on your left
- You have started looking duller and ‘not so good’ as before
- Mood wise, you are more aggressive, bolder and dominating than before
- You are craving for food that is salty and savory and not sweet
- You pass the garlic test. Eat one garlic and if your body smells of garlic, you are having a boy
- You feel your nose is growing bigger or “spreading”
- You have more hair growth on your legs
- Your areolas have become very dark
- Your nails are growing faster
- Father- to-be is also gaining weight just like you
- Your wedding ring moves in circles when you hang it over your pregnant belly
- You are having a girl if:
- You have morning sickness in the first trimester
- The fetal heart rate is at least 140 beats per minute
- Add your age at the time of conception and the number of the month you conceived (January = 1; February = 2 etc.), you get an odd number
- If your breasts grow a lot during pregnancy
- You are carrying high. That is, if you are pregnancy belly is heavier on top than bottom, then it is time to color your nursery pink! This is also how older ladies predict the baby’s gender just by looking at your tummy
- Your facial glow is more than the average pregnancy glow
- You prefer sleeping on your right
- Your hair is thinning, instead of growing stronger, during pregnancy
- You crave for sweet foods, and not for salty or savory foods
- You crave for fruits
- You have more acne than before
- You pass the baking soda gender test. Mix a bit of baking soda in your urine, if there is no reaction and the mixture does not turn fuzzy, then it is a girl
- Mood wise, you are more moody and irritable most times
- You have more stretch marks on your right than left
- Your linea nigra stops at the belly button
- Your wedding ring moves from side to side if you hang it over your pregnant belly
For tips in more detail, refer to Signs You Are Pregnant With A Boy!
For tips in more detail, refer to Signs You Are Pregnant With A Girl!
Hope you have some fun using these tips to determine if you are having a boy or a girl. Of course, the most important aspect is that the child has to be healthy – gender is not the priority. All the tips mentioned above are just for fun and not to be considered as final. That said, we can say this thing for sure – there is a 50% probability you will be blessed with a girl (or a boy, for that matter). Have a safe pregnancy and delivery!
Did you try any of these tricks to predict the gender of your baby? How accurate were you? Do you have more tips or tricks to share with us? Do tell your experience or share more tricks in the comments section below.